How to Import Data

Carl Klarner
Hello,
I am a very new user of R.  I've spent several hours trying to import
data, so I feel okay asking the list for help.  I had an Excel file,
then I turned it into a "csv" file, as instructed by directions.  My
filename is "x111.csv."  I then used the following commands to read this
(fairly small) dataset in.

x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
sep="",header=T,
quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)

I then get the following error message.

Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open file 'x111.csv', reason 'No such file or directory'

I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
is there something else I need to do to it first?
Thanks for your help,
Carl

Re: How to Import Data

Johann Jacoby
carl,

you wrote:

> I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
> to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
> is there something else I need to do to it first?

getwd() gives you the working directory in which the datafile has to
reside.

johann

Re: How to Import Data

Jacques VESLOT
select the directory with setwd() and then import data:

setwd("d:/.../yourdirectory")
x111 <- read.table("x111.csv",...)

or indicate path behind filename:
x111 <- read.table("d:/.../yourdirectory/x111.csv",...)

besides, there are other functions to import data.
see ?read.table

Carl Klarner a écrit :

>Hello,
>I am a very new user of R.  I've spent several hours trying to import
>data, so I feel okay asking the list for help.  I had an Excel file,
>then I turned it into a "csv" file, as instructed by directions.  My
>filename is "x111.csv."  I then used the following commands to read this
>(fairly small) dataset in.
>
>x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
>sep="",header=T,
>quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)
>
>I then get the following error message.
>
>Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
>In addition: Warning message:
>cannot open file 'x111.csv', reason 'No such file or directory'
>
>I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
>to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
>is there something else I need to do to it first?
>Thanks for your help,
>Carl

Re: How to Import Data

Ben Bolker
Carl Klarner <cklarner <at> isugw.indstate.edu> writes:

> I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
> to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
> is there something else I need to do to it first?
> Thanks for your help,
> Carl

  You're probably right.  R opens by default in its installation
directory (usually somewhere in Program Files\R\... on Windows)
The easiest thing is to change the working directory to wherever
you have the files using setwd() or (in a GUI) some menu option
("Change dir" in the File menu under Windows).

   Useful functions for working directory, file selection etc.:
list.files() [list files in current directory], file.choose() [interactive
file chooser], file.exists() [whether or not a file exists], getwd() [print
current working directory], setwd() [set current working directory].

  The other common problem, which you probably *aren't* having, is
hidden file extensions under Windows.

   good luck
     Ben Bolker

Re: How to Import Data

Adaikalavan Ramasamy
1) You need to use sep="," which is appropriate for a CSV file.

2) You need to specify the FULL path to the file. See
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#R-can_0027t-find-my-file

3) You can use read.csv which is the read.table variant for CSV files.

For example

  a <- read.csv( file="c:/Progra~1/Docume~1/ramasamy/x111.csv" )

might work if you replace it with your full path. If you have the
_unique_ rownames in the first column, you can add the argument
"row.names=1" in the call.

Regards, Adai

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 08:52 -0500, Carl Klarner wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a very new user of R.  I've spent several hours trying to import
> data, so I feel okay asking the list for help.  I had an Excel file,
> then I turned it into a "csv" file, as instructed by directions.  My
> filename is "x111.csv."  I then used the following commands to read this
> (fairly small) dataset in.
>
> x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
> sep="",header=T,
> quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)
>
> I then get the following error message.
>
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file 'x111.csv', reason 'No such file or directory'
>
> I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
> to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
> is there something else I need to do to it first?
> Thanks for your help,
> Carl

Re: How to Import Data

Aleš Žiberna-3
Or, you should put the whole path to that file, for example

file='C:/My documents/x111.csv'

Best,
Ales Ziberna

Johann Jacoby pravi:

> carl,
>
> you wrote:
>

>> I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
>> to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
>> is there something else I need to do to it first?
>>

> getwd() gives you the working directory in which the datafile has to
> reside.
>
> johann

Re: How to Import Data

Philipp Pagel-2
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:52:04AM -0500, Carl Klarner wrote:

> x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
> sep="",header=T,
> quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)

to make things easier for you you could do

x111 <-read.table( file.choose(), ... )

Also: Why are you setting sep="" ? Your filename suggests that you have
some kind of separator in your file...

cu
        Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel                            Tel.  +49-8161-71 2131
Dept. of Genome Oriented Bioinformatics      Fax.  +49-8161-71 2186

 and

Institute for Bioinformatics / MIPS          Tel.  +49-89-3187 3675
GSF - National Research Center               Fax.  +49-89-3187 3585
      for Environment and Health
Ingolstädter Landstrasse 1
85764 Neuherberg, Germany
http://mips.gsf.de/staff/pagel

Re: How to Import Data

On 2/21/2006 9:13 AM, Adaikalavan Ramasamy wrote:
> 1) You need to use sep="," which is appropriate for a CSV file.
>
> 2) You need to specify the FULL path to the file. See
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#R-can_0027t-find-my-file

The advice to look at the FAQ is good, but it's not true that you need
the full path.  Like other programs, R maintains a current working
directory, and paths can be specified relative to that.  I usually put a
line like

setwd('c:/my/working/dir')

at the start of scripts, so that the current directory is changed from
the beginning.  Then I can use simple filenames to read files.

The other advice I usually give is to specify "file.choose()" instead of
an explicit filename; this will open a file selection dialog.  (In my
opinion, this should be the default, but some people disagree quite
strongly.)

Duncan Murdoch

> 3) You can use read.csv which is the read.table variant for CSV files.
>

> For example
>
>   a <- read.csv( file="c:/Progra~1/Docume~1/ramasamy/x111.csv" )
>
> might work if you replace it with your full path. If you have the
> _unique_ rownames in the first column, you can add the argument
> "row.names=1" in the call.
>
> Regards, Adai
>

> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 08:52 -0500, Carl Klarner wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am a very new user of R.  I've spent several hours trying to import
>> data, so I feel okay asking the list for help.  I had an Excel file,
>> then I turned it into a "csv" file, as instructed by directions.  My
>> filename is "x111.csv."  I then used the following commands to read this
>> (fairly small) dataset in.
>>
>> x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
>> sep="",header=T,
>> quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)
>>
>> I then get the following error message.
>>
>> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
>> In addition: Warning message:
>> cannot open file 'x111.csv', reason 'No such file or directory'
>>
>> I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for R
>> to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?  Or
>> is there something else I need to do to it first?
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Carl

Re: How to Import Data

PIKAL Petr
If you do not want to use csv file transfer you can:

Open Excel
select data
Ctrl-C
Open R
your.data <- read.delim("clipboard")

will transfer clipboard contents of clipboard into your.data.

HTH
Petr

Date sent:       Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:52:04 -0500
From:           "Carl Klarner" <[hidden email]>
To:             <[hidden email]>
Subject:         [R] How to Import Data

> Hello,
> I am a very new user of R.  I've spent several hours trying to import
> data, so I feel okay asking the list for help.  I had an Excel file,
> then I turned it into a "csv" file, as instructed by directions.  My
> filename is "x111.csv."  I then used the following commands to read
> this (fairly small) dataset in.
>
> x111 <-read.table(file='x111.csv',
> sep="",header=T,
> quote="",comment.char="",as.is=T)
>
> I then get the following error message.
>
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file 'x111.csv', reason 'No such file or directory'
>
> I would imagine I'm not putting my csv file in the right location for
> R to be able to read it.  If that's the case, where should I put it?
> Or is there something else I need to do to it first? Thanks for your
> help, Carl

Petr Pikal