How to do it in R

André Luis Neves
Dear all,

I`ve got to calculate the ratio of methanogens to bacteria, but I wouldn`t
like to divide the total copy numbers of methanogens ( on average 10^8) by
bacteria (10^10) because they have different exponents and bases. So, my
idea is to standardize both microorganisms counts to 10^3.

Hypothetical example of what I`d like to do:

Total Methanogens: 28 x 10^3
Total bacteria: 710 x 10^3

Total: 710 + 28= 738 x 10^3

Met/bac Ratio : (28/738)*100 = 3.79%

How could I perform this calculation in R?

Andre

Re: How to do it in R

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle
myfun <- function(a, b) a/(a + b)

Em Sex 24 jun. 2016, às 13:05, André Luis Neves escreveu:

> Dear all,
>
> I`ve got to calculate the ratio of methanogens to bacteria, but I
> wouldn`t
> like to divide the total copy numbers of methanogens ( on average 10^8)
> by
> bacteria (10^10) because they have different exponents and bases. So, my
> idea is to standardize both microorganisms counts to 10^3.
>
> Hypothetical example of what I`d like to do:
>
> Total Methanogens: 28 x 10^3
> Total bacteria: 710 x 10^3
>

> Total: 710 + 28= 738 x 10^3
>
> Met/bac Ratio : (28/738)*100 = 3.79%
>
> How could I perform this calculation in R?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Andre

Re: How to do it in R

jholtman
pretty simple:

> t_m <- 28e3
> t_b <- 710e3
> ratio <- t_m / (t_m + t_b) * 100
> ratio
[1] 3.794038

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM, André Luis Neves <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I`ve got to calculate the ratio of methanogens to bacteria, but I wouldn`t
> like to divide the total copy numbers of methanogens ( on average 10^8) by
> bacteria (10^10) because they have different exponents and bases. So, my
> idea is to standardize both microorganisms counts to 10^3.
>
> Hypothetical example of what I`d like to do:
>
> Total Methanogens: 28 x 10^3
> Total bacteria: 710 x 10^3
>

> Total: 710 + 28= 738 x 10^3
>
> Met/bac Ratio : (28/738)*100 = 3.79%
>
> How could I perform this calculation in R?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Andre

Re: How to do it in R

Bert Gunter-2
This is very basic. Have you gone through any R tutorials? There are
many good ones on the web. e.g., see here:
https://www.rstudio.com/online-learning/#R

In any case, you should not expect this list to teach you basic R. You
*should* expect it to help you learn and improve your own efforts. I
realize that there is a gray area where these things may overlap.

Also see inline below.

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 9:05 AM, André Luis Neves <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I`ve got to calculate the ratio of methanogens to bacteria, but I wouldn`t
> like to divide the total copy numbers of methanogens ( on average 10^8) by
> bacteria (10^10) because they have different exponents and bases. So, my
> idea is to standardize both microorganisms counts to 10^3.

Why can't you use scientific notation? What form are your data in?

e.g.

> a <- 6.2E8; b <- 5.4E10
> a/b
[1] 0.01148148