How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1, y1) and end point(x2, y2)?

How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1, y1) and end point(x2, y2)?

Lesandro
Hello all,

How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1,y1) and end point(x2,y2)? I need make this as additional information in the graph:

plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])

I think that is possible make this with the function abline(), is possible? I looked the function lines() too, but don't understand as make.

Thanks!
Lesandro

Re: How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1, y1) and end point(x2, y2)?

Jorge I Velez
Dear Lesandro,
Take a look at

?segments

HTH,

Jorge

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Lesandro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1,y1) and end
> point(x2,y2)? I need make this as additional information in the graph:
>
> plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])
>
> I think that is possible make this with the function abline(), is possible?
> I looked the function lines() too, but don't understand as make.
>

> Thanks!
> Lesandro
>

>      Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! +Buscados

Re: How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1, y1) and end point(x2, y2)?

Marc Schwartz-3
On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Lesandro wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1,y1) and
> end point(x2,y2)? I need make this as additional information in the
> graph:
>
> plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])
>
> I think that is possible make this with the function abline(), is
> possible? I looked the function lines() too, but don't understand as
> make.
>

> Thanks!
> Lesandro

See ?segments which does just what you are looking for.

lines() is more designed for a series of connected lines (eg. a
polygon) rather than a single line segment.

abline() can draw a straight line, at a given vertical or horizontal
position, or if given a linear model object, the fitted line.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

Re: How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x

Ted.Harding-2
On 25-Jun-09 18:38:37, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Lesandro wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1,y1)
>> and end point(x2,y2)? I need make this as additional information
>> in the graph:
>>
>> plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])
>>
>> I think that is possible make this with the function abline(), is
>> possible? I looked the function lines() too, but don't understand
>> as make.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Lesandro
>
> See ?segments which does just what you are looking for.
>
> lines() is more designed for a series of connected lines (eg. a
> polygon) rather than a single line segment.
>
> abline() can draw a straight line, at a given vertical or horizontal
> position, or if given a linear model object, the fitted line.
> HTH,
> Marc Schwartz

Hmm ... for this particular purpose I don't see what is wrong with

  plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])
  lines(c(x1,x2),c(y1,y2))

along with any additional paramaters to lines() for line-type,
colour, etc. -- I do this all the time ...
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 25-Jun-09                                       Time: 19:51:20

On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Ted Harding wrote:

> On 25-Jun-09 18:38:37, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Lesandro wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> How to draw a line in plot when I know the start point(x1,y1)
>>> and end point(x2,y2)? I need make this as additional information
>>> in the graph:
>>>
>>> plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])
>>>
>>> I think that is possible make this with the function abline(), is
>>> possible? I looked the function lines() too, but don't understand
>>> as make.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Lesandro
>>
>> See ?segments which does just what you are looking for.
>>
>> lines() is more designed for a series of connected lines (eg. a
>> polygon) rather than a single line segment.
>>
>> abline() can draw a straight line, at a given vertical or horizontal
>> position, or if given a linear model object, the fitted line.
>> HTH,
>> Marc Schwartz
>
> Hmm ... for this particular purpose I don't see what is wrong with
>
>  plot(wl2[[1]],wl2[[2]])
>  lines(c(x1,x2),c(y1,y2))
>
> along with any additional paramaters to lines() for line-type,
> colour, etc. -- I do this all the time ...
> Ted.

Nothing wrong at all Ted. It will of course work.

For example:

plot(1:10)
lines(c(2, 4), c(6, 8))

That will give you the same result as:

plot(1:10)
segments(2, 6, 4, 8)

In this case, it may be a matter of choice. For single lines, I tend
to use segments().

As is frequently the case with R, there is more than one way to skin
the feline...

Regards,

Marc