How to keep the same class?

Eduardo M. A. M.Mendes
Hello

Please see the example below

> class(testX)

[1] "matrix"

> class(testX[1,])

[1] "numeric"

Why not matrix?   What am I missing here?   Is there a way to keep the same
class?

The reason for the question is that I want to implement a k-step ahead
prediction for my own routines and R wrecks does not seem to like [1,] as
shown below.

> predict(fit10,testX[1,])
Error in knnregTrain(train = c(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,  :
  dims of 'test' and 'train differ
> predict(fit10,testX[1:2,])
[1] 81.00 76.36

Many thanks

Ed

Re: How to keep the same class?

Henrique Dallazuanna
Try this:

predict(fit10,testX[1,,drop = FALSE])

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Eduardo M. A. M.Mendes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>

> Please see the example below
>

>> class(testX)
>
> [1] "matrix"
>
>> class(testX[1,])
>
> [1] "numeric"
>

> Why not matrix?   What am I missing here?   Is there a way to keep the same
> class?
>

> The reason for the question is that I want to implement a k-step ahead
> prediction for my own routines and R wrecks does not seem to like [1,] as
> shown below.
>

>> predict(fit10,testX[1,])
> Error in knnregTrain(train = c(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,  :
>  dims of 'test' and 'train differ
>> predict(fit10,testX[1:2,])
> [1] 81.00 76.36
>

> Many thanks
>

> Ed

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil
25° 25' 40" S 49° 16' 22" O

Re: How to keep the same class?

Marc Schwartz-3
On Sep 2, 2011, at 3:05 PM, Eduardo M. A. M.Mendes wrote:

> Hello
>

> Please see the example below
>

>> class(testX)
>
> [1] "matrix"
>
>> class(testX[1,])
>
> [1] "numeric"
>

> Why not matrix?   What am I missing here?   Is there a way to keep the same
> class?
>

> The reason for the question is that I want to implement a k-step ahead
> prediction for my own routines and R wrecks does not seem to like [1,] as
> shown below.
>

>> predict(fit10,testX[1,])
> Error in knnregTrain(train = c(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,  :
>  dims of 'test' and 'train differ
>> predict(fit10,testX[1:2,])
> [1] 81.00 76.36
>

> Many thanks
>

> Ed

Ed,

See:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Why-do-my-matrices-lose-dimensions_003f

and then use:

  predict(fit10, testX[1, , drop = FALSE])

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

Re: How to keep the same class?

Eduardo M. A. M.Mendes
Many thanks to all for the reply.

I do apologize for bothering the list with a FAQ but I have to confess that,
although I read Faq in the past, I did not remember to do it again.

Cheers

Ed