How to set proxy settings for R

danda
Dear All,

I would like to run R on my computer (with win xp on it) at work bu the proxy restrictions of the university don't let me download the packages or to connect to a cran mirror, I usually get this message:

> chooseCRANmirror()
Warning message:
In open.connection(con, "r") :
  unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.

Do you know if there is a way to set proxy settings for using R normally?
Thanks a lot

Re: How to set proxy settings for R

Henrique Dallazuanna
Try this:

setInternet2()
chooseCRANmirror()

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:00 PM, danda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to run R on my computer (with win xp on it) at work bu the
> proxy restrictions of the university don't let me download the packages or
> to connect to a cran mirror, I usually get this message:
>
> > chooseCRANmirror()
> Warning message:
> In open.connection(con, "r") :
>  unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
>
> Do you know if there is a way to set proxy settings for using R normally?
> Thanks a lot

Henrique Dallazuanna
Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil
25° 25' 40" S 49° 16' 22" O

Re: How to set proxy settings for R

Pete Brecknock
Also, the FAQ suggests using the alternative internet2.dll  by starting R with the flag --internet2

If you start R from a desktop icon, you can add the --internet flag to the target line (right click, properties) e.g. "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.8.1\bin\Rgui.exe" --internet2

see http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/rw-FAQ.html#The-Internet-download-functions-fail_002e

HTH

Pete

Re: How to set proxy settings for R

djmuseR
Hi:

One alternative to sneaking around the proxy restrictions is to load
R onto a jump drive and run it off of that. I know of several instructors
who are using that approach with their students for similar reasons.
Unless you have a compelling reason to install every single package,
you should be able to fit R comfortably on a 4Gb memory stick.

Just wanted to provide a different possible solution to your problem :)

Dennis

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM, danda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to run R on my computer (with win xp on it) at work bu the
> proxy restrictions of the university don't let me download the packages or
> to connect to a cran mirror, I usually get this message:
>
> > chooseCRANmirror()
> Warning message:
> In open.connection(con, "r") :
>  unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
>
> Do you know if there is a way to set proxy settings for using R normally?
> Thanks a lot

Re: How to set proxy settings for R

danda
Dear Pete,

Thanks, it works now!

I did as you suggested:

--internet flag to the target line (right click, properties) e.g. "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.8.1\bin\Rgui.exe" --internet2

Strangely enough, I can now easly download packages but I still get these messages:

chooseCRANmirror()

Warning message:
In open.connection(con, "r") :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '407 Proxy Authentication Required'

> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.10

..but eventually it does install what I want...any clue?

Alessandra

RE: How to set proxy settings for R

Pete Brecknock

Hi Alessandra

Did you restart R?

You should be able to download packages using the Packages> Install Package(s) … from the menu bar in the GUI.

Once the package has been downloaded select Packages> Load Package … you should see what you just downloaded in a list of available packages

Pete

--internet flag to the target line (right click, properties) e.g. "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.8.1\bin\Rgui.exe" --internet2

Strangely enough, I can now easly download packages but I still get these messages:

chooseCRANmirror()

Warning message:
In open.connection(con, "r") :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '407 Proxy Authentication Required'

> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.10

..but eventually it does install what I want...any clue?

Alessandra

View message @ http://n4.nabble.com/How-to-set-proxy-settings-for-R-tp2016158p2017172.html
To unsubscribe from Re: How to set proxy settings for R, click here.

Re: How to set proxy settings for R

Uwe Ligges-3

On 20.04.2010 12:02, danda wrote:

> Dear Pete,
>
> Thanks, it works now!
>
> I did as you suggested:
>
> --internet flag to the target line (right click, properties) e.g.
> "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.8.1\bin\Rgui.exe" --internet2
>
> Strangely enough, I can now easly download packages but I still get these
> messages:
>
> chooseCRANmirror()
>
> Warning message:
> In open.connection(con, "r") :
>    cannot open: HTTP status was '407 Proxy Authentication Required'
>
>> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.10

Probably the selected CRAN mirror was accessible while the CRAN extras
repository hosted in Oxford by Brian Ripley was not (at least from your
side).

Uwe Ligges