Quantcast

How to update R?

Li, Yunfei
Hi,

My R version is old, and I would like to update it. How can I update R and keep all the libraries? Thanks

Best,

Yunfei Li
Research Assistant
Department of Statistics &
School of Molecular Biosciences
Biotechnology Life Sciences Building 427
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-7520
Phone: 509-339-5096
http://www.wsu.edu/~ye_lab/people.html

Re: How to update R?

Shi, Tao
This question has been asked by many people already.  The easiest way is:

1) install the new version
2) copy all or the libraries that you installed later from the "library" folder
of older version to the new version
3) uninstall the old version
4) do a library update in the new version

Done!

...Tao

________________________________

Re: How to update R?

Joshua Wiley-2
Hi Yunfei,

It really depends to some extent on the version of R (and your OS) you
were using.  Here is a link to a blog post that discusses some
potential strategies:
http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/04/changing-your-r-upgrading-strategy-and-the-r-code-to-do-it-on-windows/

There are also a number of messages if you search the R-help archive.
However, old version of libraries may not be portable to the most
recent R, so you may need to update R and update all your libraries
too.

Cheers,

Josh

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Li, Yunfei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My R version is old, and I would like to update it. How can I update R and keep all the libraries? Thanks
>
> Best,
>
> Yunfei Li
> Research Assistant
> Department of Statistics &
> School of Molecular Biosciences
> Biotechnology Life Sciences Building 427
> Washington State University
> Pullman, WA 99164-7520
> Phone: 509-339-5096
> http://www.wsu.edu/~ye_lab/people.html

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles
http://www.joshuawiley.com/

Re: How to update R?

Shi, Tao
Forgot to mention that my way of updating is for Windows only.

...Tao

________________________________
It really depends to some extent on the version of R (and your OS) you
were using.  Here is a link to a blog post that discusses some
potential strategies:
http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/04/changing-your-r-upgrading-strategy-and-the-r-code-to-do-it-on-windows/

There are also a number of messages if you search the R-help archive.
However, old version of libraries may not be portable to the most
recent R, so you may need to update R and update all your libraries
too.

Cheers,

Josh

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Li, Yunfei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My R version is old, and I would like to update it. How can I update R and keep
>all the libraries? Thanks
>
> Best,
>
> Yunfei Li
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-
> Research Assistant
> Department of Statistics &
> School of Molecular Biosciences
> Biotechnology Life Sciences Building 427
> Washington State University
> Pullman, WA 99164-7520
> Phone: 509-339-5096
> http://www.wsu.edu/~ye_lab/people.html

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles
http://www.joshuawiley.com/

Re: How to update R?

Kenn Konstabel
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Shi, Tao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This question has been asked by many people already.  The easiest way is:
>
> 1) install the new version
> 2) copy all or the libraries that you installed later from the "library" folder
> of older version to the new version
> 3) uninstall the old version
> 4) do a library update in the new version

On Windows, I've found that it is actually better to uninstall the old
version first. Uninstalling removes file associations for .Rdata and
other files even if a more recent version of R is present (although
perhaps there is a way to tell it not to) but this won't be a problem
if you do it in the following order:

> 3) uninstall the old version
> 1) install the new version
> 2) copy all or the libraries that you installed later from the "library" folder
> of older version to the new version
> 4) do a library update in the new version

Kenn