I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE

Dominik Szewczyk
I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE. It produces this error:

'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I have attempted to put quotes around the full path including the executable and also running the exectuable from within the path itself with the same result. The only way I can do this is to move the installation from C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.0 to C:\R\..

Is this a limitation of the program itself?

-Dom

Re: I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 04/05/2017 4:08 PM, Dominik Szewczyk wrote:

> I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE. It produces this error:
>

> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>

> I have attempted to put quotes around the full path including the executable and also running the exectuable from within the path itself with the same result. The only way I can do this is to move the installation from C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.0 to C:\R\..
>

> Is this a limitation of the program itself?

It sounds like a limitation of the way you're trying to run them, which
you haven't told us.

Re: I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE

Michael Dewey-3
Dear Dominik

Try this
Open a command window
Type PATH
Does the path to where R has stored its executables appear on the PATH?

Either way get back to us with more details.

--
Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Re: I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE

Richard M. Heiberger
Try the 8.3 version of the path name.

   dir /w

if I remember correctly.
"Program files" will become progra~1

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 06:46 Michael Dewey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Dominik
>
> Try this
> Open a command window
> Type PATH
> Does the path to where R has stored its executables appear on the PATH?
>
> Either way get back to us with more details.
>
> On 05/05/2017 11:01, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> > On 04/05/2017 4:08 PM, Dominik Szewczyk wrote:
> >> I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE. It produces this error:
> >>

> >> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> >> operable program or batch file.
> >>

> >> I have attempted to put quotes around the full path including the
> >> executable and also running the exectuable from within the path itself
> >> with the same result. The only way I can do this is to move the
> >> installation from C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.0 to C:\R\..
> >>

> >> Is this a limitation of the program itself?
> >
> > It sounds like a limitation of the way you're trying to run them, which
> > you haven't told us.
> >
> > Duncan Murdoch

> > ---
> > http://www.avg.com
> >

> --
> Michael
> http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Re: I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE

Bos, Roger-2
Dominik,

Folders with spaces can be very tricky sometimes.  In my case single quotes didn't work, but double quotes did (see my example below).  Adding the full path to your PATH variable with eliminate the need to specify the full path, making it much easier.

Thanks,

Roger

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\bosr>C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.3\bin\R.exe
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\bosr>'C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.3\bin\R.exe'
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Users\bosr>"C:\Program Files\R\R-3.3.3\bin\R.exe"

R version 3.3.3 (2017-03-06) -- "Another Canoe"
Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

On 04/05/2017 4:08 PM, Dominik Szewczyk wrote:

> I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE. It produces this error:
>

> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>

> I have attempted to put quotes around the full path including the executable and also running the exectuable from within the path itself with the same result. The only way I can do this is to move the installation from C:\Program Files\R\R-3.4.0 to C:\R\..
>

> Is this a limitation of the program itself?

It sounds like a limitation of the way you're trying to run them, which you haven't told us.

This message and any attachments are for the intended recipient’s use only. This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No right to confidential or privileged treatment of this message is waived or lost by an error in transmission.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail, delete the message, any attachments and all copies from your system and destroy any hard copies. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy any part of this message or any attachments if you are not the intended recipient.

Re: I cannot run R.EXE or RSCRIPT.EXE

John C Frain
As far as I can recall this is and always was a  "feature" of MS Windows.
Filenames with embedded spaces must be within double quotes. Single quotes
can not be used. I understand that single quotes had or may still have some
meaning in "for" statements in a batch file. I have never had occasion to
use this feature and I suspect that most if not all R users will not need
it.  Added the R bin directory to your path will bypass all these problems.