I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

Murris Johnson

Hi,

I have a quick question for you about a page on your site that briefly
mentions a data security topic, https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-May/162561.html.

I plan on writing a few guest authored articles in the next month or so
that talk about data security & breaches, are you ok with me possibly
linking to your above-mentioned webpage?

I'm not entirely sure which sites I may link to or reference in the
articles yet, but I'd like to have a few different options to choose
from... so please let me know what you think when you have a moment to let
me know. Whatever you decide, thanks for your time and I don't expect a
response if you're not interested. Thanks.

Murris

PS: If this question was a disturbance, click this
<http://ec2-52-26-194-35.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/x/u?u=35c7bbaa-48f6-4968-a738-87d4e024a4b9> and I won't email you again.

Re: [FORGED] I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

Rolf Turner
On 2/11/19 3:57 AM, Murris Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a quick question for you about a page on your site that briefly
> mentions a data security topic, https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-May/162561.html.
>

> I plan on writing a few guest authored articles in the next month or so
> that talk about data security & breaches, are you ok with me possibly
> linking to your above-mentioned webpage?
>

> I'm not entirely sure which sites I may link to or reference in the
> articles yet, but I'd like to have a few different options to choose
> from... so please let me know what you think when you have a moment to let
> me know. Whatever you decide, thanks for your time and I don't expect a
> response if you're not interested. Thanks.

Are you pulling our legs?

Personally I haven't got a clue what you are asking.

Also, please note that r-help is a world wide "community" with hundreds
of thousands of members.  (I am but one of this large and unruly mob.)
It is not a single entity or "site".  (There is a formal organisation
that runs the R show, but you are not really addressing this formal
organisation.)

The URL that you refer to is a joke!  Apparently some idiotic Windoze
antiviral software once identified the R executable for Windoze as being
a virus.  This is not to taken seriously.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics

Re: I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

Berend Hasselman

Just read the complete thread.
That will clarify.

Nothing wrong with R or RGUI; the virus checker is wrong.
regards,

Berend Hasselman

> On 10 Feb 2019, at 15:57, Murris Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>

> I have a quick question for you about a page on your site that briefly
> mentions a data security topic, https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-May/162561.html.
>

> I plan on writing a few guest authored articles in the next month or so
> that talk about data security & breaches, are you ok with me possibly
> linking to your above-mentioned webpage?
>

> I'm not entirely sure which sites I may link to or reference in the
> articles yet, but I'd like to have a few different options to choose
> from... so please let me know what you think when you have a moment to let
> me know. Whatever you decide, thanks for your time and I don't expect a
> response if you're not interested. Thanks.
>

> Murris
>

> PS: If this question was a disturbance, click this
> <http://ec2-52-26-194-35.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/x/u?u=35c7bbaa-48f6-4968-a738-87d4e024a4b9> and I won't email you again.

Re: I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

Spencer Graves-4
       To your question about, "are you ok with me possibly linking to"
a 2008 thread on r-help subject: "[R] R is a virus, spyware or malware
(gasp!)", I think that would be considered a friendly gesture PROVIDED
you honestly portrayed the conclusion that any checker for malicious
software that flags R or RGUI (or RStudio, now, also), is likely wrong:
This is free, open-source software with probably millions of users
worldwide and currently almost 14,000 contributed packages available on
the Comprehensive R Archive Network (CRAN), and all the code is checked
on multiple platforms several times per week, including for malicious
code.  Any such code is isolated and removed.  "CRAN Repository
Policy"[1] includes, "The code and examples provided in a package should
never do anything which might be regarded as malicious or anti-social",
and provides several "examples from past experience."

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html

On 2019-02-11 03:53, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> Just read the complete thread.
> That will clarify.
>
> Nothing wrong with R or RGUI; the virus checker is wrong.
> regards,
>
> Berend Hasselman
>
>> On 10 Feb 2019, at 15:57, Murris Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I have a quick question for you about a page on your site that briefly
>> mentions a data security topic, https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-May/162561.html.
>>

>> I plan on writing a few guest authored articles in the next month or so
>> that talk about data security & breaches, are you ok with me possibly
>> linking to your above-mentioned webpage?
>>

>> I'm not entirely sure which sites I may link to or reference in the
>> articles yet, but I'd like to have a few different options to choose
>> from... so please let me know what you think when you have a moment to let
>> me know. Whatever you decide, thanks for your time and I don't expect a
>> response if you're not interested. Thanks.
>>

>> Murris
>>

>> PS: If this question was a disturbance, click this
>> <http://ec2-52-26-194-35.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/x/u?u=35c7bbaa-48f6-4968-a738-87d4e024a4b9> and I won't email you again.
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: [FORGED] I'm Working On A Data Security Article - Quick Question

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11/02/2019 4:26 a.m., Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 2/11/19 3:57 AM, Murris Johnson wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I have a quick question for you about a page on your site that briefly
>> mentions a data security topic, https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-May/162561.html.
>>

>> I plan on writing a few guest authored articles in the next month or so
>> that talk about data security & breaches, are you ok with me possibly
>> linking to your above-mentioned webpage?
>>

>> I'm not entirely sure which sites I may link to or reference in the
>> articles yet, but I'd like to have a few different options to choose
>> from... so please let me know what you think when you have a moment to let
>> me know. Whatever you decide, thanks for your time and I don't expect a
>> response if you're not interested. Thanks.
>
> Are you pulling our legs?

No, he's a spammer who clearly hasn't read the link he's asking about.
There are probably thousands of them.

Duncan Murdoch