Information about compatibility R

Marcos Fiorini
Hi everyone.

I need an information about compatibility of R and Suse Linux. I have installed R 3.2.1 in Suse Linux 11 SP4 and I would like know if it�s compatible the upgrade for the new version 3.4.4 in my Suse release? This information�s about version R and linux version have in site or other place?

Thanks.

Marcos Fiorini

Re: Information about compatibility R

Albrecht Kauffmann-2
Dear Marcos,

The current Version of opensuse Linux is Leap 42.3 (when I'm still right). Probably you should upgrade your Linux system before installing one of the most recent versions of R.

Best
Albrecht

--
  Albrecht Kauffmann
  [hidden email]

Am Mi, 11. Apr 2018, um 17:31, schrieb Marcos Fiorini:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I need an information about compatibility of R and Suse Linux. I have
> installed R 3.2.1 in Suse Linux 11 SP4 and I would like know if its
> compatible the upgrade for the new version 3.4.4 in my Suse release?
> This informations about version R and linux version have in site or
> other place?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Marcos Fiorini

Re: Information about compatibility R

Marcos Fiorini
Hi Albrecht, thanks for your return.

I'm  using the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) PATCHLEVEL = 4 and not the openSUSE. Do you know if exist a compatibility list of R and Linux version? In the site
https://cran.r-project.org is informed only about the R version 3.4.4 for SLE12 but not about the previous versions. I can't upgrade for SLE12 and I would like know what is the last version that I can use of R in my SUSE version.

Best regards.

Marcos Fiorini

Re: Information about compatibility R

Henrik Bengtsson-5

your question is nearly impossible to answer without actual testing of
your existing pipelines.  But from my soon 20-year usage of R, it's
clear to me that the R Core Team strives to keep things backward
compatible as far as they can.  The NEWS file:

  https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/NEWS.html

contains useful information on what's been updated in each release -
you can inspect that one from your own perspective.  There are also
12,000 packages on CRAN that are tested on old-release, current
release, and developers version of R.  Many of these packages rarely
gets updated, which indicates that these package work across a large
number of R versions (and platforms).

FYI, R 3.5.0 is being released on April 23, 2018.  You should aim to
install that version.   Also, on Linux it's not too hard to install
multiple R versions in parallel when you install from source.  Then
you can go back and forth between version whenever you'd like.

/Henrik

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Marcos Fiorini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I need an information about compatibility of R and Suse Linux. I have installed R 3.2.1 in Suse Linux 11 SP4 and I would like know if it’s compatible the upgrade for the new version 3.4.4 in my Suse release? This information’s about version R and linux version have in site or other place?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Marcos Fiorini

Re: Information about compatibility R

Henrik Bengtsson-5
I guess I misread your question. /Henrik

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Marcos Fiorini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Albrecht, thanks for your return.
>
> I'm  using the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) PATCHLEVEL = 4 and not the openSUSE. Do you know if exist a compatibility list of R and Linux version? In the site
> https://cran.r-project.org is informed only about the R version 3.4.4 for SLE12 but not about the previous versions. I can't upgrade for SLE12 and I would like know what is the last version that I can use of R in my SUSE version.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Marcos Fiorini

Re: Information about compatibility R

Jeff Newmiller
The reason people like to pay companies for their commercial or "enterprise" operating system distributions is because the someone you pay can do all the legwork to confirm compatibility. You should be asking your commercial distro provider to render this service. If they deem it too far below their radar to help you with then you need to identify which open distro is similar enough to your commercial environment to piggyback OS packages from, or go to the source and start compiling and installing required supporting software, which may extend to installing the necessary compiler to build R. The version of Linux itself is unlikely to prevent this last option from working.

On April 11, 2018 1:26:25 PM PDT, Henrik Bengtsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I guess I misread your question. /Henrik
>
>On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Marcos Fiorini
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Albrecht, thanks for your return.
>>
>> I'm  using the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) PATCHLEVEL =
>4 and not the openSUSE. Do you know if exist a compatibility list of R
>and Linux version? In the site
>> https://cran.r-project.org is informed only about the R version 3.4.4
>for SLE12 but not about the previous versions. I can't upgrade for
>SLE12 and I would like know what is the last version that I can use of
>R in my SUSE version.
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
>> Marcos Fiorini

Re: Information about compatibility R

Albrecht Kauffmann-2
Hi Marcos,

excuse me, please, Iam only familiar with opensuse.

Best regards,
Albrecht Kauffmann

--
  Albrecht Kauffmann