Quantcast

Installing R on cygwin

Deb Midya
Hi R users,

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to install R on cygwin? If yes, can anyone assist me how can I install R on cygwin?

Currently, I am using R on Windows XP. I have found that binary version of some packages such as RCurl is not available.

Once again, thank you very much for the time you have given.

Regards,

Deb

Re: Installing R on cygwin

Prof Brian Ripley
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Deb Midya wrote:

> Hi R users, ? Thanks?in advance. ? Is it possible to install R on
> cygwin? If yes, can anyone assist me how can I install R on cygwin?

That *is* described in the 'R Installation and Administration' manual.

> ? Currently, I am using R on Windows XP. I have found that binary
> version of some packages such as RCurl is not available.?

Someone has been to a lot of trouble to make RCurl available to you,
on the CRAN(extras) repository you will see as a default repository on
the Rgui menus.

> ?
> Once again, thank you very much for the time you have given.
> ?
> Regards,
> ?
> Deb
>

> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please do follow the posting guide and not send mal-formed HTML.

Re: Installing R on cygwin

Mike Marchywka

I'm not sure I did anything special to install R for use with cygwin.
Availability of RCurl appears to relate to windohs AFAICT from the CRAN page.
I have never bothered to use this since I already use the related linux
tools available through cygwin. Building from source may have become an issue
lately but I started to use install.packages in an R script invoked
from a bash script running on cygwin and this has worked without incident.
R doesn't know about cygwin so you may need to use things like cygpath if you
are feeding file names to R etc but this will be an issue with most apps on 'dohs.

Modeling a wind driven boat journey

Andrew Craven
Hi

I am trying to model path of a wind powered boat.

I have some wind data, model as the frequency of the wind with its strength and
direction.

What I like to be able to calculate is for some random period in time for points
a b c what was the wind strength and what was its direction.

My problem is that although I have a set of values for the rfrequency of the
wind and its strength, I do not known how it changed.  For example I known the
wind blew at 10knots North, 3 times,   blew 5 knots east  10 times east and 7
knots west  twice ,  I do not known how or when it changed direction.

All of the solutions that I have looked at tend to calculate the average wind
strength and direction or deal with a single variable.

I think a more accurate version would be:
1. To derive the prevailing wind, ie the most frequeny value and direction.
2.Attempting some type of probability distribution and running that for N times,
but  I am not sure how to model more than one random variable(ie the speed AND
the direction)

Take option one, from my example, it gives a value of 5 knots east as its the
most frequeny, but this ignores the values for north and west.

Has anybody got any suggestions on how this could be modeled in R?