Quantcast

Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Luis Felipe Parra
Hello I have downloaded the fPortfolioSolver package from R-forge but I have
not been able to install it. I don't know exactly where I should place the
file and which commands to give R. Could somebody please help me with this.
Thank you

Felipe Parra

Re: Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 28/03/2011 7:30 AM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
> Hello I have downloaded the fPortfolioSolver package from R-forge but I have
> not been able to install it. I don't know exactly where I should place the
> file and which commands to give R. Could somebody please help me with this.
> Thank you

A .tar.gz file contains the source for the package, so you need to
process it into a binary format to install it.  For simple packages you
can do this in recent versions of R using

install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type="source", repos=NULL)

but if it contains compiled code, you'll probably need to install tools
first.  See the R Installation and Administration Manual for full
details; the tools are downloadable from
<http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools>.  Once the tools are properly
installed, the above line should work.

The other way to do it is from a CMD window (not in R), running

R CMD INSTALL fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz

This is equivalent to the R command above, but is sometimes easier to
set up, because you can easily modify your PATH variable in the CMD window.

Duncan

Re: Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Luis Felipe Parra
Thanks Duncan, I already installed Rtools but I don't know well how to sort
it out. I tried the command you gave me and got the following error:

> install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type="source", repos=NULL)
Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Aviso: invalid package 'fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified
Mensajes de aviso perdidos
1: running command 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-212~1.2/bin/i386/R CMD INSTALL -l
"C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12"   "fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz"' had
status 1
2: In install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type = "source",  :
  installation of package 'fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status

Do you know what might be going on or  where I can find a manual of how to
use Rtools? Thank you

Felipe Parra

--

Este mensaje de correo electrónico es enviado por Quantil S.A.S y puede
contener información confidencial o privilegiada.

This e-mail is sent by Quantil S.A.S and may contain confidential or
privileged information

On 28/03/2011 8:04 AM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:

> Thanks Duncan, I already installed Rtools but I don't know well how to sort
> it out. I tried the command you gave me and got the following error:
>
> >  install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type="source", repos=NULL)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> Aviso: invalid package 'fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz'
> Error: ERROR: no packages specified
> Mensajes de aviso perdidos
> 1: running command 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-212~1.2/bin/i386/R CMD INSTALL -l
> "C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12"   "fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz"' had
> status 1
> 2: In install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type = "source",  :
>    installation of package 'fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz' had non-zero exit status
> >

> Do you know what might be going on or  where I can find a manual of how to
> use Rtools? Thank you

The likely problem is that you didn't give the full path to the tar.gz
file.  If it is not in the working directory, that install.packages
command will fail.

An easy way to get the path is to use

filename <- file.choose()

which brings up a Windows dialog; go search for the file, and its name
will be saved in the filename variable.  Then use
install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL).

Duncan Murdoch

> Felipe Parra
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Duncan Murdoch<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> >  On 28/03/2011 7:30 AM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
> >
> >>  Hello I have downloaded the fPortfolioSolver package from R-forge but I
> >>  have
> >>  not been able to install it. I don't know exactly where I should place the
> >>  file and which commands to give R. Could somebody please help me with
> >>  this.
> >>  Thank you
> >>

> >  A .tar.gz file contains the source for the package, so you need to process
> >  it into a binary format to install it.  For simple packages you can do this
> >  in recent versions of R using
> >
> >  install.packages("fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz", type="source", repos=NULL)
> >
> >  but if it contains compiled code, you'll probably need to install tools
> >  first.  See the R Installation and Administration Manual for full details;
> >  the tools are downloadable from<http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools>.
> >   Once the tools are properly installed, the above line should work.
> >
> >  The other way to do it is from a CMD window (not in R), running
> >
> >  R CMD INSTALL fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz
> >
> >  This is equivalent to the R command above, but is sometimes easier to set
> >  up, because you can easily modify your PATH variable in the CMD window.
> >
> >  Duncan

Re: Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Luis Felipe Parra
Duncan I have been trying to work out the solution you gave me but I haven't
really got to sort it out. I tried first the option with install packages
and got this:

> filename <- file.choose()
> filename
[1] "C:\\Users\\Hp\\Documents\\R\\win-library\\2.12\\Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz
> install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL)
Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
* installing *source* package 'Rsymphony' ...
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rsymphony'
* removing 'C:/Users/Hp/Documents/R/win-library/2.12/Rsymphony'
Mensajes de aviso perdidos
1: running command 'C:\PROGRA~1\R\R-212~1.2/bin/i386/R CMD INSTALL -l
"C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12"
"C:/Users/Hp/Documents/R/win-library/2.12/Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz"' had
status 1
2: In install.packages(filename, type = "source", repos = NULL) :
  installation of package
'C:/Users/Hp/Documents/R/win-library/2.12/Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz' had
non-zero exit status
"

Then about the CMD window I also tried to use it but I cannot get it to
recognize the command for me. It always tells me "R" it is an unrecognized
command. I am new to all this about tar.gz files and running commands
directly in the CMD windowf, so could you please be more specific with me.
Thank you

Felipe Parra

On 11-03-28 6:41 PM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:

> Duncan I have been trying to work out the solution you gave me but I
> haven't really got to sort it out. I tried first the option with install
> packages and got this:
>
>  > filename <- file.choose()
>  > filename
> [1] "C:\\Users\\Hp\\Documents\\R\\win-library\\2.12\\Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz
>  > install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL)
> Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> * installing *source* package 'Rsymphony' ...
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rsymphony'

This is the important message.  It says Rsymphony can't be installed on
your system, because you're missing something it needs.  You might get
more information if you run this on the command line, but basically you
need to read the system requirements for the package and follow them.
The one I see when I look at it on CRAN is:

SYMPHONY for Windows (sources included for other OSes)

If you don't have that, then you won't be able to install this package
on Windows.

Duncan Murdoch

> [...]
>         should work.
>          >
>          >  The other way to do it is from a CMD window (not in R), running
>          >
>          >  R CMD INSTALL fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz
>          >
>          >  This is equivalent to the R command above, but is sometimes
>         easier to set
>          >  up, because you can easily modify your PATH variable in the
>         CMD window.
>          >
>          >  Duncan
>          >
>

> --
>
> Este mensaje de correo electrónico es enviado por Quantil S.A.S y puede
> contener información confidencial o privilegiada.
>
> This e-mail is sent by Quantil S.A.S and may contain confidential or
> privileged information

Re: Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Prof Brian Ripley
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 11-03-28 6:41 PM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
>> Duncan I have been trying to work out the solution you gave me but I
>> haven't really got to sort it out. I tried first the option with install
>> packages and got this:
>>
>>  > filename <- file.choose()
>>  > filename
>> [1]
>> "C:\\Users\\Hp\\Documents\\R\\win-library\\2.12\\Rsymphony_0.1-12.tar.gz
>>  > install.packages(filename,  type="source", repos=NULL)
>> Installing package(s) into ‘C:\Users\Hp\Documents/R/win-library/2.12’
>> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
>> * installing *source* package 'Rsymphony' ...
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'Rsymphony'
>
> This is the important message.  It says Rsymphony can't be installed on your
> system, because you're missing something it needs.  You might get more
> information if you run this on the command line, but basically you need to
> read the system requirements for the package and follow them. The one I see
> when I look at it on CRAN is:
>
> SYMPHONY for Windows (sources included for other OSes)
>
> If you don't have that, then you won't be able to install this package on
> Windows.
And for 32-bit Windows, no one has succeeded in building SYMPHONY with
the current toolchain.  We did succeed with an earlier toolchain, but
as SYMPHONY is a C++ API, that is incompatible.

It is possible to build Rsymphony on 64-bit Windows, using the binary
build of SYMPHONY at
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/goodies/Win64No_/
(which needed source modifications).

> [...]
>>         should work.
>>          >
>>          >  The other way to do it is from a CMD window (not in R), running
>>          >
>>          >  R CMD INSTALL fPortfolioSolver.tar.gz
>>          >
>>          >  This is equivalent to the R command above, but is sometimes
>>         easier to set
>>          >  up, because you can easily modify your PATH variable in the
>>         CMD window.
>>          >
>>          >  Duncan
>>          >
>>

>> --
>>
>> Este mensaje de correo electrónico es enviado por Quantil S.A.S y puede
>> contener información confidencial o privilegiada.
>>
>> This e-mail is sent by Quantil S.A.S and may contain confidential or
>> privileged information

Re: Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Brian and Duncan. Thank you for your help. What I actually am trying to
install is fPortfolioSolver, and symphony is the only package I am missing
in order to be able to complete the installation. Do you know by any chance
what could I do about this?

Thank you
Felipe Parra

--

Este mensaje de correo electrónico es enviado por Quantil S.A.S y puede
contener información confidencial o privilegiada.

This e-mail is sent by Quantil S.A.S and may contain confidential or
privileged information

Re: Installing a Package tar.gz in windows

Uwe Ligges-3

On 29.03.2011 14:21, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
> Brian and Duncan. Thank you for your help. What I actually am trying to
> install is fPortfolioSolver, and symphony is the only package I am missing
> in order to be able to complete the installation. Do you know by any chance
> what could I do about this?

Try to patch SYMPHONY in a way that it cn be build with the toolchain
recommended in the manuals. Note that neither the Rsymphony maintainers
nor the maintainer for Windows binary packages on CRAN succeeded so far.

Uwe Ligges

On 29/03/2011 8:21 AM, Luis Felipe Parra wrote:
> Brian and Duncan. Thank you for your help. What I actually am trying to
> install is fPortfolioSolver, and symphony is the only package I am missing
> in order to be able to complete the installation. Do you know by any chance
> what could I do about this?

 From what others have said, you probably need to work on a different OS
than 32 bit Windows.

If that's not an option, it may be possible that what you need in
fPortfolioSolver doesn't depend on Symphony; you could try removing the
dependency from the DESCRIPTION file for fPortfolioSolver and see if
anything still works.  But this is likely to be a futile effort.

Duncan Murdoch