Interest in a Use R Group in San Francisco area?

Interest in a Use R Group in San Francisco area?

Jim Porzak
All,

Tuesday week (July 15th) Mike Driscoll & I will be presenting
"A Gentle Introduction to R and its Applications in Business
Intelligence" at the SDForum Business Intelligence SIG in Palo Alto,
California.

One motivation is to judge interest in starting a Use R Group in the
Bay Area. We will have an informal organizational meeting after the
talk.

We hope all local R "groupies" can make it. If you can't and are
interested in a user group dedicated to all aspects of R, please email
Mike or me.

For details see link
http://www.sdforum.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Calendar.eventDetail&eventID=13118

And, if you are doing some interesting business intelligence related
work in R, we would love to mention it in the survey part of the talk.

Best,
Jim Porzak
Responsys, Inc.
San Francisco, CA
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimporzak

Re: Interest in a Use R Group in San Francisco area?

Marc Schwartz
on 07/07/2008 01:42 PM Jim Porzak wrote:

> All,
>
> Tuesday week (July 15th) Mike Driscoll & I will be presenting
> "A Gentle Introduction to R and its Applications in Business
> Intelligence" at the SDForum Business Intelligence SIG in Palo Alto,
> California.
>
> One motivation is to judge interest in starting a Use R Group in the
> Bay Area. We will have an informal organizational meeting after the
> talk.
>
> We hope all local R "groupies" can make it. If you can't and are
> interested in a user group dedicated to all aspects of R, please email
> Mike or me.
>
> For details see link
> http://www.sdforum.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Calendar.eventDetail&eventID=13118
>
> And, if you are doing some interesting business intelligence related
> work in R, we would love to mention it in the survey part of the talk.

R "groupies" in San Francisco?

I have this mental image of a bunch of geeks dressed in tie-dyed shirts,
jeans and sandals, sitting on the corner of Haight-Ashbury listening to
the Grateful Dead while coding on their laptops.

;-)

Good luck with the meeting Jim!  See you in Dortmund.

Regards,

Marc

Re: Interest in a Use R Group in San Francisco area?

Peter Dalgaard
Marc Schwartz wrote:
> R "groupies" in San Francisco?
>
> I have this mental image of a bunch of geeks dressed in tie-dyed
> shirts, jeans and sandals, sitting on the corner of Haight-Ashbury
> listening to the Grateful Dead while coding on their laptops.
That sounds pretty much like Berkeley when I was there in 2000. I really
should get to visit there again and buy some more tie-dyed t-shirts for
my nieces....

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph:  (+45) 35327918

on 07/07/2008 02:30 PM Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> R "groupies" in San Francisco?
>>
>> I have this mental image of a bunch of geeks dressed in tie-dyed
>> shirts, jeans and sandals, sitting on the corner of Haight-Ashbury
>> listening to the Grateful Dead while coding on their laptops.

> That sounds pretty much like Berkeley when I was there in 2000. I really
> should get to visit there again and buy some more tie-dyed t-shirts for
> my nieces....

We could have useR! 2009 there...that would give you a reason to visit.

Of course, as I was contemplating various R "groupie" mental images, I
also had one of the PaRRot Heads, with a future meeting in Key West...

    "useR! in Paradise"

;-)

Regards,

Marc

Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> That sounds pretty much like Berkeley when I was there in 2000. I
>> really should get to visit there again and buy some more tie-dyed
>> t-shirts for my nieces....
>
> We could have useR! 2009 there...that would give you a reason to visit.

That would be 2010. Rennes already has 2009 (July 7-10, mark your
calendars, folks). 2011 might be Wond-R-ful Copenhagen, if we don't
screw up DSC-2009 too badly.