Inverse t-distribution

Felipe Carrillo
Hello all:
Is there a function in R to estimate the Inverse
t-distribution(tif in Systat).If so how can I see an
example on how is used? Thanks

 Felipe D. Carrillo
  Fishery Biologist
  Department of the Interior
  US Fish & Wildlife Service
  California, USA

Re: Inverse t-distribution

Bert Gunter
Yes. And, amazingly, one can find out about it by typing

help.search("t distribution") .

Why don't you try it for yourself?

-- Bert Gunter

Re: Inverse t-distribution(TINV function in Excel)

Felipe Carrillo

I can't actually tell which function in R is the
equivalent to TINV function in Excel.
Anyone familiar with that function? Thanks

> Yes. And, amazingly, one can find out about it by
> typing
>
> help.search("t distribution") .
>
> Why don't you try it for yourself?
>
> -- Bert Gunter

Berend Hasselman
Felipe Carrillo wrote
I can't actually tell which function in R is the
equivalent to TINV function in Excel.
Anyone familiar with that function? Thanks
help.search("t distribution")

I think the quantile function is what you are looking for:  qt
Try

qt(pt(5,10),10)

Berend

Re: Inverse t-distribution(TINV function in Excel)

David Winsemius
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Felipe Carrillo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't actually tell which function in R is the
> equivalent to TINV function in Excel.
> Anyone familiar with that function? Thanks

TINV is returns a half range t quantile function and it returns 0 from 1
and 5 million from 0;  =TINV(0.1,100) produces 1.6602348, so I think you
need to divide your arguments by 2 and subtract that from 1 to get the
same result with qt()

> qt(.95,100)
[1] 1.660234
> qt(.5,100)
[1] 0

--
David Winsemius

Re: Inverse t-distribution

ALBERTO VIEIRA FERREIRA MONTEIRO

Bert Gunter wrote:

> Yes. And, amazingly, one can find out about it by typing
>
> help.search("t distribution") .
>
> Why don't you try it for yourself?

Maybe because the obvious search is

help.search("t")

:-)

Alberto Monteiro

Re: Inverse t-distribution(TINV function in Excel)

Felipe Carrillo
Thanks everyone for your help the qt function worked
like a dream. I ended up using it like this;
T <- qt((1-0.05/2),7) to estimate 95% intervals
divided by 2. 7 would be the number of days sampled.I
got the same result I get with Systat.

> > I can't actually tell which function in R is the
> > equivalent to TINV function in Excel.
> > Anyone familiar with that function? Thanks
>
> TINV is returns a half range t quantile function and
> it returns 0 from 1
> and 5 million from 0;  =TINV(0.1,100) produces
> 1.6602348, so I think you
> need to divide your arguments by 2 and subtract that
> from 1 to get the
> same result with qt()
>
> > qt(.95,100)
> [1] 1.660234
> > qt(.5,100)
> [1] 0
>
> --
> David Winsemius

> reproducible code.

 Felipe D. Carrillo
  Fishery Biologist
  Department of the Interior
  US Fish & Wildlife Service
  California, USA

Re: Inverse t-distribution(TINV function in Excel)

Martin Maechler

    FC> Thanks everyone for your help the qt function worked
    FC> like a dream. I ended up using it like this; T <-
    FC> qt((1-0.05/2),7) to estimate 95% intervals divided by
    FC> 2. 7 would be the number of days sampled.I got the same
    FC> result I get with Systat.

Well, a good sign for Systat ... it seems to work ...  (;-)