Label size in MAplots

Strongbad78
Hi
I have a collection of arrays and I would like to carry out MAplots on them. The problem is that the CEL file names are pretty long as they contain the date of production, user initials etc.. (sorry, it's a legacy thing). Is there a way of reducing the label size so I can read the CEL filename and the Median and IQR statistics in the plot. It currently gets cut off and I can't see which file is which. I have tried labels.cex but it doesn't work. Any help appreciated. I'm also have the same issue with boxplots.
Tony

CSC/IC Microarray Centre,
Imperial College,
Hammersmith Campus,