Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

alaios
Hello everyone.
It is time to start writing more and more function and I want to read in a good reference
-book ( I can buy one, especially if it is second handed :P)
-online tutorial
-any other guide

-How functions really work in R
-How to write bigger R programs
-If there are local function variables.
-Global ones and how to treat them
-How to include function files in order to keep your all increasing code into separate files
-How to debug an R program step by step.
-How to print debugging messages.

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Best Regards
Alex

Re: Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

Arun.stat
Patrick Burns has been my great source of resources in my R learnings. Most of the answers you would find from his stuffs only, see "http://www.burns-stat.com/". However for functions and their executions/debugging related quires we might find John Chambers (http://www.springer.com/statistics/computanional+statistics/book/978-0-387-75935-7) most helpful.

Best regards,

Re: Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

Greg Snow-2
Start with "Writing R Extensions", part of the free documents that come with R.  Much of what you ask is covered in there.  After reading that, then you can look for the other resources.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Tal Galili
Hello Alex,

I recently published a post titled:
"Managing a statistical analysis project – guidelines and best
practices<http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/09/managing-a-statistical-analysis-project-guidelines-and-best-practices/>
"

This post might prove useful to you:
http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/09/managing-a-statistical-analysis-project-guidelines-and-best-practices/

Best,
Tal

----------------Contact
Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM, alaios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> It is time to start writing more and more function and I want to read in a
> good reference
> -book ( I can buy one, especially if it is second handed :P)
> -online tutorial
> -any other guide
>
> -How functions really work in R
> -How to write bigger R programs
> -If there are local function variables.
> -Global ones and how to treat them
> -How to include function files in order to keep your all increasing code
> into separate files
> -How to debug an R program step by step.
> -How to print debugging messages.
>
> I would like to thank you in advance for your help
>
> Best Regards
> Alex

Re: Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

alaios
I would like to thank you for spending your time to reply to my post.
So far I checked the links provided.

What is still missing is to find some information how local and global variables work in R. Do you know any link for that? (checked the book but from the table of contents is not clear if are included or not).

Best Regards
Alex

Re: Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

David Winsemius

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html#Scope

> Best Regards
> Alex

(You might consider including context in future postings. See the
little [ " ] icon on the Nabble web interface.)

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

alaios
Thanks for your reply.

Do you also know more references about variables? Unfortunately this was a little bit short so I do not feel 100% sure I completely got it.

Best Regards
Alex

Best Regards
Alex

Re: Looking for a book/tutorial with the following context:

Greg Snow-2
A free book is available at: http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/spoetry.html

Or the book S Programming by Venables and Ripley is another great source of information on programming in S/R.

There are additional books listed at: http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html as well as much free documentation also through the r-project website that may help.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Hadley Wickham-2
> Do you also know more references about variables? Unfortunately this was a
> little bit short so I do not feel 100% sure I completely got it.

Try here:
http://github.com/hadley/devtools/wiki/Scoping

It's a work in progress.

Hadley