Map of UK Counties - to use in R

RaoulD
Hi,
Can anyone help me with either of these:
1) Map of the UK counties that I could use in R?
2) How could I use an existing map for example, a map from here http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/maps/england.html - in R. I need to use a UK map to plot locations on it by lat & long.

Would appreciate help on any of these.
Thanks,
Raoul

Re: Map of UK Counties - to use in R

Roger Bivand
The illustration you show is for the so-called traditional or historical counties of England, which may be available somewhere. There are non-georeferenced PNG files on Wikipedia, which might be used, but as far as I can see, only UK-based academics can register for access to the edina UK borders datasets.

One possibility is to use the 2006 NUTS boundaries shapefile from GISCO/EUROSTAT at:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/gisco/geodata/reference

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/GISCO/geodatafiles/NUTS_03M_2006_SH.zip

and in R using something like:

library(rgdal)
RG <- readOGR(".", "NUTS_RG_03M_2006")
names(RG)
UK <- grep("^UK", RG$NUTS_ID)
RG_UK <- RG[UK,]
plot(RG_UK, axes=TRUE)
summary(RG_UK)

You'll then need to find the regions you want, possibly from:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/nuts.asp

so that you can retain only England, and choose the NUTS* boundaries that suit your "counties" - which are not presently well-defined because of boundary and administrative changes. The GISCO shapefile is in geographical coordinates, so you'll be able to overplot points by longitude and latitude.

Hope this helps,

Roger Bivand

Raoul wrote
Hi,
Can anyone help me with either of these:
1) Map of the UK counties that I could use in R?
2) How could I use an existing map for example, a map from here http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/maps/england.html - in R. I need to use a UK map to plot locations on it by lat & long.

Would appreciate help on any of these.
Thanks,
Raoul
Roger Bivand
Department of Economics
NHH Norwegian School of Economics
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway

Re: Map of UK Counties - to use in R

Hisaji ONO
Hello.

 shapefiles in geographic coordinates for Epi Info
 http://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/europe.htm second-level at
1998,  free available but  not public domain

 Regards.

--- Roger Bivand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The illustration you show is for the so-called
> traditional or historical
> counties of England, which may be available
> somewhere. There are
> non-georeferenced PNG files on Wikipedia, which
> might be used, but as far as
> I can see, only UK-based academics can register for
> access to the edina UK
> borders datasets.
>
> One possibility is to use the 2006 NUTS boundaries
> shapefile from
> GISCO/EUROSTAT at:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/gisco/geodata/reference

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/GISCO/geodatafiles/NUTS_03M_2006_SH.zip

> and in R using something like:
>
> library(rgdal)
> RG <- readOGR(".", "NUTS_RG_03M_2006")
> names(RG)
> UK <- grep("^UK", RG$NUTS_ID)
> RG_UK <- RG[UK,]
> plot(RG_UK, axes=TRUE)
> summary(RG_UK)
>
> You'll then need to find the regions you want,
> possibly from:
>
> http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geography/nuts.asp
>
> so that you can retain only England, and choose the
> NUTS* boundaries that
> suit your "counties" - which are not presently
> well-defined because of
> boundary and administrative changes. The GISCO
> shapefile is in geographical
> coordinates, so you'll be able to overplot points by
> longitude and latitude.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Roger Bivand
>

> Raoul wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Can anyone help me with either of these:
> > 1) Map of the UK counties that I could use in R?
> > 2) How could I use an existing map for example, a
> map from here
> > http://www.itraveluk.co.uk/maps/england.html - in
> R. I need to use a UK
> > map to plot locations on it by lat & long.
> >
> > Would appreciate help on any of these.
> > Thanks,
> > Raoul

> Nabble.com.

> reproducible code.

Re: Map of UK Counties - to use in R

RaoulD
Thanks a million Roger! This works well. All I now need to do is to figure how I can plot data from a csv file onto the map. I really appreciate your assistance!
Regards,
Raoul

Roger Bivand wrote

Thanks,
Raoul

Re: Map of UK Counties - to use in R

Roger Bivand
If your csv file has points, you can read into a data.frame using

df <- read.csv(<file name>)

in the usual way (watch the decimal sign and use read.csv2() if need be), and coerce to a SpatialPointsDataFrame by saying

coordinates(df) <- c("long", "lat")

where "long", "lat" are the names of the data.frame columns with the geographical coordinates.

points(df)

on the county boundary basemap will then display the points, your choice of pch=. Do do summary(df) and check that your coordinates do fall inside the county basemap! If west of Greenwich are large numbers <= 360, subtract 360 from all longitude values over 180 (untried, but does happen, so worth checking).

If your csv file has extra data for the county entities, you'll need to identify which are which in order to make thematic maps.

Roger

Raoul wrote