Quantcast

Maps: Country coding

Berthold Stegemann
Hello,

I am using the maps library for plotting maps.

To build new geograhical sets such as Europe I use

europe = c('Germany','Netherlands',...)

Is there a list of county codes used by the map function.

Thanks,
Berthold

--
Berthold Stegemann
Brunssumstrasse 21a

Re: Maps: Country coding

Ray Brownrigg-2
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Berthold Stegemann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using the maps library for plotting maps.
>
> To build new geograhical sets such as Europe I use
>
> europe = c('Germany','Netherlands',...)
>
> Is there a list of county codes used by the map function.
>
> Thanks,
> Berthold

If you mean the names of the countries, have a look at the file:
${R_HOME}/library/maps/mapdata/world.N which lists the name associated with every polygon.

Note that the maps database is historical, for example Czechoslovakia is one country.

Hope this helps,
Ray Brownrigg

Re: Maps: Country coding

Kjetil Halvorsen
have a look at the cran pacvkage countrycode!

Kjetil