Matrix package download problem

Ashley Ford
Trying to install the Matrix package with  install.packages fails for me
  on Linux, it is trying to fetch the wrong version 0.99-4, downloading
the tgz which is 0.99-6 and using R CMD INSTALL works fine

The output from the failed install was

 > install.packages(c("Matrix"))
trying URL 'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/src/contrib/Matrix_0.99-4.tar.gz'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
         cannot open URL
'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/src/contrib/Matrix_0.99-4.tar.gz'
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
available,  :
          download of package 'Matrix' failed
 > R.version
          _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    2.1
year     2005
month    12
day      20
svn rev  36812
language R

Re: Matrix package download problem

Uwe Ligges
Ashley Ford wrote:

> Trying to install the Matrix package with  install.packages fails for me
>   on Linux, it is trying to fetch the wrong version 0.99-4, downloading
> the tgz which is 0.99-6 and using R CMD INSTALL works fine
>

> The output from the failed install was
>
>  > install.packages(c("Matrix"))
> trying URL 'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/src/contrib/Matrix_0.99-4.tar.gz'
> Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>          cannot open URL

Looks like your repository information got not updated (the repositorty
seems to be consistent). A temporary repository information is stored
and should be refreshed after a R is restarted. How long is your R
process already opened?
Hence: Please start a fresh R session and try again.

Uwe Ligges

> 'http://cran.uk.r-project.org/src/contrib/Matrix_0.99-4.tar.gz'
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'
> Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
> available,  :
>           download of package 'Matrix' failed
>  > R.version
>           _
> platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
> arch     i686
> os       linux-gnu
> system   i686, linux-gnu
> status
> major    2
> minor    2.1
> year     2005
> month    12
> day      20
> svn rev  36812
> language R

Re: Matrix package download problem

Prof Brian Ripley
Try another mirror.

This looks like a caching problem between you and the mirror, as the entry
in PACKAGES is correct on the mirror.  (The code tries to avoid cached
copies, but not all caches cooperate.)