Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Chris Buddenhagen
Does anyone know of some code, and examples that implement game theory/Nash
equilibrium hypothesis testing using existing packages like igraph/statnet
or similar?

Perhaps along the lines of this article:

Zhang, Y., Aziz-Alaoui, M. A., Bertelle, C., & Guan, J. (2014). Local Nash
Equilibrium in Social Networks, *4*, 6224.

Best,
Chris Buddenhagen

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Rui Barradas
Hello,

A Google search for "R package Local Nash Equilibrium"
got

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/GNE/GNE.pdf

as the first hit.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Em 27-06-2017 16:45, Chris Buddenhagen escreveu:

> Does anyone know of some code, and examples that implement game theory/Nash
> equilibrium hypothesis testing using existing packages like igraph/statnet
> or similar?
>
> Perhaps along the lines of this article:
>
> Zhang, Y., Aziz-Alaoui, M. A., Bertelle, C., & Guan, J. (2014). Local Nash
> Equilibrium in Social Networks, *4*, 6224.
>
> Best,
> Chris Buddenhagen

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Boris Steipe
I don't think OP asked an unreasonable question at all.

Civility!

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 2:00 PM, Suzen, Mehmet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why don't you implement and uplad the package to CRAN?
>
> On 27 Jun 2017 17:45, "Chris Buddenhagen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know of some code, and examples that implement game theory/Nash
> equilibrium hypothesis testing using existing packages like igraph/statnet
> or similar?
>
> Perhaps along the lines of this article:
>
> Zhang, Y., Aziz-Alaoui, M. A., Bertelle, C., & Guan, J. (2014). Local Nash
> Equilibrium in Social Networks, *4*, 6224.
>
> Best,
> Chris Buddenhagen

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Jeff Newmiller
In what way does reminding people that packages exist because others just like them contributed something count as being uncivil? Terse, perhaps, since it bypassed the obvious suggestion to use a search engine, but not rude.

On June 28, 2017 5:08:16 AM EDT, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I don't think OP asked an unreasonable question at all.
>
>Civility!
>

>> On Jun 27, 2017, at 2:00 PM, Suzen, Mehmet <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Why don't you implement and uplad the package to CRAN?
>>
>> On 27 Jun 2017 17:45, "Chris Buddenhagen" <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of some code, and examples that implement game
>theory/Nash
>> equilibrium hypothesis testing using existing packages like
>igraph/statnet
>> or similar?
>>
>> Perhaps along the lines of this article:
>>
>> Zhang, Y., Aziz-Alaoui, M. A., Bertelle, C., & Guan, J. (2014). Local
>Nash
>> Equilibrium in Social Networks, *4*, 6224.
>>
>> Best,
>> Chris Buddenhagen
>> [hidden email]

>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Boris Steipe
I responded to the unhelpful suggestion "Why don't you implement and uplad the package to CRAN?" No  mention of a search engine. Is this what you are commenting on Jeff?

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 5:41 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In what way does reminding people that packages exist because others just like them contributed something count as being uncivil? Terse, perhaps, since it bypassed the obvious suggestion to use a search engine, but not rude.
>
> On June 28, 2017 5:08:16 AM EDT, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't think OP asked an unreasonable question at all.
>>
>> Civility!
>>

>>> On Jun 27, 2017, at 2:00 PM, Suzen, Mehmet <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why don't you implement and uplad the package to CRAN?
>>>
>>> On 27 Jun 2017 17:45, "Chris Buddenhagen" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of some code, and examples that implement game
>> theory/Nash
>>> equilibrium hypothesis testing using existing packages like
>> igraph/statnet
>>> or similar?
>>>
>>> Perhaps along the lines of this article:
>>>
>>> Zhang, Y., Aziz-Alaoui, M. A., Bertelle, C., & Guan, J. (2014). Local
>> Nash
>>> Equilibrium in Social Networks, *4*, 6224.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Chris Buddenhagen
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Chris Buddenhagen
Thanks I too wondered about the tone. The first suggestion was that I
should "google it" and the second, write my own code. I think if I did I'd
be reinventing the wheel, (and it'd be a big challenge for me). Also, I
have been searching and not found such code, despite evidence that it has
been coded (just not sure if it was in R). BTW I did write to authors of
the article I cited, but no reply.

Chris Buddenhagen
[hidden email]

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 5:44 AM, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I responded to the unhelpful suggestion "Why don't you implement and uplad
> the package to CRAN?" No  mention of a search engine. Is this what you are
> commenting on Jeff?
>

> > On Jun 28, 2017, at 5:41 AM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > In what way does reminding people that packages exist because others
> just like them contributed something count as being uncivil? Terse,
> perhaps, since it bypassed the obvious suggestion to use a search engine,
> but not rude.
> > --
> > Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.
> >
> > On June 28, 2017 5:08:16 AM EDT, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I don't think OP asked an unreasonable question at all.
> >>
> >> Civility!

> >> theory/Nash
> >> igraph/statnet

> >> Nash

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Jeff Newmiller
There are many possible responses to the question "Is there a package to do X." Some that I can imagine are:

* Yes, see package Y...
* No, I am familiar with all 10000 packages and there isn't...
* Silence (because no one who is paying attention is familiar with the one that exists)
* Use a search engine...
* You are a jerk because you did not use a search engine
* Packages exist because people like you did not find what they were looking for

My point was that response 5 would have been uncivil, but 6 was a valid reminder and Mehmet was just being brief, not rude.

The first does happen, but it is more common that if the question sounds interesting that this question triggers list members to search for themselves. If the OP tells us that they did this already and package Y (that appears as soon as we do this) is unsuitable for some specific reason, then we all nod and agree that the search engine wasn't up to the task and watch with the OP in case someone does respond with an answer. But when the OP does not do that we get frustrated that yet again we are being treated like a search engine by someone who does not do their homework, since we don't know why they regarded the first search result as unsuitable.

Keep in mind that broadcasting to many uninterested parties when the pool of targeted individuals (in this case,  people who have the answer readily available) is very very small is an activity most people call "spam". Showing your work so that someone else can either see something you missed or share in the joy when a rare answer comes through is what elevates such a posting from spam to shared research.

On June 28, 2017 5:44:31 AM EDT, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I responded to the unhelpful suggestion "Why don't you implement and
>uplad the package to CRAN?" No  mention of a search engine. Is this
>what you are commenting on Jeff?
>

>> On Jun 28, 2017, at 5:41 AM, Jeff Newmiller
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In what way does reminding people that packages exist because others
>just like them contributed something count as being uncivil? Terse,
>perhaps, since it bypassed the obvious suggestion to use a search
>engine, but not rude.
>> --
>>
>> On June 28, 2017 5:08:16 AM EDT, Boris Steipe
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don't think OP asked an unreasonable question at all.
>>>
>>> Civility!

>>> theory/Nash
>>> igraph/statnet

>Local
>>> Nash

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Rui Barradas

So you misunderstood me. I didn't suggest that you should google it,
what I did was to say that it's what I've done. And found a package. Bad
luck if that package doesn't do what you want. Hope you find one.

Rui Barradas

Spencer Graves-4

On 2017-06-28 5:40 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Showing your work so that someone else can either see something you missed or share in the joy when a rare answer comes through is what elevates such a posting from spam to shared research.

A "fortune"?

       sg

Re: Nash equilibrium and other game theory tools implemented in networks using igraph or similar

Suzen, Mehmet
Hello Chris,

I was implying you are capable enough to implement it, while you have
already identify a research paper. If there is no package out there,
uploading to CRAN would help future user too. I am more than happy to
help if you want to implement from scratch.

Best,
Mehmet

On 2017-06-28 11:36 AM, Suzen, Mehmet wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> I was implying you are capable enough to implement it, while you have
> already identify a research paper. If there is no package out there,
> uploading to CRAN would help future user too. I am more than happy to
> help if you want to implement from scratch.

       sos::findFn("nash equilibrium") identified 4 packages: antitrust,
GNE, GPGame, and nopp.  I found GNE mentioned earlier in this thread but
not the other three.  Similar searches for "nash equilibrium networ" and
"nash equilibrium networks" returned no matches.

       By the way, one of the sessions at useR!2017 in Brussels next
week will discuss "Navigating the R package universe".  This will
provide a brief overview of tools currently available, followed by a
general discussion of what people would want in tools to make it easier
to find and use what you want in contributed packages, now well over
10,000.  The planned discussion will briefly cover the "sos" package,
"RDocumentation.org", METACRAN (www.r-pkg.org), "Task views", and other
tools.

       We're hoping that this session will facilitate the development of
one or more teams to collaborate on the following:

             * Creating common interfaces for different approaches to
essentially the same problem, like "optimx".

             * Improving "Task views".

             * Improving search capabilities.

       If you can make it to useR!2017, we hope to see you in this
session, Wed. July 5, from 17:00 - 18:30 in the main meeting room. If
you might like to help with this but can't make Brussels, please stay
tuned for further announcements or contact me after the conference for
further information.

       Spencer Graves

p.s.  Please excuse if I highjacked this thread to promote this session,
but I didn't see any mention of the sos package or RDocumentation.org,
so it seemed appropriate.