Need to understand how to troubleshoot below error

Need to understand how to troubleshoot below error

R help mailing list-2
Hi
Im unable to write or save my R studio files
Below error is thrown when the same code works for others
Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :   cannot open the connectionIn addition: Warning message:In file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :  cannot open file 'housedatacomplete.csv': No such file or directory

Meena

Re: Need to understand how to troubleshoot below error

jholtman
Can you show the code that was being executed at the time.  Have you
verified that the path to the file is correct for the directory that you
are using?  Have you validated that you have the correct permissions in the
directory to create the file?  Show the complete path length that you were
using and then follow that path to make sure that there is a directory
there that you can write into.

Jim Holtman
*Data Munger Guru*

*What is the problem that you are trying to solve?Tell me what you want to
do, not how you want to do it.*

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM MEENA SUBRAMANIAN via R-help <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> Im unable to write or save my R studio files
> Below error is thrown when the same code works for others
> Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :   cannot open the
> connectionIn addition: Warning message:In file(file, ifelse(append, "a",
> "w")) :  cannot open file 'housedatacomplete.csv': No such file or directory
>
> Meena

Re: Need to understand how to troubleshoot below error

Jeff Newmiller
When you specify a filename such as 'housedatacomplete.csv' which has no directory path information, the file is assumed to be in the "current directory" which you can identify using the status notation at the top of the RStudio console window or using the R getwd() function. Note that we may guess something about what may be wrong if you provide that information in your request here, but it is more likely that you will need to use the operating system to investigate permissions which are really off-topic here. Your best bet will be to find a local computer tech or sysadmin to help you solve your mystery, since there can be many special configurations we on the mailing list won't know about.

One note: since you are using RStudio, be sure to create a Project directory/file and do your work with a project open. That way most problems with permissions and working in the wrong directory should usually be avoided. If you cannot create a project then you definitely need local help.

On October 20, 2018 3:08:28 PM PDT, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Can you show the code that was being executed at the time.  Have you
>verified that the path to the file is correct for the directory that
>you
>are using?  Have you validated that you have the correct permissions in
>the
>directory to create the file?  Show the complete path length that you
>were
>using and then follow that path to make sure that there is a directory
>there that you can write into.
>
>Jim Holtman
>*Data Munger Guru*
>

>*What is the problem that you are trying to solve?Tell me what you want
>do, not how you want to do it.*
>

>On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM MEENA SUBRAMANIAN via R-help <
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Im unable to write or save my R studio files
>> Below error is thrown when the same code works for others
>> Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :   cannot open the
>> connectionIn addition: Warning message:In file(file, ifelse(append,
>"a",
>> "w")) :  cannot open file 'housedatacomplete.csv': No such file or
>directory
>>
>> Meena

Re: Need to understand how to troubleshoot below error

R help mailing list-2
 Hi Jeff,
im a new learner to R an I am trying to execute the below and my files get created except for the last function write.csv(housedata, file ="housedatacomplete.csv")write where my new file housedatacomplete.csv does not get created and no write command works for me. Also I am unable to save any files.

setwd("C:\\Users\\Vidyut\\Desktop\\I2R")

getwd()

housesalesdata<-read.csv("housesalesdata.csv")

housefeaturesdata<-read.csv("housefeaturesdata.csv")

housedata<-merge(housesalesdata,housefeaturesdata,by="ID")

write.csv(housedata, file ="housedatacomplete.csv")

Thanks

Meena

    On ‎Sunday‎, ‎21‎ ‎October‎ ‎2018‎ ‎04‎:‎49‎:‎49‎ ‎AM‎ ‎IST, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

 When you specify a filename such as 'housedatacomplete.csv' which has no directory path information, the file is assumed to be in the "current directory" which you can identify using the status notation at the top of the RStudio console window or using the R getwd() function. Note that we may guess something about what may be wrong if you provide that information in your request here, but it is more likely that you will need to use the operating system to investigate permissions which are really off-topic here. Your best bet will be to find a local computer tech or sysadmin to help you solve your mystery, since there can be many special configurations we on the mailing list won't know about.

One note: since you are using RStudio, be sure to create a Project directory/file and do your work with a project open. That way most problems with permissions and working in the wrong directory should usually be avoided. If you cannot create a project then you definitely need local help.

On October 20, 2018 3:08:28 PM PDT, jim holtman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Can you show the code that was being executed at the time.  Have you
>verified that the path to the file is correct for the directory that
>you
>are using?  Have you validated that you have the correct permissions in
>the
>directory to create the file?  Show the complete path length that you
>were
>using and then follow that path to make sure that there is a directory
>there that you can write into.
>
>Jim Holtman
>*Data Munger Guru*
>

>*What is the problem that you are trying to solve?Tell me what you want
>do, not how you want to do it.*
>

>On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM MEENA SUBRAMANIAN via R-help <
>[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Im unable to write or save my R studio files
>> Below error is thrown when the same code works for others
>> Error in file(file, ifelse(append, "a", "w")) :  cannot open the
>> connectionIn addition: Warning message:In file(file, ifelse(append,
>"a",
>> "w")) :  cannot open file 'housedatacomplete.csv': No such file or
>directory
>>
>> Meena
>>        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Need to understand how to troubleshoot below error

Jeff Newmiller
This looks like a case where some local tech assistance from someone familiar with Windows permissions settings would be appropriate. You may have erroneously installed R using "As Administrator" privileges, which can not only make it difficult to do anything useful but it can be difficult to completely reverse the permissions damage that has already been done. I suggest you remove R completely and in addition remove the user library directory located at C:\\Users\\Vidyut\\Documents\\R or  C:\\Users\\Vidyut\\R. This may require working in As Administrator mode to succeed, which is why some local tech support might be advisable, particularly if my diagnosis is wrong.

Once R is completely eradicated you should be able to install R as a normal user and give permission to install only when prompted, and avoid using As Administrator mode in the future.