Newbie - Scrape Data From PDFs?

Scott Clausen
Hello,

I’m new to R and am using it with RStudio to learn the language. I’m doing so as I have quite a lot of traffic data I would like to explore. My problem is that all the data is located on a number of PDFs. Can someone point me to info on gathering data from other sources? I’ve been to the R FAQ and didn’t see anything and would appreciate your thoughts.

 I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

-- Mark Twain

Re: Newbie - Scrape Data From PDFs?

Eric Berger
Hi Scott,
I have never done this myself but I read something recently on the
r-help distribution that was related.
I just did a quick search and found a few hits that might work for you.

1. https://medium.com/@CharlesBordet/how-to-extract-and-clean-data-from-pdf-files-in-r-da11964e252e
2. http://bxhorn.com/2016/extract-data-tables-from-pdf-files-in-r/
3. https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/textreadr/versions/0.7.0/topics/read_pdf

HTH,
Eric

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:58 AM, Scott Clausen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m new to R and am using it with RStudio to learn the language. I’m doing so as I have quite a lot of traffic data I would like to explore. My problem is that all the data is located on a number of PDFs. Can someone point me to info on gathering data from other sources? I’ve been to the R FAQ and didn’t see anything and would appreciate your thoughts.
>
>  I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
>
> -- Mark Twain

Re: Newbie - Scrape Data From PDFs?

Ulrik Stervbo-2
I think I would use pdftk to extract the form data. All subsequent
manipulation in R.

HTH
Ulrik

Eric Berger <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 24. Jan. 2018, 08:11:

> Hi Scott,
> I have never done this myself but I read something recently on the
> r-help distribution that was related.
> I just did a quick search and found a few hits that might work for you.
>
> 1.
> https://medium.com/@CharlesBordet/how-to-extract-and-clean-data-from-pdf-files-in-r-da11964e252e
> 2. http://bxhorn.com/2016/extract-data-tables-from-pdf-files-in-r/
> 3.
> https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/textreadr/versions/0.7.0/topics/read_pdf
>
> HTH,
> Eric
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 3:58 AM, Scott Clausen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m new to R and am using it with RStudio to learn the language. I’m
> doing so as I have quite a lot of traffic data I would like to explore. My
> problem is that all the data is located on a number of PDFs. Can someone
> point me to info on gathering data from other sources? I’ve been to the R
> FAQ and didn’t see anything and would appreciate your thoughts.
> >
> >  I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning
> religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
> >
> > -- Mark Twain

Re: Newbie - Scrape Data From PDFs?

Jeff Newmiller
And a warning to the OP... PDF files are like packages.... a wide variety of things can be inside, including text in semi-random order, or bitmap images of text... so having a tool that extracts text from the file will only be of use if your PDF files happen to be of the type that contain reasonably unscrambled  text.