OT: Monograph on Statistical Programming

OT: Monograph on Statistical Programming

Rau, Roland
Dear all,

my question might be a bit off-topic.
Is there anything like a standard textbook on statistical programming?
With that I don't mean anything like MASS, S Programming, Programming
with Data, ... (no offense meant, they are fantastic books and each of
those three helped me a great deal).
Rather in the direction of the "Numerical Recipes" Series addressing how
to implement various functions.

There are bits and pieces all over the place (The Art of Computer
Programming, Numerical Recipes, Algorithms in ...(Sedgewick), etc.)...
But is there one book like "The Art of Statistical Programming"?
Maybe writing such a book could be impossible because the choice of
implementation language could be crucial and also the choice of
algorithms could be problematic.
Nevertheless I hope that someone dared to tackle such a project.

Thanks,
Roland

Re: OT: Monograph on Statistical Programming

Liaw, Andy
I'd say most books on statistical computing would sort of fit your
description, but few will have code examples.  The ones I have (and liked)
are Thisted, Monahan (which has Fortran code available), and the Handbook of
Statistical Computing (edited volume).  Prof. Gentle has at least two
volumes in a series published so far as well (recently, not the one from
1980).  I'm sure there are a few others.

HTH,
Andy

  _____