Obtain coordinates for city names

Miluji Sb
I have a dataframe (more than 50,000 observations), of cities in the EU.

My goal is to assign NUTS-2 code to each of these cities. However, I am not
aware of any direct way of achieving this, so I wanted to first assign
coordinates to the cities and then use the 'over' function to match with
NUTS regions from EU shapefile.

I have tried to use 'geocode' from the ggmap package but there is a 2,500
per day limit. Is there any other solution? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Cross-posed yesterday on r-sig-ge,

Sincerely,

Milu