Opening R

Sydney Torbett
Hello!  I have a Dell XPS laptop that runs windows and once I download and install R, keeping all defaults, when I try to open the application that’s on my desktop, a notification just pops up prompting a re-installation process.  I can’t actually get inside R and I’ve followed all of the directions properly to install it so why is this happening?  Here are some pictures to hopefully help you understand the situation a little better.
1. Installing R

2. Set Up Complete

3. My teacher’s post explaining that once I double-click on R, that image should pop up.

4. What actually happens when I double-click R on my desktop (leads me through the installation process again).

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Opening R

Eric Berger
Hi Sydney,
This mailing list is a text-only list so your pictures are not coming
through.
I am guessing that you are clicking on the setup (installation) program and
not on R.
That would explain why you are being led to the installation process again.

You can try to search for another desktop icon that may be R.
Or search for the program R.exe.
Another possibility is to download RStudio which is a complete environment
(IDE) for
working with R.

I hope that helps,
Eric

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 10:43 AM Sydney Torbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello!  I have a Dell XPS laptop that runs windows and once I download and
> install R, keeping all defaults, when I try to open the application that’s
> on my desktop, a notification just pops up prompting a re-installation
> process.  I can’t actually get inside R and I’ve followed all of the
> directions properly to install it so why is this happening?  Here are some
> pictures to hopefully help you understand the situation a little better.
> 1. Installing R
>
> 2. Set Up Complete
>
> 3. My teacher’s post explaining that once I double-click on R, that image
> should pop up.
>
> 4. What actually happens when I double-click R on my desktop (leads me
> through the installation process again).
>
> Sent from my iPhone______________________________________________

Re: Opening R

David Carlson
Files with .png extensions generally make it through the list so, this attachment should survive. It shows the icons for R on Windows. The first is the icon for the R installation software, the second and third are the icons for the 64bit and 32 bit versions of R respectively. These icons may be in Start menu, not on the desktop.

---------------------------------------
David L. Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University

wrote:

> Hello!  I have a Dell XPS laptop that runs windows and once I download and
> install R, keeping all defaults, when I try to open the application that’s
> on my desktop, a notification just pops up prompting a re-installation
> process.  I can’t actually get inside R and I’ve followed all of the
> directions properly to install it so why is this happening?  Here are some
> pictures to hopefully help you understand the situation a little better.
> 1. Installing R
>
> 2. Set Up Complete
>
> 3. My teacher’s post explaining that once I double-click on R, that image
> should pop up.
>
> 4. What actually happens when I double-click R on my desktop (leads me
> through the installation process again).

IconsR.PNG (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Opening R

Jeff Newmiller
I don't see any attachments. I agree with Eric... depending on images in questions posed here is an unreliable strategy.

Re: pop-up messages regarding re-installation on Windows... I have never seen that occur with R, but I have seen it with other programs years ago. There are settings that Windows can apply that make newer versions of Windows behave as though they were older versions while running a specific program. As long as you are installing a current version of R downloaded from a valid CRAN mirror I don't think this compatibility feature should be triggered by R, so my recommendation would be to completely uninstall R and re-install a freshly retrieved copy. I would also warn against using any special Administrator privileges during install... if you are prompted by Windows about installing software then agree, but I would not expect you to have to take other special steps when running the setup program.