Quantcast

Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

lynnland
Hi Gang,

I realize this post is not directly related to programing issues with R, however, it appears this may be the best place to ask my question.

I am putting forward a request that R be considered "approved" software in my organization.  Never an easy task, this is made much more difficult given that it is open source software (sends the IT gang into little fits).  So, I am compiling a list of organizations (Universities, goverment, industry,etc.) that are using R and whose IT department considers it approved software.

If you belong to such an organization could you please let me know? If you know of organizations that this applies to, but are not directly affiliated with them I would still be interested but please just let me know which of these two cases your response fits into.

Thanks in advance.

Lynn

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

Michael Weylandt
Slightly on topic, just yesterday, the CFPB announced they'll be using
R in their work: http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/applications/

Depending on the scale of your organization, it may not be the
open-source nature that's quite the problem of the "IT Gang" but
rather the support (or lack thereof) that's implied by the default
startup message. Just like the GNU/Linux world, there exist
commercially supported versions that help to fill this gap: if that's
the case, and y'all can afford it, some companies have taken
advantage of the support contracts provided by Revolution Analytics
(whom you can google).

To your question, I'd imagine almost all universities support R to one
degree or another, many hosting CRAN mirrors (or the CRAN master at WU
Wien or the WinBuilder at TU Dortmund ). In industry, many
pharmaceutical and financial firms are using R more and more (the blog
linked above records these stories nicely) -- we have many users on
this list who are associated with major medical institutions as well.
Perhaps you can state your general line of work and folks in the same
field will come along to share "war stories."

Michael

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM, lynnland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I realize this post is not directly related to programing issues with R,
> however, it appears this may be the best place to ask my question.
>
> I am putting forward a request that R be considered "approved" software in
> my organization.  Never an easy task, this is made much more difficult given
> that it is open source software (sends the IT gang into little fits).  So, I
> am compiling a list of organizations (Universities, goverment,
> industry,etc.) that are using R and whose IT department considers it
> approved software.
>
> If you belong to such an organization could you please let me know? If you
> know of organizations that this applies to, but are not directly affiliated
> with them I would still be interested but please just let me know which of
> these two cases your response fits into.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lynn

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

David Smith-4
It's hard to respond without making it seem like an advertisement for
Revolution Analytics, but helping companies and government
organizations standardize on R (specifically, Revolution R) for data
analysis is something we specialize in. The (partial) list of our
customers using Revolution R at

http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/aboutus/our-customers.php

may be useful fodder for your IT group, as may be this list of
applications companies have done with R:

http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/what-is-open-source-r/companies-using-r.php

The section on the Revolutions blog that Michael Weylandt pointed to
(http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/applications/) may also be useful
to you.

If you'd like to contact me directly, I'd be happy to connect you with
some folks here at Revolution Analytics that can provide direct help
on getting R adopted at your organization.

Hope this is useful to you,
# David Smith

--
David M Smith <[hidden email]>
VP of Marketing, Revolution Analytics  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

Thomas Adams
All:

R is used by the NOAA/U.S. National Weather Service to generate graphics
representing real-time hydrologic ensemble (probabilistic) forecasts. Go
to: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/mmefs/ to see.

It is also used in research and development for forecast verification and
analyses for the calibration of distributed hydrologic models.

Tom

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM, David Smith
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> It's hard to respond without making it seem like an advertisement for
> Revolution Analytics, but helping companies and government
> organizations standardize on R (specifically, Revolution R) for data
> analysis is something we specialize in. The (partial) list of our
> customers using Revolution R at
>
> http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/aboutus/our-customers.php
>
> may be useful fodder for your IT group, as may be this list of
> applications companies have done with R:
>

> http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/what-is-open-source-r/companies-using-r.php
>
> The section on the Revolutions blog that Michael Weylandt pointed to
> (http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/applications/) may also be useful
> to you.
>
> If you'd like to contact me directly, I'd be happy to connect you with
> some folks here at Revolution Analytics that can provide direct help
> on getting R adopted at your organization.
>
> Hope this is useful to you,
> # David Smith
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:04, lynnland <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Gang,
> >
> > I realize this post is not directly related to programing issues with R,
> > however, it appears this may be the best place to ask my question.
> >
> > I am putting forward a request that R be considered "approved" software
> in
> > my organization.  Never an easy task, this is made much more difficult
> given
> > that it is open source software (sends the IT gang into little fits).
>  So, I
> > am compiling a list of organizations (Universities, goverment,
> > industry,etc.) that are using R and whose IT department considers it
> > approved software.
> >
> > If you belong to such an organization could you please let me know? If
> you
> > know of organizations that this applies to, but are not directly
> affiliated
> > with them I would still be interested but please just let me know which
> of
> > these two cases your response fits into.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Lynn
>
> --
> David M Smith <[hidden email]>
> VP of Marketing, Revolution Analytics  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
> Tel: +1 (650) 646-9523 (Palo Alto, CA, USA)

Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service
Ohio River Forecast Center
1901 South State Route 134
Wilmington, OH 45177

EMAIL: [hidden email]
VOICE: 937-383-0528
FAX: 937-383-0033

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

Henrik Bengtsson-3
May be of use too:

The R Foundation for Statistical Computing, R: Regulatory Compliance
and Validation Issues - A Guidance Document for the Use of R in
Regulated Clinical Trial Environments, August 17, 2008
[http://www.r-project.org/certification.html]

/Henrik

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > know of organizations that this applies to, but are not directly
>> affiliated
>> > with them I would still be interested but please just let me know which
>> of
>> > these two cases your response fits into.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Lynn
>>
>> --
>> David M Smith <[hidden email]>
>> VP of Marketing, Revolution Analytics  http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
>> Tel: +1 (650) 646-9523 (Palo Alto, CA, USA)

> Thomas E Adams
> National Weather Service
> Ohio River Forecast Center
> 1901 South State Route 134
> Wilmington, OH 45177
>
> EMAIL:  [hidden email]
> VOICE:  937-383-0528
> FAX:    937-383-0033

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

Michael Bibo-2
lynnland <lynn.landriault <at> ontario.ca> writes:

> I am putting forward a request that R be considered "approved" software in
> my organization.  Never an easy task, this is made much more difficult given
> that it is open source software (sends the IT gang into little fits).  So, I
> am compiling a list of organizations (Universities, goverment,
> industry,etc.) that are using R and whose IT department considers it
> approved software.

Have you seen this from the archives?

http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../msg45768.html

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

Liviu Andronic
On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Michael Bibo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have you seen this from the archives?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@.../msg45768.html

In addition see [1], which highlights the likes of Google, Merck or
Stanford University.

Liviu

[1] http://www.r-project.org/foundation/memberlist.html

Re: Organizations where IT has approved the use of R software

lynnland
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses and interest.

I was aware of Revolution Analytics and had seen some of the other links but some were new.  The list received should be of great help.  Given the R courses that used to be offered through the USGS site, I would assume they are using it but haven't received a response from them yet to the email I sent inquiring.

The organization in question is one of the provincial Natural Resources Ministries in Canada.

Cheers

Lynn