Packaged exe and Shiny

R help mailing list-2
Hey Everyone,

  I do not know if this topic has been covered, I'm sure it must have, but is there a good environment for packaging R code into a distributed exe. (which includes all of the required libraries, etc.)?  I have seen that Shiny is a good GUI / Web library for sharing R programs, but I have never used it.

What is the groups input on this?

My goal is to create some basic tools (with interfaces) at work for analyzing .csv files and generating basic graphs and output csv files. These tools would be distributed to team members to have on their desktops.   I considered doing this in Java, but I am more well versed in R so it would be quicker for me to whip up the varying tools in R than re-learning Java.

Thank you!

-Kevin

Re: Packaged exe and Shiny

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Kevin,
It might be just as easy to write R scripts that would do basic
analyses. Users could "source" these scripts in an R session or from
the command line. The scripts would be much more compact than the .exe
files that you describe.

Jim

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 8:06 AM Kevin Kowitski via R-help
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
>   I do not know if this topic has been covered, I'm sure it must have, but is there a good environment for packaging R code into a distributed exe. (which includes all of the required libraries, etc.)?  I have seen that Shiny is a good GUI / Web library for sharing R programs, but I have never used it.
>
> What is the groups input on this?
>
> My goal is to create some basic tools (with interfaces) at work for analyzing .csv files and generating basic graphs and output csv files. These tools would be distributed to team members to have on their desktops.   I considered doing this in Java, but I am more well versed in R so it would be quicker for me to whip up the varying tools in R than re-learning Java.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -Kevin

Re: Packaged exe and Shiny

Jeff Newmiller
IMO the best short answer is don't target making an install package or msi at all... the obstacles are quite significant. Aim for building most of your capabilities in packages and having people install them. You can setup an in-house package repo to simplify this and give them a startup script that configures their R environment.

There is also the option to use R-Portable [1] but this leads to massive deployment files that don't upgrade easily.

I also think that when the time crunch happens many people will go to the internet and copy-paste solutions that you would be unlikely to have anticipated. Closing off that scary console completely will keep you in the hot seat indefinitely, whereas giving them the option to go around your UI lets more resources be allocated later.

[1] https://www.r-bloggers.com/deploying-desktop-apps-with-r/amp/

On September 10, 2018 3:17:02 PM PDT, Jim Lemon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Kevin,
>It might be just as easy to write R scripts that would do basic
>analyses. Users could "source" these scripts in an R session or from
>the command line. The scripts would be much more compact than the .exe
>files that you describe.
>
>Jim
>
>On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 8:06 AM Kevin Kowitski via R-help
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Everyone,
>>
>>   I do not know if this topic has been covered, I'm sure it must
>have, but is there a good environment for packaging R code into a
>distributed exe. (which includes all of the required libraries, etc.)?
>I have seen that Shiny is a good GUI / Web library for sharing R
>programs, but I have never used it.
>>
>> What is the groups input on this?
>>
>> My goal is to create some basic tools (with interfaces) at work for
>analyzing .csv files and generating basic graphs and output csv files.
>These tools would be distributed to team members to have on their
>desktops.   I considered doing this in Java, but I am more well versed
>in R so it would be quicker for me to whip up the varying tools in R
>than re-learning Java.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -Kevin

Re: Packaged exe and Shiny

Eric Berger
Hi Kevin,
I did something along these lines using shiny and I had a good experience
with it.
You would require a server (virtual or physical) to run the shiny-server
program.
This approach is particularly suitable if your target users do not know (or
use) R.
If you go down this route I also suggest that your server be separate from
your
development machine. This way you can test new functionality and reboot your
development machine as you wish without causing issues for your users.
In my case I created a virtual server so there was no requirement to buy
additional hardware.

HTH,
Eric