Permission to use R Installation Screenshots and Datasets

Threaded

Permission to use R Installation Screenshots and Datasets

Srinivasa K G
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are in the process of developing a textbook on R and are writing to
request your permission to include certain screenshots relating to
installation of the package in our book to be published tentatively in May
2017. The description of our book is as follows*:*

*Title*: Statistical Programming in R

*Approx. no. of pages*: 400

*Approx. price*: ₹395.00

*Publisher*: Oxford University Press

*Territory rights*: Worldwide

We would be grateful if we might have your gratis permission to use the
screenshots (see attachment) in the above-mentioned title, supporting
supplements and any derivatives, which are to be published worldwide by
Oxford University Press. This permission would be required to cover all
media (print and electronic), any future revisions or editions of the book
and supplements and any translations of it published by Oxford University
Press or its licensees (world rights). Subject to your permissions, we
would ensure to provide due acknowledgements as appropriate.

We would also like to use the data sets (that are part and parcel of a
typical R package) to demonstrate problems and solutions in the book.

We are looking forward to your response at the earliest.

--
Dr. Srinivasa K G
Associate Professor

Re: Permission to use R Installation Screenshots and Datasets

Jeff Newmiller
I am not sure there exists any one person who can grant you permission to use screen shots, but someone with more clue than I have may be able to clear this up with you. Regarding packages, copyright rests with the package authors, so use the maintainer() function to find out who you need to ask for that permission regarding each package you plan to refer to. Note that you should read the license associated with each element of the software that you will "quote" (including screen shots), and those licenses are indicated in the help files. You may find your answers there with no further emails at all, but you might need legal assistance to interpret the language.

Do note that you really need to learn how to use the mailing list if you want recipients here to get your message. Read the Posting Guide, which warns you to send your email as plain text (not HTML formatted), and attachments are restricted to a very limited set of formats. Given the emails that you sent, if someone COULD grant you permission to show images, they did not receive any images to review so they currently don't know what you are talking about.