Port package

Jos-3-3
Hi

When I type:
> ?nls

I come across this section:

algorithm: character string specifying the algorithm to use. The
          default algorithm is a Gauss-Newton algorithm.  Other
          possible values are '"plinear"' for the Golub-Pereyra
          algorithm for partially linear least-squares models and
          '"port"' for the 'nl2sol' algorithm from the Port package.

The simple question is: where's the Port package?
I can't find it on cran.

Thanks,
Jos

Re: Port package

RKoenker
A more accurate wording,  I believe, would be "Port Library"  see:

        http://www.bell-labs.com/project/PORT/

Martin  will correct me if there really is a package!!

Unfortunately, the licensing link is broken on the URL above and
it would be interesting to know what the status of licensing really
is, since there were/are lots of useful things in this library.

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    [hidden email]            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820

On Jul 9, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Jos Kaefer wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I type:
>> ?nls
>
> I come across this section:
>
> algorithm: character string specifying the algorithm to use. The
>          default algorithm is a Gauss-Newton algorithm.  Other
>          possible values are '"plinear"' for the Golub-Pereyra
>          algorithm for partially linear least-squares models and
>          '"port"' for the 'nl2sol' algorithm from the Port package.
>
> The simple question is: where's the Port package?
> I can't find it on cran.
>
> Thanks,
> Jos

Re: Port package

Katharine Mullen
It is not an R package, but rather a collection of Fortran functions
that R uses from netlib:
http://www.netlib.org/port/

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Jos Kaefer wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I type:
> > ?nls
>
> I come across this section:
>
> algorithm: character string specifying the algorithm to use. The
>           default algorithm is a Gauss-Newton algorithm.  Other
>           possible values are '"plinear"' for the Golub-Pereyra
>           algorithm for partially linear least-squares models and
>           '"port"' for the 'nl2sol' algorithm from the Port package.
>
> The simple question is: where's the Port package?
> I can't find it on cran.
>
> Thanks,
> Jos

Re: Port package

RKoenker
A little more googling reveals:

The Port 3 Library is now available via netlib and licensing
arrangements are specified here:

        http://www.netlib.org/port/readme

On Jul 9, 2008, at 11:55 AM, roger koenker wrote:

> A more accurate wording,  I believe, would be "Port Library"  see:
>
> http://www.bell-labs.com/project/PORT/
>
> Martin  will correct me if there really is a package!!
>
> Unfortunately, the licensing link is broken on the URL above and
> it would be interesting to know what the status of licensing really
> is, since there were/are lots of useful things in this library.
>

> url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
> email    [hidden email]            Department of Economics
> vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
> fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820
>

> On Jul 9, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Jos Kaefer wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> When I type:
>>> ?nls
>>
>> I come across this section:
>>
>> algorithm: character string specifying the algorithm to use. The
>>         default algorithm is a Gauss-Newton algorithm.  Other
>>         possible values are '"plinear"' for the Golub-Pereyra
>>         algorithm for partially linear least-squares models and
>>         '"port"' for the 'nl2sol' algorithm from the Port package.
>>
>> The simple question is: where's the Port package?
>> I can't find it on cran.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jos

Re: Port package

Ben Bolker
Katharine Mullen <kate <at> few.vu.nl> writes:

> It is not an R package, but rather a collection of Fortran functions
> that R uses from netlib:
> http://www.netlib.org/port/

 Where is Martin Maechler when we need him?
"That's not a package, that's a library!"  :-)

  Ben

Re: Port package

hadley wickham
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Ben Bolker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Katharine Mullen <kate <at> few.vu.nl> writes:
>

>> It is not an R package, but rather a collection of Fortran functions
>> that R uses from netlib:
>> http://www.netlib.org/port/
>>

>  Where is Martin Maechler when we need him?
> "That's not a package, that's a library!"  :-)

You can tell it's a library because you use the function package to load it ;)

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/