Problem with Plotting in R

rsherry8

Please consider the following R statements:

     > x = seq(1:1632)
     > length( MyData$NWorth )
     [1] 1632
     > length( MyData$NWorthSm )
     [1] 1632
     > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, type="l" )
     > plot( x, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l" )
     > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l" )

All of the above statements work except for the last one. The last one
produces the following message:

     Error in plot.window(...) : invalid 'xlim' value

So I then tired this:

     > xlim1 = c(0, 5000)
     >plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l", xlim = xlim1 )

Which produced the following error message:
     Error in plot.window(...) : invalid 'ylim' value

So, I tired this:
     > ylim1 = c(0,9000)
     > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l", xlim = xlim1,
ylim = ylim1 )

Which produced the following error message:
     Error in strsplit(log, NULL) : non-character argument

I would like to know what I am doing wrong.

Thank you,
Bob

Re: Problem with Plotting in R

Michael Dewey-3
Dear Bob

We do not have your data so it is hard to be sure but plot() takes two
parameters for the data x and y so when you give it three you are
confusing it into thinking one of them is something else.

What exactly were you trying to do with the failed command?

On 18/12/2018 14:17, rsherry8 wrote:

> Please consider the following R statements:
>
>      > x = seq(1:1632)
>      > length( MyData$NWorth )
>      [1] 1632
>      > length( MyData$NWorthSm )
>      [1] 1632
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, type="l" )
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l" )
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l" )
>
> All of the above statements work except for the last one. The last one
> produces the following message:
>
>      Error in plot.window(...) : invalid 'xlim' value
>
> So I then tired this:
>
>      > xlim1 = c(0, 5000)
>      >plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l", xlim = xlim1 )
>
> Which produced the following error message:
>      Error in plot.window(...) : invalid 'ylim' value
>
> So, I tired this:
>      > ylim1 = c(0,9000)
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l", xlim = xlim1,
> ylim = ylim1 )
>
> Which produced the following error message:
>      Error in strsplit(log, NULL) : non-character argument
>
> I would like to know what I am doing wrong.
>
> Thank you,
> Bob

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Re: Problem with Plotting in R

Rui Barradas

You are calling plot.default with 4 arguments.
The first 2 are x and y.
The 3rd is type.
So MyData$NWorthSm becomes the 4th, xlim.
When you pass xlim a value, MyData$NWorthSm becomes the next one, ylim.
Etc, etc, etc.

It will throw the errors in the order of the arguments you can see in
?plot.default:

## Default S3 method:
plot(x, y = NULL, type = "p",  xlim = NULL, ylim = NULL,
      log = "", main = NULL, etc, etc, etc)

So now if you pass a log = <something>, it's the time for argument main.

Revise the reason why you are passing MyData$NWorthSm.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 14:17 de 18/12/2018, rsherry8 escreveu:

> Please consider the following R statements:
>
>      > x = seq(1:1632)
>      > length( MyData$NWorth )
>      [1] 1632
>      > length( MyData$NWorthSm )
>      [1] 1632
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, type="l" )
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l" )
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l" )
>
> All of the above statements work except for the last one. The last one
> produces the following message:
>
>      Error in plot.window(...) : invalid 'xlim' value
>
> So I then tired this:
>
>      > xlim1 = c(0, 5000)
>      >plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l", xlim = xlim1 )
>
> Which produced the following error message:
>      Error in plot.window(...) : invalid 'ylim' value
>
> So, I tired this:
>      > ylim1 = c(0,9000)
>      > plot( x, MyData$NWorth, MyData$NWorthSm, type="l", xlim = xlim1,
> ylim = ylim1 )
>
> Which produced the following error message:
>      Error in strsplit(log, NULL) : non-character argument
>
> I would like to know what I am doing wrong.
>
> Thank you,
> Bob

Re: Problem with Plotting in R

R help mailing list-2
You haven't described what you are trying to get with the command that doesn't work. My guess is that this might be what you want:

         plot( x, MyData$NWorth, type="l" )
        lines( x, MyData$NWorthSm)

However, you might also have to calculate and supply a for the ylim argument to plot().

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

On 12/18/18, 6:17 AM, "R-help on behalf of rsherry8" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Please consider the following R statements:

         > x = seq(1:1632)
         > length( MyData$NWorth )
         [1] 1632
         > length( MyData$NWorthSm )