Quantcast

Problem with greek characters in R

Threaded

Problem with greek characters in R

Dimitrios Mousenikas
Hello,

My computer functions with the version of English windows 10. The problem that I face is that when I open an R file that includes Greek characters, with the program RGui, the text that appears does not make sense. The only way the problem can be solved is by setting Greek as a default language in Windows. Although I prefer as a default language English.
I am looking forward for your response.

Thank you in advance
Dimitrios Mousenikas

Threaded

Re: Problem with greek characters in R

Jeff Newmiller
The standard response is that RStudio is not R, and has its own forum or discussion areas on stackexchange.com. R has its own mechanisms for dealing with alternate character sets, so be clear when the problem is in the processing of such code by R versus the display of input or output files associated with your use of R. Using R or RGui (that are on topic here) can help you discern where the "problem" is.

That said, Googling "RStudio character encoding" might lead to help with your immediate concern.

On March 9, 2017 2:34:40 AM PST, Dimitrios Mousenikas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My computer functions with the version of English windows 10. The
>problem that I face is that when I open an R file that includes Greek
>characters, with the program RGui, the text that appears does not make
>sense. The only way the problem can be solved is by setting Greek as a
>default language in Windows. Although I prefer as a default language
>English.
>I am looking forward for your response.
>
>Thank you in advance
>Dimitrios Mousenikas

Threaded

Re: Problem with greek characters in R

Ista Zahn
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Jeff Newmiller
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The standard response is that RStudio is not R, and has its own forum or discussion areas on stackexchange.com.

But the OP didn't mention RStudio, but rather RGui.

R has its own mechanisms for dealing with alternate character sets, so
be clear when the problem is in the processing of such code by R
versus the display of input or output files associated with your use
of R. Using R or RGui (that are on topic here) can help you discern
where the "problem" is.

Perhaps you can offer some advice in this regard, I've never been able
to figure it out. Ironically, that's one of the reasons I prefer to
use RStudio on Windows!

Best,
Ista

> That said, Googling "RStudio character encoding" might lead to help with your immediate concern.
>
> On March 9, 2017 2:34:40 AM PST, Dimitrios Mousenikas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>My computer functions with the version of English windows 10. The
>>problem that I face is that when I open an R file that includes Greek
>>characters, with the program RGui, the text that appears does not make
>>sense. The only way the problem can be solved is by setting Greek as a
>>default language in Windows. Although I prefer as a default language
>>English.
>>I am looking forward for your response.
>>
>>Thank you in advance
>>Dimitrios Mousenikas

Threaded

Re: Problem with greek characters in R

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA)
Dimitrios,

You need to help us help you. You say you have a file that has Greek characters in it that you want to "open with the program RGui".
1. You need to provide us with a sample of the problem file.  Since we are talking about text here, you can create a file with just a few lines in it that contain the problematic text.  Give the file a '.txt' extension and then you can attach that to your next post to R-help.
2. What do mean by "open the file with RGui"?  Are you trying to source the file, or open it some other way?

If you provide some sample text, and describe in more detail what you are trying to do with it, someone may be able to offer a solution.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund, PhD
Research and Data Analysis Division
Services & Enterprise Support Administration