Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

George Balas
I have a problem with R in Ubuntu 16.04. I do not know if it is mine pc or
general problem but I was not able to find solution on Internet.
First of all I can not change locale to greek by getting this message:
"In Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE", "Greek") :
  OS reports request to set locale to "Greek" cannot be honored"
Second and more serious is that I can not use some functions like
graph_from_adjacency_matrix or print_all I get these messeges:
"could not find function "graph_from_adjacency_matrix""
"could not find function "print_all"".
I am using R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer" either on rstudio
or ubuntu terminal.
On my pc I also run win 10 with the same installs and I do not have the
above problems, but I work on ubuntu and can not change Os all the time.
Please help me.

Thank you for your time,
George

Re: Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

Peter Dalgaard-2

> On 3 Nov 2017, at 23:39 , George Balas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a problem with R in Ubuntu 16.04. I do not know if it is mine pc or
> general problem but I was not able to find solution on Internet.
> First of all I can not change locale to greek by getting this message:
> "In Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE", "Greek") :
>  OS reports request to set locale to "Greek" cannot be honored"

The Greek locale is likely not called "Greek" outside of Windows. More likely "el_GR.UTF-8" or thereabouts (check your locale database, I'm on a Mac). These things are not standardized across platforms.

> Second and more serious is that I can not use some functions like
> graph_from_adjacency_matrix or print_all I get these messeges:
> "could not find function "graph_from_adjacency_matrix""
> "could not find function "print_all"".

Missing library(igraph)?

-pd

> I am using R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer" either on rstudio
> or ubuntu terminal.
> On my pc I also run win 10 with the same installs and I do not have the
> above problems, but I work on ubuntu and can not change Os all the time.
> Please help me.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> George

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

David Winsemius

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 5:09 PM, peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3 Nov 2017, at 23:39 , George Balas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a problem with R in Ubuntu 16.04. I do not know if it is mine pc or
>> general problem but I was not able to find solution on Internet.
>> First of all I can not change locale to greek by getting this message:
>> "In Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE", "Greek") :
>> OS reports request to set locale to "Greek" cannot be honored"
>
> The Greek locale is likely not called "Greek" outside of Windows. More likely "el_GR.UTF-8" or thereabouts (check your locale database, I'm on a Mac). These things are not standardized across platforms.

Also

From help(locales): Attempts to change the character set by Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE") that implies a different character set during a session may not work and are likely to lead to some confusion because it may not affect the native encoding.

>> Second and more serious is that I can not use some functions like
>> graph_from_adjacency_matrix or print_all I get these messeges:
>> "could not find function "graph_from_adjacency_matrix""
>> "could not find function "print_all"".
>
> Missing library(igraph)?
>
> -pd
>
>> I am using R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer" either on rstudio
>> or ubuntu terminal.
>> On my pc I also run win 10 with the same installs and I do not have the
>> above problems, but I work on ubuntu and can not change Os all the time.
>> Please help me.
>>
>> Thank you for your time,
>> George
>> [hidden email]
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

George Balas
-Well it seems that it is getting "el_GR.UTF-8" but still I am not able to
read files written in greek, there are only "????" instead of letters.
-Also, I forgot to mention that I do load igraph library when I try
"graph_from_adjacency_matrix".
When I check igraph in packages dialog I can not see functions with
underscores between words, only dots.

> > On Nov 3, 2017, at 5:09 PM, peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 3 Nov 2017, at 23:39 , George Balas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a problem with R in Ubuntu 16.04. I do not know if it is mine pc
> or
> >> general problem but I was not able to find solution on Internet.
> >> First of all I can not change locale to greek by getting this message:
> >> "In Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE", "Greek") :
> >> OS reports request to set locale to "Greek" cannot be honored"
> >
> > The Greek locale is likely not called "Greek" outside of Windows. More
> likely "el_GR.UTF-8" or thereabouts (check your locale database, I'm on a
> Mac). These things are not standardized across platforms.
> >

> Also
>
> From help(locales): Attempts to change the character set by
> Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE") that implies a different character set during a
> session may not work and are likely to lead to some confusion because it
> may not affect the native encoding.
>

> >> Second and more serious is that I can not use some functions like
> >> graph_from_adjacency_matrix or print_all I get these messeges:
> >> "could not find function "graph_from_adjacency_matrix""
> >> "could not find function "print_all"".
> >
> > Missing library(igraph)?
> >
> > -pd
> >
> >> I am using R version 3.4.2 (2017-09-28) -- "Short Summer" either on
> rstudio
> >> or ubuntu terminal.
> >> On my pc I also run win 10 with the same installs and I do not have the
> >> above problems, but I work on ubuntu and can not change Os all the time.
> >> Please help me.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your time,
> >> George
> >> [hidden email]
> >>
> >>      [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> posting-guide.html
> >
> > --
> > Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> > Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
> > Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
> > Phone: (+45)38153501
> > Office: A 4.23
> > Email: [hidden email]  Priv: [hidden email]

> posting-guide.html
>
> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA
>
> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Re: Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

George Balas
For anyone who sees this conversation.

There is a bug in installation of igraph in R language in Ubuntu. There is
a solution in stackoverflow. We have to use the devtools. Write this code:
install.packages("devtools")
library(devtools)
install_github("igraph/rigraph")

If there are errors installing devtools just install any package that
comments.

On Nov 5, 2017 00:07, "George Balas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -Well it seems that it is getting "el_GR.UTF-8" but still I am not able
> to read files written in greek, there are only "????" instead of letters.
> -Also, I forgot to mention that I do load igraph library when I try "graph_from_adjacency_matrix".
> When I check igraph in packages dialog I can not see functions with
> underscores between words, only dots.

>> pc or
>> >
>> > The Greek locale is likely not called "Greek" outside of Windows. More
>> likely "el_GR.UTF-8" or thereabouts (check your locale database, I'm on a
>> Mac). These things are not standardized across platforms.
>> >

>> Also
>>
>> From help(locales): Attempts to change the character set by
>> Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE") that implies a different character set during a
>> session may not work and are likely to lead to some confusion because it
>> may not affect the native encoding.

>> > Missing library(igraph)?
>> >
>> > -pd

>> rstudio
>> time.

>> ng-guide.html
>> >
>> > --
>> > Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
>> > Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
>> > Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
>> > Phone: (+45)38153501
>> > Office: A 4.23
>> > Email: [hidden email]  Priv: [hidden email]

>> ng-guide.html
>>
>> David Winsemius
>> Alameda, CA, USA
>>
>> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>>  -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Re: Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

David Winsemius

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 3:46 PM, George Balas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For anyone who sees this conversation.
>
> There is a bug in installation of igraph in R language in Ubuntu. There is
> a solution in stackoverflow. We have to use the devtools. Write this code:
> install.packages("devtools")
> library(devtools)
> install_github("igraph/rigraph")

If there is a bug in the development version of igraph (which is not really part of R but rather a contributed package) then the correct place to send a message would have been, not to rhelp, but rather to the maintainer. It would of course be necessary to say what the bug appears to be. I don't see any error message or description of a bug in this message. The package DESCRIPTION files says:

BugReports: https://github.com/igraph/igraph/issues

The github page says the proper installation sequence for the development version is:

devtools::install_github("gaborcsardi/pkgconfig")
devtools::install_github("igraph/rigraph")

Rhelp is not the correct place for pre-release bug discussion of contributed packages.

Again, the github pages suggests that you send issues to the correct mailing list: igraph-help mailing list

David.

> If there are errors installing devtools just install any package that
> comments.
>
> On Nov 5, 2017 00:07, "George Balas" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> -Well it seems that it is getting "el_GR.UTF-8" but still I am not able
>> to read files written in greek, there are only "????" instead of letters.
>> -Also, I forgot to mention that I do load igraph library when I try "graph_from_adjacency_matrix".
>> When I check igraph in packages dialog I can not see functions with
>> underscores between words, only dots.

>>> pc or

>>> likely "el_GR.UTF-8" or thereabouts (check your locale database, I'm on a
>>> Mac). These things are not standardized across platforms.
>>>>

>>> Also
>>>
>>> From help(locales): Attempts to change the character set by
>>> Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE") that implies a different character set during a
>>> session may not work and are likely to lead to some confusion because it
>>> may not affect the native encoding.

>>> rstudio
>>> time.

>>> ng-guide.html

>>> ng-guide.html
>>>
>>> David Winsemius
>>> Alameda, CA, USA
>>>
>>> 'Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.'
>>> -Gehm's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Problem with r project in ubuntu xenial

Ista Zahn
On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 6:46 PM, George Balas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For anyone who sees this conversation.
>
> There is a bug in installation of igraph in R language in Ubuntu. There is
> a solution in stackoverflow.

A link would be nice.

 We have to use the devtools. Write this code:
> install.packages("devtools")
> library(devtools)
> install_github("igraph/rigraph")

This is a temporary work-around that is only needed until igraph is
updated in CRAN. The bug report is at
https://github.com/igraph/rigraph/issues/234

> If there are errors installing devtools just install any package that
> comments.

I don't follow this part.

Best,
Ista