Question

S. Mahmoud Nasrollahi
Dear colleague
I have got a problem during working with some package in R and in
spite of trying with R help, internet and any other resources I could
not succeed. Indeed when I what to install some function like bwplot,
boxplot,  xyplot I receive this sort of messages:
 Warning in install.packages :
  package ‘xyplot’ is not available (for R version 3.5.2)
Do you know how I can solve that?

--
S. M. Nasrollahi
Postdoctoral Researcher

Re: Question

Sarah Goslee
xyplot is not a package, it is a function within the lattice package, which
should already be installed.

library(lattice) # load the package from the R library
?xyplot # look at the help for the function

The others are also functions, not packages.

Sarah

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:15 AM S. Mahmoud Nasrollahi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear colleague
> I have got a problem during working with some package in R and in
> spite of trying with R help, internet and any other resources I could
> not succeed. Indeed when I what to install some function like bwplot,
> boxplot,  xyplot I receive this sort of messages:
>  Warning in install.packages :
>   package ‘xyplot’ is not available (for R version 3.5.2)
> Do you know how I can solve that?
>

> --
> S. M. Nasrollahi
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> French National Institute for Agricultural Research
>  Unite´ Mixte de Recherches sur les Herbivores,
>  63122 St Gene`s Champanelle, France
> [hidden email]
> Tel: +9826132248082
> Fax: +9826132246752

Sarah Goslee (she/her)
http://www.sarahgoslee.com

Re: Question

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, S. Mahmoud Nasrollahi wrote:

> I have got a problem during working with some package in R and in spite of
> trying with R help, internet and any other resources I could not succeed.
> Indeed when I what to install some function like bwplot, boxplot, xyplot I
> receive this sort of messages: Warning in install.packages : package
> ‘xyplot’ is not available (for R version 3.5.2) Do you know how I can
> solve that?

   Yep. Those plots are part of the lattice package. You can install lattice
(and latticeExtra if you want) with

> installpkg("lattice")

Happy plotting,

Rich

Re: Question

Bert Gunter-2
I think it's ?install.packages

sticking things into it."

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:50 AM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, S. Mahmoud Nasrollahi wrote:
>
> > I have got a problem during working with some package in R and in spite
> of
> > trying with R help, internet and any other resources I could not succeed.
> > Indeed when I what to install some function like bwplot, boxplot, xyplot
> > receive this sort of messages: Warning in install.packages : package
> > ‘xyplot’ is not available (for R version 3.5.2) Do you know how I can
> > solve that?
>
>    Yep. Those plots are part of the lattice package. You can install
> lattice
> (and latticeExtra if you want) with
>
> > installpkg("lattice")
>
> Happy plotting,
>
> Rich

Re: Question

R help mailing list-2
Guys,

lattice is a "recommended" package, which means that it is installed by default with any standard R installation.

Thus, all that is required, as Sarah noted in an earlier reply, is either:

  library(lattice)

or

  require(lattice)

depending upon preference.

latticeExtra, on the other hand, is a third party package that would need to be installed separately, if desired.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

> On Jan 8, 2019, at 1:46 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think it's ?install.packages
>
> Bert Gunter

> sticking things into it."
>

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:50 AM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, S. Mahmoud Nasrollahi wrote:
>>
>>> I have got a problem during working with some package in R and in spite
>> of
>>> trying with R help, internet and any other resources I could not succeed.
>>> Indeed when I what to install some function like bwplot, boxplot, xyplot
>>> receive this sort of messages: Warning in install.packages : package
>>> ‘xyplot’ is not available (for R version 3.5.2) Do you know how I can
>>> solve that?
>>
>>   Yep. Those plots are part of the lattice package. You can install
>> lattice
>> (and latticeExtra if you want) with
>>
>>> installpkg("lattice")
>>
>> Happy plotting,
>>
>> Rich

Re: Question

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Bert Gunter wrote:

> I think it's ?install.packages

Bert,

   Of course it is. My apologies to the original poster.

Rich

Re: Question

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> lattice is a "recommended" package, which means that it is installed by
> default with any standard R installation.

Marc,

   Thanks for the reminder.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Question

Jeff Newmiller
Er, just keep it simple, Marc... give one option:

library(lattice)

If you _ever_ use require() without acting upon the return value then you are setting yourself or someone else up for confusing missing objects errors someday for no good reason. This _isn't_ just personal preference... by choosing to use the require function you are taking responsibility for the case where that package is missing, and by ignoring the return value you are immediately abdicating that responsibility. Let the error appear where it makes sense by using the library function in the first place.