Question

Joseph Bafumi
Hi,

Is there a way to run a multilevel model in R with an ordered response model
(either ordered logit or ordered probit)? Thank you, in advance, for any
help.

Joe

Re: Question

Spencer Graves
          Have you considered "lmer" with the mle4 and Matrix packages and
"glmmPQL" in library(MASS)?  If yes, PLEASE do read the posting guide!
"www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html", then gives us the simplest
example you can devise of what you want, explaining what you tried and
the obstacles they presented for you.

          hope this helps,
          spencer graves

Joseph Bafumi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to run a multilevel model in R with an ordered response model
> (either ordered logit or ordered probit)? Thank you, in advance, for any
> help.
>
> Joe

Re: Question

Prof Brian Ripley
I don't think any of those cover such models, which are not GLMs.

One can of course run anything in R:

Evelyn Hall: I would like to know how (if) I can extract some of the
information from the summary of my nlme.
Simon Blomberg: This is R. There is no if. Only how.
    -- Evelyn Hall and Simon `Yoda' Blomberg
       R-help (April 2005)

(from the fortunes package), but the 'how' here seems to involve a lot of
work.

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Spencer Graves wrote:

>  Have you considered "lmer" with the mle4 and Matrix packages and
> "glmmPQL" in library(MASS)?  If yes, PLEASE do read the posting guide!
> "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html", then gives us the simplest
> example you can devise of what you want, explaining what you tried and
> the obstacles they presented for you.
>
>  hope this helps,
>  spencer graves
>
> Joseph Bafumi wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to run a multilevel model in R with an ordered response model
>> (either ordered logit or ordered probit)? Thank you, in advance, for any
>> help.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Question

Spencer Graves
Dear Prof. Ripley:

          Thanks for the clarification.

          spencer graves

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> I don't think any of those cover such models, which are not GLMs.
>
> One can of course run anything in R:
>
> Evelyn Hall: I would like to know how (if) I can extract some of the
> information from the summary of my nlme.
> Simon Blomberg: This is R. There is no if. Only how.
>    -- Evelyn Hall and Simon `Yoda' Blomberg
>       R-help (April 2005)
>
> (from the fortunes package), but the 'how' here seems to involve a lot
> of work.
>
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Spencer Graves wrote:
>
>>       Have you considered "lmer" with the mle4 and Matrix packages and
>> "glmmPQL" in library(MASS)?  If yes, PLEASE do read the posting guide!
>> "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html", then gives us the simplest
>> example you can devise of what you want, explaining what you tried and
>> the obstacles they presented for you.
>>
>>       hope this helps,
>>       spencer graves
>>
>> Joseph Bafumi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to run a multilevel model in R with an ordered
>>> response model
>>> (either ordered logit or ordered probit)? Thank you, in advance, for any
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Question