R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

Atro Tossavainen-2
Hi,

I'm upgrading to R 2.2.1 and have bumped into some problems.

I have been successful with installing on x86 and PPC Linux, but am
unable to install R on Solaris 7 and on IRIX 6.5.  Configuration
and compilation go through just fine, but "make install" fails:

gmake[1]: Entering directory `/scratch/atossava/R-2.2.1/doc'
installing doc ...
../tools/install-sh: no destination specified.
../tools/install-sh: no destination specified.
../tools/install-sh: no destination specified.
gmake[1]: *** [install-sources] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/atossava/R-2.2.1/doc'
gmake: *** [install] Error 1

Running "gmake -n install" reveals this is because:

echo "installing doc ..."
/bin/ksh ../src/scripts/mkinstalldirs ""
/bin/ksh ../src/scripts/mkinstalldirs /afs/bi/v/sun4x_57/apps/stats/R/2.2.1/man/man1
for f in CRAN_mirrors.csv KEYWORDS KEYWORDS.db; do \
  ../tools/install-sh -c -m 644 ./${f} ""; \
done

Any ideas what might be causing "" to appear as the destination directory?

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
+358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
< URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

Brian Ripley
Please do not send questions to R-bugs (especially as well as to R-devel).

The thing you are getting as "" is from (see doc/Makefile)
           $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/$${f} "$(rdocdir)"; \

What is rdocdir set to in Makeconf?  It (and related quantities) should be

rhome = ${libdir}/R
rsharedir = ${rhome}/share
rincludedir = ${rhome}/include
rdocdir = ${rhome}/doc

unless you set something non-standard during configure.  (If you did not,
the code is very simple and anything else here would seem to indicate a
bug in the shell used, but please debug it.)

Solaris 7 is very old: this does work on Solaris 8 (from where I copied
the above).  You can always specify it on the make install line (as
described in the R-admin manual you were pointed to).


On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm upgrading to R 2.2.1 and have bumped into some problems.
>
> I have been successful with installing on x86 and PPC Linux, but am
> unable to install R on Solaris 7 and on IRIX 6.5.  Configuration
> and compilation go through just fine, but "make install" fails:
>
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/scratch/atossava/R-2.2.1/doc'
> installing doc ...
> ../tools/install-sh: no destination specified.
> ../tools/install-sh: no destination specified.
> ../tools/install-sh: no destination specified.
> gmake[1]: *** [install-sources] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/scratch/atossava/R-2.2.1/doc'
> gmake: *** [install] Error 1
>
> Running "gmake -n install" reveals this is because:
>
> echo "installing doc ..."
> /bin/ksh ../src/scripts/mkinstalldirs ""
> /bin/ksh ../src/scripts/mkinstalldirs /afs/bi/v/sun4x_57/apps/stats/R/2.2.1/man/man1
> for f in CRAN_mirrors.csv KEYWORDS KEYWORDS.db; do \
>  ../tools/install-sh -c -m 644 ./${f} ""; \
> done
>
> Any ideas what might be causing "" to appear as the destination directory?
>
> --
> Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
> Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
> +358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
> < URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>
>

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

Atro Tossavainen
In reply to this post by Atro Tossavainen-2
Dear Prof Ripley,

Thank you for your quick response!

> Please do not send questions to R-bugs (especially as well as to R-devel).

Sorry.  I took the addresses from a response to an older question that
I had received from Kurt Hornik.  That message had been cc'd to both.

> The thing you are getting as "" is from (see doc/Makefile)
>            $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/$${f} "$(rdocdir)"; \
>
> What is rdocdir set to in Makeconf?  It (and related quantities) should be
>
> rhome = ${libdir}/R
> rsharedir = ${rhome}/share
> rincludedir = ${rhome}/include
> rdocdir = ${rhome}/doc

rhome = ${libdir}/R
rsharedir =
rincludedir =
rdocdir =

(I find this is the case both on Solaris 7 and on IRIX 6.5.)

> unless you set something non-standard during configure.  (If you did not,
> the code is very simple and anything else here would seem to indicate a
> bug in the shell used, but please debug it.)

The only changes to "./configure" that I made were to set the relevant
environment variables to pick the native compilers instead of gcc, and
--prefix=/afs/bi/v/{systemtype}/apps/stats/R/2.2.1 (for literal values
of system type; sgi_65, sun4x_57).

The shell I performed "configure" under is bash 2.05, which is
admittedly old too.  It hasn't caused any such problems before, though,
and I have built a very large amount of autoconfigured software for
these platforms with it.

> Solaris 7 is very old: this does work on Solaris 8 (from where I copied
> the above).

IRIX 6.5 is current and displays the same issue.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  If there is anything I can
do to help debug the problem further, please let me know.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
+358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
< URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

Brian Ripley
Thank you for the reply.  Setting these variables explicitly on the make
install line should help.

I have a guess at the shell problem.  Configure contains

if test -z ${rdocdir}; then
  rdocdir='${rhome}/doc'
fi

and maybe test -z is broken.  Does it help to add quotes as in

if test -z "${rdocdir}"; then

?  (I have a recollection of such problems under Solaris 7 when we ran
it, and a recollection that autoconf picks ksh as its shell on Solaris.)

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> Dear Prof Ripley,
>
> Thank you for your quick response!
>
> > Please do not send questions to R-bugs (especially as well as to R-devel).
>
> Sorry.  I took the addresses from a response to an older question that
> I had received from Kurt Hornik.  That message had been cc'd to both.
>
> > The thing you are getting as "" is from (see doc/Makefile)
> >            $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/$${f} "$(rdocdir)"; \
> >
> > What is rdocdir set to in Makeconf?  It (and related quantities) should be
> >
> > rhome = ${libdir}/R
> > rsharedir = ${rhome}/share
> > rincludedir = ${rhome}/include
> > rdocdir = ${rhome}/doc
>
> rhome = ${libdir}/R
> rsharedir =
> rincludedir =
> rdocdir =
>
> (I find this is the case both on Solaris 7 and on IRIX 6.5.)
>
> > unless you set something non-standard during configure.  (If you did not,
> > the code is very simple and anything else here would seem to indicate a
> > bug in the shell used, but please debug it.)
>
> The only changes to "./configure" that I made were to set the relevant
> environment variables to pick the native compilers instead of gcc, and
> --prefix=/afs/bi/v/{systemtype}/apps/stats/R/2.2.1 (for literal values
> of system type; sgi_65, sun4x_57).
>
> The shell I performed "configure" under is bash 2.05, which is
> admittedly old too.  It hasn't caused any such problems before, though,
> and I have built a very large amount of autoconfigured software for
> these platforms with it.
>
> > Solaris 7 is very old: this does work on Solaris 8 (from where I copied
> > the above).
>
> IRIX 6.5 is current and displays the same issue.
>
> Thank you for your help and suggestions.  If there is anything I can
> do to help debug the problem further, please let me know.
>
> --
> Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
> Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
> +358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
> < URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

Atro Tossavainen
Dear Prof Ripley,

> Thank you for the reply.  Setting these variables explicitly on the make
> install line should help.

I just fixed them in Makeconf explicitly and it's OK now.

> I have a guess at the shell problem.  Configure contains
>
> if test -z ${rdocdir}; then
>   rdocdir='${rhome}/doc'
> fi
>
> and maybe test -z is broken.  Does it help to add quotes as in
>
> if test -z "${rdocdir}"; then

Yes, that's the trick.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
+358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
< URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R 2.2.1 installation trouble on SGI/Sun (PR#8575)

Brian Ripley
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> Dear Prof Ripley,
>
> > Thank you for the reply.  Setting these variables explicitly on the make
> > install line should help.
>
> I just fixed them in Makeconf explicitly and it's OK now.
>
> > I have a guess at the shell problem.  Configure contains
> >
> > if test -z ${rdocdir}; then
> >   rdocdir='${rhome}/doc'
> > fi
> >
> > and maybe test -z is broken.  Does it help to add quotes as in
> >
> > if test -z "${rdocdir}"; then
>
> Yes, that's the trick.

We'll alter the script in that case.  Thanks for testing the fix.

>
> --
> Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
> Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
> +358-9-19158939  UNIX Dinosaur     / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
> < URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>
>

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272860 (secr)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel