R GUI's on a Mac?

Bert Gunter
Folks:

A question for R users on Macs. AFAIK,  R's Tcl/TK tools allow one to build
GUI interfaces to R's functionality across all platforms. My question: How
well do the TK widget tools work on a Mac? More specifically, is there any
extra difficulty or complication in porting such applications to a Mac? Is
there any special requirement for the Mac OS or version? Any glitches that
should give one pause?

Please reply privately, as this is not of general interest to the list. Many
thanks.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech

Re: R GUI's on a Mac?

Philippe Grosjean
Anyone who responds to Berton, please, CC me: I am also interested.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean

Berton Gunter wrote:

> Folks:
>
> A question for R users on Macs. AFAIK,  R's Tcl/TK tools allow one to build
> GUI interfaces to R's functionality across all platforms. My question: How
> well do the TK widget tools work on a Mac? More specifically, is there any
> extra difficulty or complication in porting such applications to a Mac? Is
> there any special requirement for the Mac OS or version? Any glitches that
> should give one pause?
>
> Please reply privately, as this is not of general interest to the list. Many
> thanks.
>
> -- Bert Gunter
> Genentech

Re: R GUI's on a Mac?

Martin Maechler

    PhGr> Anyone who responds to Berton, please, CC me: I am
    PhGr> also interested.  Best,

(but then you do read R-help, and I disagree with Berton that
 this should be answered in private only)

    PhGr> Berton Gunter wrote:
    >> Folks:
    >>
    >> A question for R users on Macs. AFAIK, R's Tcl/TK tools
    >> allow one to build GUI interfaces to R's functionality
    >> across all platforms. My question: How well do the TK
    >> widget tools work on a Mac? More specifically, is there
    >> any extra difficulty or complication in porting such
    >> applications to a Mac? Is there any special requirement
    >> for the Mac OS or version? Any glitches that should give
    >> one pause?

I'm really not the expert here,
but John Fox'  RCmdr  relies on R's tcltk package,
and it's true that people can well install R on the Mac without
Tcl/Tk capabilities --- just seen a month ago in a course we taught.

For this reason, John has added instructions (based on help from
Rob Goedman) on how to install things on the Mac :
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html

I think for Berton's question, the only necessary step is

 JFox>>> 1) Install X11.app from Apple Install disks (this is a
 JFox>>> must if you want to use any tcltk-based package with R.app).

    >> Please reply privately, as this is not of general
    >> interest to the list. Many thanks.

I disagree a bit and hence reply to R-help.

    >> -- Bert Gunter Genentech

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

Re: R GUI's on a Mac?

Rob Goedman
Hi,

On Mar 14, 2006, at 3:05 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

> I think for Berton's question, the only necessary step is
>
>  JFox>>> 1) Install X11.app from Apple Install disks (this is a
>  JFox>>> must if you want to use any tcltk-based package with R.app).

The initial step is to make sure that the tcl/tk link is installed
while installing
R.app on Mac OS. This is possible during the 4th step of installing
R.app
(select the Customize button that shows up in the lower left corner
of the
installer window). I typically suggest folks load Fortran as well at
that point,
same customize screen.

Regards,
Rob

Re: R GUI's on a Mac? -- Thanks

Bert Gunter
My thanks to all who replied. Your advice and links were very helpful.

Kind regards,

-- Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech