Quantcast

[R] Hmisc or Lattice plot with error bars, Depth (independent variable) on Y axis

[R] Hmisc or Lattice plot with error bars, Depth (independent variable) on Y axis

Mike Bock
I am trying to create some plots of concentration versus depth.  I want Depth on the Y axis and the concentrations on the X axis. I also need to plot error bars.

The xYplot function in Hmisc is very nearly ideal but I have to put depth on the x-axis to get it to work.  When I transpose the X and Y axes in the xYplot command, the error bars disappear (no surprise given the help file).  It there a way to get the plot command to flip the axes? That would be ideal as I could use the grouping functions in xYplot and save a bunch of work.

If no such command exists any other ideas?

I looked at the Dotplot command but the depths are not evenly spaced so I don't think that will work.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Michael J Bock, PhD
ENVIRON International Corp.

This message contains information that may be confidential, ...{{dropped}}

Re: [R] Hmisc or Lattice plot with error bars, Depth (independent variable) on Y axis

Frank Harrell
Mike Bock wrote:

> I am trying to create some plots of concentration versus depth.  I want Depth on the Y axis and the concentrations on the X axis. I also need to plot error bars.
>
> The xYplot function in Hmisc is very nearly ideal but I have to put depth on the x-axis to get it to work.  When I transpose the X and Y axes in the xYplot command, the error bars disappear (no surprise given the help file).  It there a way to get the plot command to flip the axes? That would be ideal as I could use the grouping functions in xYplot and save a bunch of work.
>
> If no such command exists any other ideas?
>
> I looked at the Dotplot command but the depths are not evenly spaced so I don't think that will work.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mike
>
> Michael J Bock, PhD
> ENVIRON International Corp.

xYplot only supports vertical error bars
Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell

Re: [R] Hmisc or Lattice plot with error bars, Depth (independent variable) on Y axis

Deepayan Sarkar
On 10/30/06, Mike Bock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to create some plots of concentration versus depth.  I want Depth on the Y axis and the concentrations on the X axis. I also need to plot error bars.
>
> The xYplot function in Hmisc is very nearly ideal but I have to put depth on the x-axis to get it to work.  When I transpose the X and Y axes in the xYplot command, the error bars disappear (no surprise given the help file).  It there a way to get the plot command to flip the axes? That would be ideal as I could use the grouping functions in xYplot and save a bunch of work.
>
> If no such command exists any other ideas?

See

demo(intervals)

The untruncated code can be seen with

file.show(system.file("demo/intervals.R", package = "lattice"))

There was a recent thread dealing with extensions (grouping and switching axes):

[1] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-October/114883.html

-Deepayan

Re: [R] Hmisc or Lattice plot with error bars, Depth (independent variable) on Y axis

Mike Bock
I just  discovered that using the xYplot (Hmisc) and rotating the grid
viewport (and the labels etc) given me exactly what I need. I wish I had
thought of that much sooner....