[R] Installing a package - and making it work?

[R] Installing a package - and making it work?

Hvidberg, Martin
Dear list

- Propoerly a beginner question, so bare with my frustration...

I tried install the 'shapefiles' package into R 2.4.0 but it seems that the install had little effect...

                > install.packages(c("shapefiles"))
                --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
                trying URL 'http://cran.dk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/shapefiles_0.5.zip'
                Content type 'application/zip' length 42335 bytes
                opened URL
                downloaded 41Kb
                package 'shapefiles' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
                The downloaded packages are in
                        C:\TEMP\RtmpMz5Pqb\downloaded_packages
                updating HTML package descriptions
                >  dbf <- read.dbf("test.dbf")
                Error: could not find function "read.dbf"

                Note thet the last line contains an error.

Is the package installed or not?
How do I get access to use the functionality it offers??

:-? Martin Hvidberg

Re: [R] Installing a package - and making it work?

Torsten Hothorn

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Hvidberg, Martin wrote:

> Dear list
>
> - Propoerly a beginner question, so bare with my frustration...
>
> I tried install the 'shapefiles' package into R 2.4.0 but it seems that the install had little effect...
>

> > install.packages(c("shapefiles"))
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> trying URL 'http://cran.dk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/shapefiles_0.5.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 42335 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 41Kb
> package 'shapefiles' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> The downloaded packages are in
>        C:\TEMP\RtmpMz5Pqb\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions

library("shapefiles")

> >  dbf <- read.dbf("test.dbf")
> Error: could not find function "read.dbf"
> >

> Note thet the last line contains an error.
>

> Is the package installed or not?

yes. The book (package) is in the library (is is installed). But you need
to take it from the shelf and open it to read (load it into R via
`library("<pkgname>")').

Best wishes,

Torsten

> How do I get access to use the functionality it offers??
>
> :-? Martin Hvidberg

Re: [R] Installing a package - and making it work?

Roger Bivand
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Hvidberg, Martin wrote:

> Dear list
>
> - Propoerly a beginner question, so bare with my frustration...

Yes, and posting to R-help three minutes after posting to R-sig-geo, the
correct list - raises the question about who's time is more important,
doesn't it?

What does help.search("read.dbf") tell you?

(hint: read.dbf() in shapefiles calls read.dbf() in the recommended
"foreign" package, which is certainly already present in your (unstated)
Windows binary R 2.4.0 installation.)

> I tried install the 'shapefiles' package into R 2.4.0 but it seems that the install had little effect...
>

> > install.packages(c("shapefiles"))
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> trying URL 'http://cran.dk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/shapefiles_0.5.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 42335 bytes
> opened URL
> downloaded 41Kb
> package 'shapefiles' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> The downloaded packages are in
>        C:\TEMP\RtmpMz5Pqb\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
> >  dbf <- read.dbf("test.dbf")
> Error: could not find function "read.dbf"
> >

> Note thet the last line contains an error.
>

> Is the package installed or not?
> How do I get access to use the functionality it offers??
>
> :-? Martin Hvidberg

Roger Bivand
e-mail: [hidden email]

Roger Bivand
Department of Economics
NHH Norwegian School of Economics
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Torsten Hothorn wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Hvidberg, Martin wrote:
>
> > Dear list
> >
> > - Propoerly a beginner question, so bare with my frustration...
> >
> > I tried install the 'shapefiles' package into R 2.4.0 but it seems that the install had little effect...
> >

> > > install.packages(c("shapefiles"))
> > --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> > trying URL 'http://cran.dk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/shapefiles_0.5.zip'
> > Content type 'application/zip' length 42335 bytes
> > opened URL
> > downloaded 41Kb
> > package 'shapefiles' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> > The downloaded packages are in
> >        C:\TEMP\RtmpMz5Pqb\downloaded_packages
> > updating HTML package descriptions
>
> library("shapefiles")
>
> > >  dbf <- read.dbf("test.dbf")
> > Error: could not find function "read.dbf"
> > >

> > Note thet the last line contains an error.
> >

> > Is the package installed or not?
>
> yes. The book (package) is in the library (is is installed). But you need
> to take it from the shelf and open it to read (load it into R via
> `library("<pkgname>")').

Yes, rather a FAQ, and certainly the cause of the questioner's problem.
Perhaps reading sections 5.2 and 5.3 of the R FAQ? Or looking at the
Windows Packages menu a bit more carefully? Reading what sessionInfo()
says?

Roger