R_LIBS_USER on Ubuntu 16.04

Threaded

R_LIBS_USER on Ubuntu 16.04

sluedtke
Dear all,

the recent update to R-3.4.1 kind of screwed the path to the libraries
installed on a user basis.

The previous version of the file /etc/R/Renviron had the following line
activated:

R_LIBS_USER=${R_LIBS_USER-'~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.4'}

This one is commented in the current one which means  that the path to the
libraries installed previously is not found. I never touched this file before.

Was that on purpose or did that happen accidentally?

Cheers,

STefan

Threaded

Re: R_LIBS_USER on Ubuntu 16.04

Ista Zahn
Hi Stefan,

This is a packaging issue, not a change in the R source code. Further,
it has already been discussed on R-sig-debian -- see
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2017-July/thread.html

Best,
Ista

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Stefan Lüdtke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> the recent update to R-3.4.1 kind of screwed the path to the libraries
> installed on a user basis.
>
> The previous version of the file /etc/R/Renviron had the following line
> activated:
>
> R_LIBS_USER=${R_LIBS_USER-'~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.4'}
>
> This one is commented in the current one which means  that the path to the
> libraries installed previously is not found. I never touched this file before.
>
> Was that on purpose or did that happen accidentally?
>
> Cheers,
>
> STefan
Threaded

Re: R_LIBS_USER on Ubuntu 16.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 3 July 2017 at 15:35, Stefan Lüdtke wrote:
| the recent update to R-3.4.1 kind of screwed the path to the libraries
| installed on a user basis.
|
| The previous version of the file /etc/R/Renviron had the following line
| activated:
|
| R_LIBS_USER=${R_LIBS_USER-'~/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.4'}
|
| This one is commented in the current one which means  that the path to the
| libraries installed previously is not found. I never touched this file before.
|
| Was that on purpose or did that happen accidentally?

i)   Wrong venue. Discussion of this should be on r-sig-debian.

ii)  On purpose. I have explained the rationale there (ie r-sig-debian) as
     well as this Debian bug report:  https://bugs.debian.org/866768

iii) Easiest fix: Remove _one_ character, the '#' on line 43 of file
     /etc/R/Renviron

iv)  "Correct" fix is the determine a use policy for directory
     /usr/local/lib/R/site-library -- at work several of us are in a shared
     group and you can use 'staff' or 'adm'.  On my laptop I just give the
     directory my own group.

Dirk, at DSC preceding useR! 2017

Threaded

Re: R_LIBS_USER on Ubuntu 16.04

Henrik Bengtsson-5
Users without privileges to fix this themselves can add the following
(verbatim) to their ~/.Renviron:

R_LIBS_USER=~/R/%p-library/%v

No need to update when R is updated. For details on the above format,
see help(".libPaths").

/Henrik