[R] Problem loading SpareM package

Coomaren Vencatasawmy
Hi,

I have just installed R 2.4.0 and when I try to load SpareseM, I get the following error message

library(SparseM)
Package SparseM (0.71) loaded.  To cite, see citation("SparseM")
Error in loadNamespace(package, c(which.lib.loc, lib.loc), keep.source = keep.source) :
        in 'SparseM' methods specified for export, but none defined: as.matrix.csr, as.matrix.csc, as.matrix.ssr, as.matrix.ssc, as.matrix.coo, as.matrix, t, coerce, dim, diff, diag, diag<-, det, norm, chol, backsolve, solve, model.matrix, model.response, %*%, %x%, image
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'SparseM'

I have contacted the package maintainers and they couldn't be of any help.

I do not recall getting this error in older R versions.

Regards

Coomaren

Re: [R] Problem loading SpareM package

Richard M. Heiberger
I have been getting a similar error when I compile my own package.
The message says the problem is in the "methods" package which is
part of R.

* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... WARNING
Error in get(cname, where) : recursive default argument reference
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'methods'
Execution halted
See section 'Generic functions and methods' of the 'Writing R Extensions'
manual.
* checking replacement functions ... OK
* checking foreign function calls ... WARNING
Error in get(cname, where) : recursive default argument reference
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'methods'
Execution halted
See the chapter 'System and foreign language interfaces' of the 'Writing R
Extensions' manual.
* checking R code for possible problems ... OK
* checking Rd files ... OK
* checking Rd cross-references ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... OK
* checking for code/documentation mismatches ... WARNING
Error in get(cname, where) : recursive default argument reference
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'methods'
Execution halted

In a running R session, I tried to detach "methods" and then bring it back
with the following message

> search()
 [1] ".GlobalEnv"        "package:HH"        "package:multcomp"
 [4] "package:mvtnorm"   "package:grid"      "package:lattice"
 [7] "package:methods"   "package:stats"     "package:graphics"
[10] "package:grDevices" "package:utils"     "package:datasets"
[13] "Autoloads"         "package:base"
> detach(7)
> library(methods)
Error in identical(pkg, value@package) : formal classes cannot be used without the methods package
Error: .onAttach failed in 'attachNamespace'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'methods'

Re: [R] Problem loading SpareM package

Roger Bivand
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Coomaren Vencatasawmy wrote:

> Hi,
>  I have just installed R 2.4.0 and when I try to load SpareseM, I get
> the following error message
>
> library(SparseM)
> Package SparseM (0.71) loaded.  To cite, see citation("SparseM")
> Error in loadNamespace(package, c(which.lib.loc, lib.loc), keep.source = keep.source) :
>         in 'SparseM' methods specified for export, but none defined: as.matrix.csr, as.matrix.csc, as.matrix.ssr, as.matrix.ssc, as.matrix.coo, as.matrix, t, coerce, dim, diff, diag, diag<-, det, norm, chol, backsolve, solve, model.matrix, model.response, %*%, %x%, image
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'SparseM'

Please re-install the package. All contributed packages using new-style
classes need to be re-installed because the internal representation of
such classes and methods has changed, see CHANGES TO S4 METHODS in NEWS.
Doing:

update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

will check your libraries for packages built under previous releases and
replace them with ones built for the platform release.

> I have contacted the package maintainers and they couldn't be of any help.
>
> I do not recall getting this error in older R versions.
>
> Regards
>
> Coomaren

Roger Bivand
e-mail: [hidden email]

Roger Bivand
Department of Economics
NHH Norwegian School of Economics
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway

Re: [R] Problem loading SpareM package

RKoenker

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    [hidden email]            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820