Quantcast

[R] Splitting criterion in tree and rpart

[R] Splitting criterion in tree and rpart

Paolo Radaelli
Dear all,
    I'm interested in fitting a classification tree by using a user-specified splitting criterion. If I am right,  Tree package allows to use only "deviance" or "gini" while rpart package offers  "anova", "poisson", "class" or "exp". and tries to make an intelligent guess if method is missing.
I also found that, in rpart, method can be a list of functions named init, split and eval but I really don't know how can I do it.  Does someone can suggest me some documentation I can have a look do define my splitting criterion and pass it to rpart ?
Thanks
Paolo

Paolo Radaelli
Dipartimento di Metodi Quantitativi per le Scienze Economiche ed Aziendali
Facoltà di Economia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
e-mail [hidden email]

Re: [R] Splitting criterion in tree and rpart

henrigel
Datum: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:54:38 +0100
Von: "Paolo Radaelli" <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [R] Splitting criterion in tree and rpart

> Dear all,
>     I'm interested in fitting a classification tree by using a
> user-specified splitting criterion. If I am right,  Tree package allows to use only
> "deviance" or "gini" while rpart package offers  "anova", "poisson", "class"
> or "exp". and tries to make an intelligent guess if method is missing.

"anova", ... are not splitting criteria, but the kind of tree you want to construct, which depends on the dependent variable of your data.

> I also found that, in rpart, method can be a list of functions named init,
> split and eval but I really don't know how can I do it.  Does someone can
> suggest me some documentation I can have a look do define my splitting
> criterion and pass it to rpart ?

Here you can find an Technical Report that might help you:
http://www.mayo.edu/hsr/techrpt/61.pdf

Henri