R and Power Point

Erin Hodgess
Dear R People:

I'm using R in a time series class.  This class is being
broadcast live to 2 remote sites via closed circuit TV.

My people at the remote sites are having a terrible time
seeing the computer screen as it is broadcast(resolution issues).  I have
decided to put together Power Point slides for the teaching.

I am currently saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them
into PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there
might be a simpler method.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the Power Point, please?

Thanks so much!
R Version 2.2.1 Windows
Sincerely,
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor
Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: R and Power Point

Randall C Johnson [Contr.]
Hello Erin,
Have you tried changing the font to a large, bold face font in the GUI
preferences? This may take care of the resolution issues without needing to
use power point, and give you the flexibility of a live R session.

Best,
Randy

On 2/14/06 1:46 AM, "Erin Hodgess" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R People:
>
> I'm using R in a time series class.  This class is being
> broadcast live to 2 remote sites via closed circuit TV.
>
> My people at the remote sites are having a terrible time
> seeing the computer screen as it is broadcast(resolution issues).  I have
> decided to put together Power Point slides for the teaching.
>
> I am currently saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them
> into PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there
> might be a simpler method.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the Power Point, please?
>
> Thanks so much!
> R Version 2.2.1 Windows
> Sincerely,
> Erin Hodgess
> Associate Professor
> Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
> University of Houston - Downtown
> mailto: [hidden email]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Randall C Johnson
Bioinformatics Analyst
SAIC-Frederick, Inc (Contractor)
Laboratory of Genomic Diversity
NCI-Frederick, P.O. Box B
Bldg 560, Rm 11-85
Frederick, MD 21702
Phone: (301) 846-1304
Fax: (301) 846-1686

Re: R and Power Point

Michael Kubovy
On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> I'm using R in a time series class. ... I have decided to put
> together Power Point slides for the teaching. ... I am currently
> saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them into
> PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there might be a
> simpler method.

Hi Erin,

For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access R.
The results are legible and attractive. The method is not simple at
first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls and Sweave.
But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.

I'd be happy to share templates.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/

Re: R and Power Point

Duncan Murdoch
On 2/14/2006 9:08 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>> I'm using R in a time series class. ... I have decided to put
>> together Power Point slides for the teaching. ... I am currently
>> saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them into
>> PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there might be a
>> simpler method.
>
> Hi Erin,
>
> For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access R.
> The results are legible and attractive. The method is not simple at
> first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls and Sweave.
> But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.
>
> I'd be happy to share templates.

Please put some up on the web somewhere!  I'm just learning beamer, and
don't need it for R right now, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Duncan Murdoch

P.S.  How do I add page numbers to slides?  I see in the manual a
section called "The Headline and Footline" that apparently tells me how
to do it using an option "[page number]", but I don't see where to put that.

Re: R and Power Point

Earl F. Glynn
"Erin Hodgess" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I am currently saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them
> into PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there
> might be a simpler method.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the Power Point, please?

Instead of saving to a file first, have you tried cutting from R and pasting
directly to PowerPoint?

File | Copy to Clipboard | As a Metafile

Paste onto PowerPoint page

In PowerPoint, the graphic has no background.  Set a background color (if
desired):

Right click on graphic | Format Picture | Colors and Lines | Fill | Change
from "No Fill" to white, or desired background color

Sometimes resizing even with a metafile is a problem in PowerPoint (or
Word).  Drawing the "right" size in R before cutting and pasting often
solves that problem.

For some very complicated graphics (e.g., a large heatmap), use Copy to
Clipboard | As a Bitmap to avoid delays in redrawing the graphic whenever
the page is shown.

efg

Re: R and Power Point

Mike Prager
Erin,

 From an Rgui graphics window (windows() device), Ctrl-W will save the
current graph to the clipboard as a metafile; Ctrl-C will save as a
bitmap.  In PPt, Ctrl-V will paste either into a blank spot on a slide.

The metafile is a Windows vector spec that will be sharper and smaller.
However, I have had trouble when viewing them on different PCs with
different fonts installed.  Bitmaps will get around that but have all
the usual limitations of ... bitmaps.

MHP

Erin Hodgess wrote on 2/14/2006 1:46 AM:

> Dear R People:
>
> I'm using R in a time series class.  This class is being
> broadcast live to 2 remote sites via closed circuit TV.
>
> My people at the remote sites are having a terrible time
> seeing the computer screen as it is broadcast(resolution issues).  I have
> decided to put together Power Point slides for the teaching.
>
> I am currently saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them
> into PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there
> might be a simpler method.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the Power Point, please?
>
> Thanks so much!
> R Version 2.2.1 Windows
> Sincerely,
> Erin Hodgess
> Associate Professor
> Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
> University of Houston - Downtown
> mailto: [hidden email]

Michael H. Prager, Ph.D.
Population Dynamics Team
NOAA Center for Coastal Habitat and Fisheries Research
NMFS Southeast Fisheries Science Center
Beaufort, North Carolina  28516  USA
http://shrimp.ccfhrb.noaa.gov/~mprager/

Re: R and Power Point

Michael Kubovy
Hi Duncan,

On Feb 14, 2006, at 9:26 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 2/14/2006 9:08 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>> On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>>> I'm using R in a time series class. ... I have decided to put
>>> together Power Point slides for the teaching. ... I am currently
>>> saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them into
>>> PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there might be a
>>> simpler method.
>> Hi Erin,
>> For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access
>> R.  The results are legible and attractive. The method is not
>> simple at  first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls
>> and Sweave.  But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.
>> I'd be happy to share templates.
>
> Please put some up on the web somewhere!  I'm just learning beamer,
> and don't need it for R right now, but I'm sure I will eventually.

I'll do so soon, and let the list know. Before that, please ask, and
I'll send you the .Rnw and .tex files.

> P.S.  How do I add page numbers to slides?  I see in the manual a
> section called "The Headline and Footline" that apparently tells me
> how to do it using an option "[page number]", but I don't see where
> to put that.

\setbeamertemplate{footline}[page number]

This works, but has side effects on the appearance of my theme (I use
Warsaw) that I don't know yet how to deal with.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/

Re: R and Power Point

Henrik Bengtsson-2
On 2/14/06, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/14/2006 9:08 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> >> I'm using R in a time series class. ... I have decided to put
> >> together Power Point slides for the teaching. ... I am currently
> >> saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them into
> >> PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there might be a
> >> simpler method.
> >
> > Hi Erin,
> >
> > For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access R.
> > The results are legible and attractive. The method is not simple at
> > first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls and Sweave.
> > But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.
> >
> > I'd be happy to share templates.
>
> Please put some up on the web somewhere!  I'm just learning beamer, and
> don't need it for R right now, but I'm sure I will eventually.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> P.S.  How do I add page numbers to slides?  I see in the manual a
> section called "The Headline and Footline" that apparently tells me how
> to do it using an option "[page number]", but I don't see where to put that.

A "ten second - I have to run - cross my fingers that I'm correct"
reply: one way is to use pre-defined templates. Try to add

\useoutertheme{infolines}

which should give you a line of author, short title, date, and *frame* number.

/Henrik

Re: R and Power Point

Duncan Murdoch
On 2/14/2006 11:12 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> On 2/14/06, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Erin,
>> >
>> > For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access R.
>> > The results are legible and attractive. The method is not simple at
>> > first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls and Sweave.
>> > But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.
>> >
>> > I'd be happy to share templates.
>>
>> Please put some up on the web somewhere!  I'm just learning beamer, and
>> don't need it for R right now, but I'm sure I will eventually.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> P.S.  How do I add page numbers to slides?  I see in the manual a
>> section called "The Headline and Footline" that apparently tells me how
>> to do it using an option "[page number]", but I don't see where to put that.
>
> A "ten second - I have to run - cross my fingers that I'm correct"
> reply: one way is to use pre-defined templates. Try to add
>
> \useoutertheme{infolines}
>
> which should give you a line of author, short title, date, and *frame* number.

Thanks.  That gives a bit more than I want, but it gives me some leads
to go fixing things...

Re: R and Power Point

Terry W. Schulz
Erin,
Another option.  I'm saving R screens as postscript files, opening them
in Ghostview and copying and pasting to blank slides in Powerpoint.
I can't detect any deterioration in quality.  Convenient when you have a
lot of slides to make in a hurry.  Ghostview and
Ghostscript (required to run Ghostview) are freeware on the web.

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 2/14/2006 9:08 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>> On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using R in a time series class. ... I have decided to put
>>> together Power Point slides for the teaching. ... I am currently
>>> saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them into
>>> PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there might be a
>>> simpler method.
>>>
>> Hi Erin,
>>
>> For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access R.
>> The results are legible and attractive. The method is not simple at
>> first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls and Sweave.
>> But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.
>>
>> I'd be happy to share templates.
>>

> Please put some up on the web somewhere!  I'm just learning beamer, and
> don't need it for R right now, but I'm sure I will eventually.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>
> P.S.  How do I add page numbers to slides?  I see in the manual a
> section called "The Headline and Footline" that apparently tells me how
> to do it using an option "[page number]", but I don't see where to put that.

Terry W. Schulz
Applied Statistician
1218 Pomegranate Lane
Golden, CO 80401

[hidden email]
(303) 526-1461

Re: R and Power Point

Deepayan Sarkar
On 2/14/06, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/14/2006 9:08 AM, Michael Kubovy wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> >> I'm using R in a time series class. ... I have decided to put
> >> together Power Point slides for the teaching. ... I am currently
> >> saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them into
> >> PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there might be a
> >> simpler method.
> >
> > Hi Erin,
> >
> > For presentations I use LaTeX with beamer.cls and Sweave to access R.
> > The results are legible and attractive. The method is not simple at
> > first, since you must understand how to use beamer.cls and Sweave.
> > But once you're in production mode, it's a delight.
> >
> > I'd be happy to share templates.
>
> Please put some up on the web somewhere!  I'm just learning beamer, and
> don't need it for R right now, but I'm sure I will eventually.

I recently packaged up a small example for someone else; it's still
available at

http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/R/gridbasics.zip

YMMV.

Deepayan

Re: R and Power Point

Michael Kubovy
Dear r-helpers,

I've had several request for templates using Sweave with R and the
LaTeX beamer.cls.

They are now available at
http://kubovylab.psyc.virginia.edu/index.php/TeX_Templates
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS: P.O.Box 400400 Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels: Room 102 Gilmer Hall
                McCormick Road Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office: B011 +1-434-982-4729
Lab: B019 +1-434-982-4751
Fax: +1-434-982-4766
WWW: http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/