R and Supervised learning

lucameyer
Hi,

I am currently find myself selecting manually amoungts several hundreds
Google Alerts (GA) texts those that are indeed relevant for my research vs
those which are not (despite they are triggered by some relevant seach
keywords).

Basically each week I get several hundreds GA email such as:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7rp0ez1tamq001/Alerte%20Google%C2%A0-%20laitier%20-%20lucam1968%40gmail.com%20-%20Gmail.pdf?dl=0

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ubx5enw6tc90hj/Google%20Alert%20-%20latte%20-%20lucam1968%40gmail.com%20-%20Gmail.pdf?dl=0

From such emails I create a file such as:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5yqcsxp1zcmnhc/test_sample.xlsx?dl=0

And this is really becoming a time consuming procedure, hence my decision
to try appling artificial intelligence solutions to such a case.

What I would really need are 2 separate steps:

(1) A procedure that reads the GA email and creates a file such as the
excel I have shared here (only first 3 columns)

(2) Some sort of supervised learning algorithm that can learn by example
from my choices and decide on my behalf (see column 4 in the attached
file). That is: taking the output from step (1) above I can classify a few
hundreds cases and then let the algorithm learn and classify
future/additional data. I plan to regularly review such a classification,
correct missclassifications and train the algorithm again with the
objective to improve its ability to correctly classify the GA texts.

Is my explanation clear enought? Can all the above be done within R? If so,
is there any package/procedure I should be using?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion you might have.

Luca

Mr. Luca Meyer
www.lucameyer.com

Re: R and Supervised learning

Bert Gunter-2
Luca:

1. We are not a consulting service. We *help* with R pogramming issues.
Users are typically expected to make an effort by providing R code and, if
appropriate, small data sets that illustrate their difficulties.

2. SEARCH! e.g. on "text processing R" or some such; or try Rseek.org with
such searches. R has extensive text processing capabilities, e.g. via
regex's.

3. "Supervised Learning algorithm" is far too vague to be useful.

4. See this CRAN task view:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MachineLearning.html

4. The answer to your query is almost certainly yes, but you may have to do
some reading to clarify your thinking. As this involves primarily
statistical issues, you may wish to post on a statistical site like
http://stats.stackexchange.com/  to get advice. R-help site helps with R
programming primarily, not statistical methodology (although they do
sometimes intersect).

Cheers,
Bert

Re: R and Supervised learning

lucameyer
Hi Bert,

Thank you for your useful suggestions I will follow them and come back to
this list with any specific R code issue I might have.

Kind regards,

Luca

> Luca:
>
> 1. We are not a consulting service. We *help* with R pogramming issues.
> Users are typically expected to make an effort by providing R code and, if
> appropriate, small data sets that illustrate their difficulties.
>
> 2. SEARCH! e.g. on "text processing R" or some such; or try Rseek.org with
> such searches. R has extensive text processing capabilities, e.g. via
> regex's.
>
> 3. "Supervised Learning algorithm" is far too vague to be useful.
>
> 4. See this CRAN task view:
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/MachineLearning.html
>
> 4. The answer to your query is almost certainly yes, but you may have to
> do some reading to clarify your thinking. As this involves primarily
> statistical issues, you may wish to post on a statistical site like
> http://stats.stackexchange.com/  to get advice. R-help site helps with R
> programming primarily, not statistical methodology (although they do
> sometimes intersect).
>
> Cheers,
> Bert

Mr. Luca Meyer