R and sun gridengine

Kim Carter
Hi

I am looking for assistance with setting up R under Sun grid engine 6
(6.0-update7). I would like to set up transparent interactive access
to R using either a qlogin or qrsh solution. While it basically works
using either method, I reach the same sticking point.  There seems
to be an issue with signalling or something, as R works ok until a
non-R command is typed in - eg "blah" - at which point the remote
session is terminated (note: i am using ssh as an rsh/rlogin replacement).

If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the  right direction,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Kim Carter

Re: R and sun gridengine

Michael Dondrup
Kim Carter wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am looking for assistance with setting up R under Sun grid engine 6
> (6.0-update7). I would like to set up transparent interactive access
> to R using either a qlogin or qrsh solution. While it basically works
> using either method, I reach the same sticking point.  There seems
> to be an issue with signalling or something, as R works ok until a
> non-R command is typed in - eg "blah" - at which point the remote
> session is terminated (note: i am using ssh as an rsh/rlogin replacement).
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the  right direction,
> it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kim Carter

Are you trying something like
'qrsh R' ? Then the reason might be a missing tty and R goes to
batch-mode, like:

bagheera:~>qrsh tty
not a tty

but:

bagheera:~>qrsh
Last login: Fri Mar 24 14:02:47 from bagheera.CeBiTe
morpheus:~> tty
/dev/pts/3

If you supply a command to qrsh, you will not have a terminal.

I think there is no switch to force R into interactive mode,like for
example for 'bash -i'. I found:
http://www.r-project.org/nocvs/mail/r-help/2002/8927.html
but have not checked if it still works.

Maybe this helps
Michael

Re: R and sun gridengine

Michael Dondrup
Michael Dondrup wrote:

> Kim Carter wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I am looking for assistance with setting up R under Sun grid engine 6
>>(6.0-update7). I would like to set up transparent interactive access
>>to R using either a qlogin or qrsh solution. While it basically works
>>using either method, I reach the same sticking point.  There seems
>>to be an issue with signalling or something, as R works ok until a
>>non-R command is typed in - eg "blah" - at which point the remote
>>session is terminated (note: i am using ssh as an rsh/rlogin replacement).
>>
>>If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the  right direction,
>>it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Kim Carter
>>

>>--

> Are you trying something like
> 'qrsh R' ? Then the reason might be a missing tty and R goes to
> batch-mode, like:
>
> bagheera:~>qrsh tty
> not a tty
>
> but:
>
> bagheera:~>qrsh
> Last login: Fri Mar 24 14:02:47 from bagheera.CeBiTe
> morpheus:~> tty
> /dev/pts/3
>
> If you supply a command to qrsh, you will not have a terminal.
>
> I think there is no switch to force R into interactive mode,like for
> example for 'bash -i'. I found:
> http://www.r-project.org/nocvs/mail/r-help/2002/8927.html
> but have not checked if it still works.
>
> Maybe this helps
> Michael

I forgot to add a much simpler solution, so try (something like):

 >qrsh xterm -e R

you might have to adjust your $DISPLAY,
in particular, if you are using Sun ray-terminals or better: use the
qxterm script (I think it comes wit sge 6, but not sure)

--
Dipl. Inform. Michael Dondrup
CeBiTec - http://www.cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de/~mdondrup