R connectivity to database

Ray D.
Hello, does anyone know how I would go about getting R to connect to OpenOffice's Base program (OOo's version of MS Access) such that I can retrieve data from the database and perform calculations and data analysis?  I'm totally new to R and Base and I've looked at some documentation, but found only examples for R connecting to PostgreSQL and MySQL, but nothing for OOo's Base (there wasn't any examples for MS Access either even though it says that R can connect to MS Access).  Is R even capable of this or am I just out of luck to use R and OOo's Base together?  Thanks in advance.

  -ray

Re: R connectivity to database

Wensui Liu
Ray,

R can talk to Ms access very well through RODBC. Here is how:

mdbConnect<-odbcConnectAccess("C:\\temp\\demo.mdb");

sqlTables(mdbConnect);

demo<-sqlFetch(mdbConnect, "tblDemo");

odbcClose(mdbConnect);

rm(demo);

On 6/23/06, Ray D. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, does anyone know how I would go about getting R to connect to
> OpenOffice's Base program (OOo's version of MS Access) such that I can
> retrieve data from the database and perform calculations and data
> analysis?  I'm totally new to R and Base and I've looked at some
> documentation, but found only examples for R connecting to PostgreSQL and
> MySQL, but nothing for OOo's Base (there wasn't any examples for MS Access
> either even though it says that R can connect to MS Access).  Is R even
> capable of this or am I just out of luck to use R and OOo's Base
> together?  Thanks in advance.
>
> -ray

WenSui Liu
(http://spaces.msn.com/statcompute/blog)
Senior Decision Support Analyst
Health Policy and Clinical Effectiveness
Cincinnati Children Hospital Medical Center

Re: R connectivity to database

Prof Brian Ripley
You have not told us your platform nor version of OO (nor what
'it' is which 'says that R can connect to MS Access').  R can certainly
connect to MS Access on Windows via RODBC, which does come with Access
examples.

I think though that it is unrealistic to claim that Base is 'OOo's version
of MS Access': it seems to be a lot less than that even in version 2.0.
Base 2.0 comes with an HSQLDB DBMS, but Base is not itself a relational
DBMS as Access is.  Both R and Base can act as ODBC clients, which may
help if you use Base to store data in a fully-fledged RDBMS such as MySQL
or SQLite.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Ray D. wrote:

> Hello, does anyone know how I would go about getting R to connect to
> OpenOffice's Base program (OOo's version of MS Access) such that I can
> retrieve data from the database and perform calculations and data
> analysis?  I'm totally new to R and Base and I've looked at some
> documentation, but found only examples for R connecting to PostgreSQL
> and MySQL, but nothing for OOo's Base (there wasn't any examples for MS
> Access either even though it says that R can connect to MS Access).  Is
> R even capable of this or am I just out of luck to use R and OOo's Base
> together?  Thanks in advance.
>
>  -ray

Re: R connectivity to database

esmetaman
You should download ODBC Driver and use RODBC Package;

Best Regards.

Juan Antonio BreƱa Moral.
Advanced Marketing Ph.D. , URJC, Spain (Now)
Industrial Organisation Engineering, ICAI, Spain.
Technical Computer Programming Engineering, ICAI, Spain
Web: http://www.juanantonio.info
Mobile: +34 655970320