Quantcast

R fails to read repo index on NGINX

Threaded

R fails to read repo index on NGINX

Roman, John
im hosting a local cran repo on an NGINX server and it fails to pull the index at /src/contrib/

the layout of the index is different from apache, could this be disrupting R?

John Roman
Linux System Administrator
RAND Corporation
[hidden email]
X7302

Threaded

Re: R fails to read repo index on NGINX

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 27 March 2017 at 17:46, Roman, John wrote:
| im hosting a local cran repo on an NGINX server and it fails to pull the index at /src/contrib/
|
| the layout of the index is different from apache, could this be disrupting R?

You mean when you look at the directory in a browser?

Should not matter.  Use any command-line client (wget, curl, ...) or R's
download.file() to slurp down  http://$MYSERVER/src/contrib/PACKAGES to
inspect, compare, ... -- and that is an absolute path so the index does not
matter.

Dirk

Threaded

Re: R fails to read repo index on NGINX

Roman, John
Dirk,
Thank you for your elaboration.  This issue is related to curl trusting a CA cert as its called by R.
curl called from bash recognizes the system cert bundle for CA's, curl called from R does not.

may I know how to trust the system certificate bundle from within R?

On 27 March 2017 at 18:27, Roman, John wrote:
| Thank you for your elaboration.  This issue is related to curl trusting a CA cert as its called by R.
| curl called from bash recognizes the system cert bundle for CA's, curl called from R does not.
|
| may I know how to trust the system certificate bundle from within R?

See 'help(download.file)' -- it's a little hidden but you can just make the
external curl (which, as you say, works in your particular circumstances) the
default for remote file access from R too.

Next time please try to be a little more specific with your questions and
their subject line.  Methinks nothing here has anything to do with the httpd
server you employ.

Dirk