R help

Catarina Maia
hello!

A few days ago I subscribed the R mailing list in order to ask for some
help. The thing is that now I am receiving a lot of mails with doubts from
other users but i am just a "R begginer" and i will not able to give useful
help.  So,  i would like to quit the from the mainling list. I'm so sorry for
the inconvenience.

best regards,

Catarina Maia

Re: R help

Berend Hasselman

On 18-01-2012, at 12:53, Catarina Maia wrote:

> hello!
>
> A few days ago I subscribed the R mailing list in order to ask for some
> help. The thing is that now I am receiving a lot of mails with doubts from
> other users but i am just a "R begginer" and i will not able to give useful
> help.

This is the purpose of a mailing list.
You don't have to reply to those mails.
Read and learn.

> So,  i would like to quit the from the mainling list. I'm so sorry for
> the inconvenience.

Is the same page where you subscribed.

Berend

> best regards,
>
> Catarina Maia

Re: R help

Poul Kristensen
Hello Catarina Maia

I'm a beginner too!

And I ask questions and people are answering very kindly.
>From what I know up til now is that R is a competitor to the
very expensive SAS statistical software. R is free to use and is
developed by professors and Ph.d's.
As of my interest right now is R's interacting with databases like
PostgreSQL(free and opensource) and Oracle(_not_ free) getting
data in and out.
Furthermore I am trying to make R usefull handling Apachelogs.
R does not consume as much machine resources(RAM,CPU) as SAS software as
is faster handling "Big data".

I hope you are encouraged to stay with the list.

Regards
Poul

2012/1/18 Berend Hasselman <[hidden email]>:

> On 18-01-2012, at 12:53, Catarina Maia wrote:
>
>> hello!
>>
>> A few days ago I subscribed the R mailing list in order to ask for some
>> help. The thing is that now I am receiving a lot of mails with doubts from
>> other users but i am just a "R begginer" and i will not able to give useful
>> help.
>
> This is the purpose of a mailing list.
> You don't have to reply to those mails.
> Read and learn.
>
>> So,  i would like to quit the from the mainling list. I'm so sorry for
>> the inconvenience.

> Is the same page where you subscribed.
>
> Berend
>
>> best regards,
>>
>> Catarina Maia
>>
>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: R help

John Kane-2
That's okay.  The mail goes to thousands of people some of whom can help with  a specfic problem.

It is very useful for some one who is a beginer to read some of the answers.

You learn a lot by reading about others problems that are similar to yours.

Otherwise do what I do: Just delete any post that is not something that you are likely
to need or which is clearly to complicated for a beginner to understand.

Re: R help

Kevin E. Thorpe
On 01/18/2012 06:53 AM, Catarina Maia wrote:

> hello!
>
> A few days ago I subscribed the R mailing list in order to ask for some
> help. The thing is that now I am receiving a lot of mails with doubts from
> other users but i am just a "R begginer" and i will not able to give useful
> help.  So,  i would like to quit the from the mainling list. I'm so sorry for
> the inconvenience.
>
> best regards,
>
> Catarina Maia

An alternative to unsubscribing is to disable mail delivery.  This is
done by signing on to your account (you should have received a
confirmation email at some point with the link and password you
created).  There you will find a check box to disable delivery.

The advantage of this approach is you don't need to re-subscribe later
if you have another question.

As others have said, you can learn many things by reading some of the
posts.  If volume is too high, you could create filters for you inbox
that automatically moves them to another folder for reading.  That's
what I do and it makes managing the volume trivial.

Kevin E. Thorpe
Biostatistician/Trialist,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's
Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
University of Toronto
email: [hidden email]  Tel: 416.864.5776  Fax: 416.864.3016

Re: R help

Michael Weylandt
I believe there's also an option to get a daily digest of that day's activity.

Michael

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Kevin E. Thorpe
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/18/2012 06:53 AM, Catarina Maia wrote:
>>
>> hello!
>>
>> A few days ago I subscribed the R mailing list in order to ask for some
>> help. The thing is that now I am receiving a lot of mails with doubts from
>> other users but i am just a "R begginer" and i will not able to give
>> useful
>> help.  So,  i would like to quit the from the mainling list. I'm so sorry
>> for
>> the inconvenience.
>>
>> best regards,
>>
>> Catarina Maia
>

> An alternative to unsubscribing is to disable mail delivery.  This is done
> by signing on to your account (you should have received a confirmation email
> at some point with the link and password you created).  There you will find
> a check box to disable delivery.
>
> The advantage of this approach is you don't need to re-subscribe later if
> you have another question.
>
> As others have said, you can learn many things by reading some of the posts.
>  If volume is too high, you could create filters for you inbox that
> automatically moves them to another folder for reading.  That's what I do
> and it makes managing the volume trivial.

> Kevin E. Thorpe
> Biostatistician/Trialist,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)
> Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's
> Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
> University of Toronto
> email: [hidden email]  Tel: 416.864.5776  Fax: 416.864.3016

Re: R help

Jhope
I am a beginner too to R and this forum! I signed onto this forum yesterday and received help overnight! I have also learn a bit by reading the posts. I took someone's suggestion and made a rule for my Inbox to filter the R emails into this folder and the listserve is now working very well for me.

Thank you for the support R help!