R minor version

Loris Bennett-2
Hi,

When I install a package as a non-root user, it gets saved in a path
such as

  ~/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.4

for any R version 3.4.x.  Thus, if I want to install the packages
somewhere else, as root say, I might do

  install.packages("somepackage","/some/where/else/R/site-library/3.4")

In this case I would then want to construct the appropriate path in,
say, /etc/Rprofile to allow the packages to be found.

However, using R.Version() gives me

  > R.Version()$minor
  [1] "4.3"

I can obviously extract the "real" minor version from the string, but
shouldn't there be a more straightforward way to obtain the part of the
version that is used in .libPaths() by default?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email [hidden email]

Re: R minor version

R help mailing list-2
> .expand_R_libs_env_var("poof/%p/%v")
[1] "poof/x86_64-w64-mingw32/3.4"

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:49 AM, Loris Bennett <[hidden email]>

> When I install a package as a non-root user, it gets saved in a path
> such as
>
>   ~/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/3.4
>
> for any R version 3.4.x.  Thus, if I want to install the packages
> somewhere else, as root say, I might do
>
>   install.packages("somepackage","/some/where/else/R/site-library/3.4")
>
> In this case I would then want to construct the appropriate path in,
> say, /etc/Rprofile to allow the packages to be found.
>
> However, using R.Version() gives me
>
>   > R.Version()$minor
>   [1] "4.3"
>
> I can obviously extract the "real" minor version from the string, but
> shouldn't there be a more straightforward way to obtain the part of the
> version that is used in .libPaths() by default?
>
> Or am I misunderstanding something?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Loris
>
> --
> Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
> ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email [hidden email]

> posting-guide.html

Re: R minor version

Henrik Bengtsson-5
This can be controlled by environment variables R_LIBS, R_LIBS_SITE,
and R_LIBS_USER, which support "conversion specifiers".  See
help(".libPaths") or aliases help("R_LIBS") etc.  You can set these in
in any of the Renviron files (~/.Renviron, /path/to/R/etc/Renviron,
/path/to/R/etc/Renviron.site).

It sounds like you're trying to set up a site-wide package library to
be shared among users.  If so, add a line:

R_LIBS_SITE=/some/where/else/R/site-%p-library/%v

and make sure that folder exists, otherwise it's silently dropped from
.libPaths().

/Henrik