[R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Jorge Cimentada
Dear CRANers!

I'm happy to announce the release of ess 0.0.1 a package designed to
download data from the European Social Survey
<http://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/> directly into R as easily as
possible. It has a few helper functions to download rounds/waves, rounds
for a selected country and to show which rounds/countries are available.

This is an exciting moment for the release considering that just last week
the ESS released it's 8th round, which is already available in the package.
You can checkout some brief examples here
<https://twitter.com/cimentadaj/status/928394896700051461> or a more
detailed description in the vignette
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ess/vignettes/ess_r_stata_users.html>.
Bugs
and improvements can be issued in the Github repository
<https://github.com/cimentadaj/ess>. This is the first release and I'm sure
there's a lot of room for improvement.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------

Jorge Cimentada
*https://cimentadaj.github.io/ <https://cimentadaj.github.io/>*

Re: [R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Sam Steingold
> * Jorge Cimentada <[hidden email]> [2017-11-09 00:02:53 +0100]:
>
> I'm happy to announce the release of ess 0.0.1 a package designed to
> download data from the European Social Survey

Given the existence of ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics -
https://ess.r-project.org/) the package name "ess" seems unfortunate.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://iris.org.il

Re: [R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Rainer Krug-2

> On 9 Nov 2017, at 15:57, Sam Steingold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> * Jorge Cimentada <[hidden email]> [2017-11-09 00:02:53 +0100]:
>>
>> I'm happy to announce the release of ess 0.0.1 a package designed to
>> download data from the European Social Survey
>
> Given the existence of ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics -
> https://ess.r-project.org/) the package name "ess" seems unfortunate.

Agreed. I would suggest to rename the package to avoid conflicts (ESS includes some R code, And I wouldn’t wonder if they would like to include it in a package?).

> --
> Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
> http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://iris.org.il
> http://mideasttruth.com http://thereligionofpeace.com https://jihadwatch.org
> MS Windows: error: the operation completed successfully.

University of Zürich

Cell:       +41 (0)78 630 66 57
email:      [hidden email]
Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

Re: [R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Jorge Cimentada
Thanks to all. Will consider this change in future releases.

-----------------------------------

Jorge Cimentada
*https://cimentadaj.github.io/ <https://cimentadaj.github.io/>*

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Rainer Krug <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 9 Nov 2017, at 15:57, Sam Steingold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * Jorge Cimentada <[hidden email]> [2017-11-09 00:02:53 +0100]:
>
> I'm happy to announce the release of ess 0.0.1 a package designed to
> download data from the European Social Survey
>

> Given the existence of ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics -
> https://ess.r-project.org/) the package name "ess" seems unfortunate.
>

> Agreed. I would suggest to rename the package to avoid conflicts (ESS
> includes some R code, And I wouldn’t wonder if they would like to include
> it in a package?).
>

> --
> Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
> http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://iris.org.il
> http://mideasttruth.com http://thereligionofpeace.com
> https://jihadwatch.org
> MS Windows: error: the operation completed successfully.

> posting-guide.html

> Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation
> Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)
>
> University of Zürich
>
> Cell:       +41 (0)78 630 66 57 <+41%2078%20630%2066%2057>
> email:      [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> Skype:      RMkrug
>
> PGP: 0x0F52F982

Re: [R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Martin Maechler

    > Thanks to all. Will consider this change in future releases.
    > -----------------------------------

    > Jorge Cimentada
    > *https://cimentadaj.github.io/ <https://cimentadaj.github.io/>*

    > On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Rainer Krug <[hidden email]>
    > wrote:

    >> On 9 Nov 2017, at 15:57, Sam Steingold <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >>
    >> * Jorge Cimentada <[hidden email]> [2017-11-09 00:02:53 +0100]:
    >>
    >> I'm happy to announce the release of ess 0.0.1 a package designed to
    >> download data from the European Social Survey
    >>
    >>
    >> Given the existence of ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics -
    >> https://ess.r-project.org/) the package name "ess" seems unfortunate.
    >>
    >>
    >> Agreed. I would suggest to rename the package to avoid conflicts (ESS
    >> includes some R code, And I wouldn’t wonder if they would like to include
    >> it in a package?).

As a matter of fact, we (the ESS core developers) have e-chatted
about this and came to the conclusion that we could get along fine with
an unrelated R package called 'ess', notably as the acronym also
makes sense for the European Social Survey.

We'd like to ask the 'ess' package authors to add something like the
following to their ess/DESCRIPTION file:

  This package ess is named to match the European Social Survey (ESS).
  It is unrelated to the Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS) project, an
  emacs-based Integrated Development Environment hosted at
  https://ess.r-project.org

and last but not least we have thought of 'reserving'  ESSR  as
the name of a CRAN package that we'd consider using for the R
part of ESS (there are others, considerably less used, notably
Julia, Stata and SAS).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
for ESS core developers

Re: [R-pkgs] Release of ess 0.0.1

Jorge Cimentada
Hi Martin,

This makes a lot of sense. Once I update the package I will add it. Could
the authors of the 'ESSR' package also add a similar note to their
DESCRIPTION file once the R part of ESS is released?

  This package 'ESSR' is named to match the Emacs Speaks Statistics (ESS)
project.
  It is unrelated to the 'ess' package, designed to download data from the
European
  Social Survey available at http://www.europeansocialsurvey.org

Thanks for raising these thoughts.

Jorge Cimentada
*https://cimentadaj.github.io/ <https://cimentadaj.github.io/>*

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Martin Maechler <[hidden email]