R vs. RStudio?

12

R vs. RStudio?

Boris Steipe
Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI but R Studio had it.

Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I missing?

Thanks,
Boris

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Bert Gunter
That is what websites are for. Go to rstudio.com and make your own judgment
. I have found that they provide much useful functionality above and beyond
R's bare bones GUI.

Bert

On Saturday, January 10, 2015, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages
> to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find
> anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last
> year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI
> but R Studio had it.
>
> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I
> missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
(650) 467-7374

"Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
certainly not wisdom."
Clifford Stoll

Re: R vs. RStudio?

John Sorkin
I urge you to try it.
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

wrote:

> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages
> to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find
> anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last
> year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI
> but R Studio had it.
>
> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I
> missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
(650) 467-7374

"Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
certainly not wisdom."
Clifford Stoll

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Rick Reeves-3
I have four years in the R trenches, and code in R  on the Ubuntu
command line and the Windows  R GUI.

Here is an RStudio comparative overview:

In the absence of  Rstudio, to construct and debug a script I need:

1) A programmer's editor (such as VIM (bad) or Bluefish (better)), in
which I enter the script
2) The R GUI / command/console  window to run the script

To test / debug the script: use the source() function to load and execute.
To pause the script: insert browser(); statements at desired stopping points
   (thus adding needles complexity to the code)
To view variable contents: use the message() and sprintf() functions to
print text

Viewing R help files using the ?() command opens another popup window or
windows with the help files.
These must be manually closed when not needed.

When using RStudio, I need:

*Only* the RStudio app running - its GUI includes:
   -  A very good color-coded programmer's editor,
   -  The R console, and (when activated), an excellent debug
information window.,
   - The Debug information window, which displays execution information
(e.g., variable values),
      once the debugger is activated (see below)

   - The R documentation window, to display help files.

      To step through /  debug the R script: Use RStudio's integrated
debugger, which takes approximately 5 minutes to learn.
                    for more info:
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200713843-Debugging-with-RStudio?version=0.98.1091&mode=desktop
                    OR within RStudio, select Debug/Debugging Help

The quality and usability of RStudio has markedly improved since the
early versions: Most beginner-level R programmers can become comfortable
using RStudio in 45 minutes. They will recoup their time investment
within the first three hours of R development.

Hope this helps,
Rick Reeves
Foxgrove Solutions, Ltd

On 1/10/2015 6:47 PM, John Sorkin wrote:

> I urge you to try it.
> John
>

> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
> Professor of Medicine
> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
> Baltimore VA Medical Center
> 10 North Greene Street
> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
> (Phone) 410-605-7119
> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)

> That is what websites are for. Go to rstudio.com and make your own judgment
> . I have found that they provide much useful functionality above and beyond
> R's bare bones GUI.
>
> Bert
>
> On Saturday, January 10, 2015, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages
>> to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find
>> anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last
>> year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI
>> but R Studio had it.
>>
>> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I
>> missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Boris

Re: R vs. RStudio?

billy am
I concur.
Pls try it.

http://billyam.com  || http://use-r.com  || http://shinyserver.com (BETA)

SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9
Oracle SQL Expert(11g)

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM, John Sorkin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I urge you to try it.
> John
>

> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
> Professor of Medicine
> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and
> Geriatric Medicine
> Baltimore VA Medical Center
> 10 North Greene Street
> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
> (Phone) 410-605-7119
> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)

> That is what websites are for. Go to rstudio.com and make your own
> judgment
> . I have found that they provide much useful functionality above and beyond
> R's bare bones GUI.
>
> Bert
>
> On Saturday, January 10, 2015, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages
> > to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find
> > anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last
> > year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R
> GUI
> > but R Studio had it.
> >
> > Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I
> > missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Boris

> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
> (650) 467-7374
>
> "Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
> certainly not wisdom."
> Clifford Stoll

> Confidentiality Statement:
> This email message, including any attachments, is for ...{{dropped:16}}

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 10/01/2015 9:22 PM, Boris Steipe wrote:
> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI but R Studio had it.
>
> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I missing?

I find several advantages, and one or two disadvantages.

 - The debugger is nicer.  You can set breakpoints in the code editor
and it installs them in the right place.

 - It has lots of support for things like Sweave, knitr, rmarkdown, etc.

 - It is easy to switch between different projects.

 - It looks the same on all platforms, so if you switch platforms you
still know what you're doing.

Negatives:

 - I don't like the tiled display.  I find it doesn't give me enough space.

 - At least until recently, I haven't checked with the latest release,
it converts files to the native format, i.e. saving a file on Windows
gives you CR LF line endings, doing it elsewhere converts them to LF.
This is really irritating when files get changed for no good reason.

Re: R vs. RStudio?

dkStevens
There are other R-friendly editors too. Tinn-R and Notepad++ come to mind.

On 1/10/2015 11:04 PM, billy am wrote:

> I concur.
> Pls try it.

> http://billyam.com  || http://use-r.com  || http://shinyserver.com (BETA)
>
> SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9
> Oracle SQL Expert(11g)
>

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM, John Sorkin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I urge you to try it.
>> John
>>

>> John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
>> Professor of Medicine
>> Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
>> University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and
>> Geriatric Medicine
>> Baltimore VA Medical Center
>> 10 North Greene Street
>> GRECC (BT/18/GR)
>> Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
>> (Phone) 410-605-7119
>> (Fax) 410-605-7913 (Please call phone number above prior to faxing)

>> That is what websites are for. Go to rstudio.com and make your own
>> judgment
>> . I have found that they provide much useful functionality above and beyond
>> R's bare bones GUI.
>>
>> Bert
>>
>> On Saturday, January 10, 2015, Boris Steipe <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages
>>> to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find
>>> anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last
>>> year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R
>> GUI
>>> but R Studio had it.
>>>
>>> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I
>>> missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Boris
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>> (650) 467-7374
>>
>> "Data is not information. Information is not knowledge. And knowledge is
>> certainly not wisdom."
>> Clifford Stoll
>>
>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> Confidentiality Statement:
>> This email message, including any attachments, is for ...{{dropped:16}}

David K Stevens, P.E., Ph.D.
Professor and Head, Environmental Engineering
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Utah Water Research Laboratory
8200 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT  84322-8200
435 797 3229 - voice
435 797 1363 - fax

Re: R vs. RStudio?

JohnDee
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 21:22:56 -0500
Boris Steipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently
> advantages to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't
> seem to find anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use
> myself) I noticed last year that there seems to be no syntax
> highlighting available for the R GUI but R Studio had it.
>
> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am
> I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Boris

There are pros and cons as with all things.  RStudio in so far R itself
is concerned is effectively simply a graphic interface for the
terminal.  You operate R from within RStudio essentially the same as
you would from a terminal.  Useful traits include a streamlined means
of installing new packages without trolling through CRAN, quick
displays of data sets and other objects currently in the work
environment, and a very handy way to build scripts for an analysis.
Commands can be run from the Console window and copied to an *.R
script which can then be fine tuned to produce analytical, tabular and
graphical output to files that is readily incorporated into a
comprehensive analysis and report.  Graphics - plots - are created and
buffered in sequence and can be saved from the plot window as image
files or pdfs without adding device() lines to the script.  A nice
addition would be an output window similar to the plot window.  As it
is, I still use sink() to capture output of tables and analytical
results.  RStudio does have some highlighting.  The biggest gotcha is
that R is not precisely the same experience under different
environments (e.g. linux vs. windows).  RStudio is more consistent
across platforms.

RStudio is not an environment like RKward or JGR where analytical tools
are available through a menu.

jwdougherty

Re: R vs. RStudio?

S Ellison-2
David Stevens [[hidden email]] wrote:
> There are other R-friendly editors too. Tinn-R and Notepad++ come to mind.

TextPad also has an R syntax file.

S Ellison

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Jeff Newmiller
The RStudio editor itself is pretty mediocre. It is the context sensitive tab-completion with as-you type help that sells it to me anyway. That, with debugging and roxygen and knitr support really make it worth looking at.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On January 11, 2015 5:03:42 PM PST, S Ellison <[hidden email]> wrote:

>David Stevens [[hidden email]] wrote:
>> There are other R-friendly editors too. Tinn-R and Notepad++ come to
>mind.
>
>TextPad also has an R syntax file.
>
>S Ellison

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Peter Dalgaard-2

> On 11 Jan 2015, at 11:30 , Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> - I don't like the tiled display.  I find it doesn't give me enough space.

This is a mixed blessing. For teaching purposes, it helps avoid shuffling windows to uncover the editor, graph window, and terminal in order to demonstrate various points.
(One can fairly quickly get used to do that for one's own purposes, but in the classroom it becomes "noise on the line".) However, the graph tile rather too easily get into the "Figure margins too large" issue and readability of the text tiles can become a problem.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Jeff Newmiller
If you have two screens the "zoom" plot window can fill the second screen. Some laptops can handle a second external screen if you use a docking station.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On 12 Jan 2015, at 09:28 , Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you have two screens the "zoom" plot window can fill the second screen. Some laptops can handle a second external screen if you use a docking station.

Unfortunately, such luxury is not available in the classroom. All too often, the projector setup is calibrated to display 3-bullet PowerPoint presentations...

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Fox, John
Dear Peter and Jeff,

I've used RStudio in teaching for quite some time now. For displaying
graphics, I open a windows() graphics device on a Windows PC or a quartz()
device on a Mac. I explain to the students that they don't have to do this,
but I'm doing it so that I can make the graphs larger. There are still some
issues arising from the paned display, but I find it reasonably simple to
adjust the size of the panes as needed during a demonstration, often pushing
the vertical divider far to the right.

Best,
 John

---

Re: R vs. RStudio?

hadley wickham
On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 2:01 AM, peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 11 Jan 2015, at 11:30 , Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> - I don't like the tiled display.  I find it doesn't give me enough space.
>>

> This is a mixed blessing. For teaching purposes, it helps avoid shuffling windows to uncover the editor, graph window, and terminal in order to demonstrate various points.
> (One can fairly quickly get used to do that for one's own purposes, but in the classroom it becomes "noise on the line".) However, the graph tile rather too easily get into the "Figure margins too large" issue and readability of the text tiles can become a problem.

I used to really dislike the tiling, but now I'm mostly ok with it
(especially once I realised RStudio is designed to be used
fullscreen). It's certainly a huge improvement for new users, since
they never lose windows behind other windows, and the same type of
thing always appears in the same place. OTOH if the projector isn't
particularly good or the room is large, and you've cranked up the size
so everyone can read it, it can be hard to fit everything on one
screen.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/

Re: R vs. RStudio?

hadley wickham
Is there a reason you don't just click the zoom button?
Hadley

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM, John Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Peter and Jeff,
>
> I've used RStudio in teaching for quite some time now. For displaying
> graphics, I open a windows() graphics device on a Windows PC or a quartz()
> device on a Mac. I explain to the students that they don't have to do this,
> but I'm doing it so that I can make the graphs larger. There are still some
> issues arising from the paned display, but I find it reasonably simple to
> adjust the size of the panes as needed during a demonstration, often pushing
> the vertical divider far to the right.
>
> Best,
>  John

http://had.co.nz/

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Peter Dalgaard-2

On 12 Jan 2015, at 17:24 , Hadley Wickham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a reason you don't just click the zoom button?
> Hadley

Two,  I think. One may be a version issue.

1. Some plots will fail if done on the unzoomed device.

2. The zoom featur has a bug (at least on OSX) where it generates a plot that doesn't quite fit the window until it is resized. (I see this with v.0.98.1028)

The first one is a generic issue with R graphics devices: Fonts don't scale proportionally to graphic elements. (One could, I suppose, consider having a graphics device for which zooming really did magnify proportionally, at least as long as the aspect ratio is constant. I.e., the tile would show a linearly shrunken version of the zoomed plot. Not sure how simple this would be to implement.)

-pd

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Fox, John
Dear Hadley,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 10:24:35 -0600
 Hadley Wickham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a reason you don't just click the zoom button?
> Hadley

Yes: To have enough room for the console and script panes, I often have to make the graphics pane too small to display a graph in the first place.

John

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM, John Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear Peter and Jeff,
> >
> > I've used RStudio in teaching for quite some time now. For displaying
> > graphics, I open a windows() graphics device on a Windows PC or a quartz()
> > device on a Mac. I explain to the students that they don't have to do this,
> > but I'm doing it so that I can make the graphs larger. There are still some
> > issues arising from the paned display, but I find it reasonably simple to
> > adjust the size of the panes as needed during a demonstration, often pushing
> > the vertical divider far to the right.
> >
> > Best,
> >  John

Re: R vs. RStudio?

Fraser D. Neiman-2

In my experience, another negative to RStudio is its performance  when trying to access  code or data files on a remote server over a VPN connection -- even modest files can take minutes to load and sometimes crash the session.

The native R GUI seems to handle this better and I often am forced to use it when working remotely. But there is enough other good stuff in RStudio to make this a bummer.

Fraser

On 10/01/2015 9:22 PM, Boris Steipe wrote:
> Could someone kindly enlighten me whether there are currently advantages to use R Studio vs. the normal R GUI? On the Mac I can't seem to find anything compelling, on Windows (which I don't use myself) I noticed last year that there seems to be no syntax highlighting available for the R GUI but R Studio had it.
>
> Surely there must be some value proposition in that project, what am I missing?

I find several advantages, and one or two disadvantages.

 - The debugger is nicer.  You can set breakpoints in the code editor and it installs them in the right place.

 - It has lots of support for things like Sweave, knitr, rmarkdown, etc.

 - It is easy to switch between different projects.

 - It looks the same on all platforms, so if you switch platforms you still know what you're doing.

Negatives:

 - I don't like the tiled display.  I find it doesn't give me enough space.

 - At least until recently, I haven't checked with the latest release, it converts files to the native format, i.e. saving a file on Windows gives you CR LF line endings, doing it elsewhere converts them to LF.
This is really irritating when files get changed for no good reason.

Re: R vs. RStudio?

tmrsg11
I use R on Mac, and I use RStudio on Windows.  That's my opinion.

I have one problem.

When I use R on Mac. The function plot() gives a graph that's cut off.

For example, try

plot(rnorm(100)

I believe there should be space below "index" on x-axis.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Mike

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Fraser D. Neiman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In my experience, another negative to RStudio is its performance  when
> trying to access  code or data files on a remote server over a VPN
> connection -- even modest files can take minutes to load and sometimes
> crash the session.
>
> The native R GUI seems to handle this better and I often am forced to use
> it when working remotely. But there is enough other good stuff in RStudio
> to make this a bummer.
>

> Fraser

12