R vs SAS and Revolution R

skan
Hello

How do you compare R to SAS in terms of speed and management of large datasets?

What about Revolution R?
I've seen on their site, they claim that Revolution R is much faster than R and it's multithread...
Can you really notice the difference?. What dissadvantage does it have?
I think it's based on R 2.10.   but R  already issued the version 2.12

Regards

What alternative to R would you use in order to merge asynchronus time series?. SAS, Stata, eViews...?

Re: R vs SAS and Revolution R

Wensui Liu
it really depends on how you define "large dataset".

In a corporate production environment, it is not unusual to do data
manipulation for x-G dataset. In this case, SAS might be preferred
from my personal experience.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM, skan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> How do you compare R to SAS in terms of speed and management of large
> datasets?
>
> What about Revolution R?
> I've seen on their site, they claim that Revolution R is much faster than R
> and it's multithread...
> Can you really notice the difference?. What dissadvantage does it have?
> I think it's based on R 2.10.   but R  already issued the version 2.12
>

> Regards
>

> What alternative to R would you use in order to merge asynchronus time
> series?. SAS, Stata, eViews...?

Re: R vs SAS and Revolution R

Bogaso
When the version 2.12 is issued? Is it available for download (windows
version)? Currently I am using the version 2.11.1

Re: R vs SAS and Revolution R

Joshua Wiley-2
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Bogaso Christofer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> When the version 2.12 is issued? Is it available for download (windows
> version)? Currently I am using the version 2.11.1

It is still in development, but you can get the development version
for windows here:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html

or 64-bit here:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows64/base/rdevel.html

Josh

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student
Health Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles

Re: R vs SAS and Revolution R

Tal Galili
Regarding R and REvolution, there was a post published recently comparing
the two:
http://www.r-bloggers.com/comparing-standard-r-with-revoutions-for-performance/

Regarding the rest, I don't know...

Tal

----------------Contact
Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM, skan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> How do you compare R to SAS in terms of speed and management of large
> datasets?
>
> What about Revolution R?
> I've seen on their site, they claim that Revolution R is much faster than R
> and it's multithread...
> Can you really notice the difference?. What dissadvantage does it have?
> I think it's based on R 2.10.   but R  already issued the version 2.12
>

> Regards
>

> What alternative to R would you use in order to merge asynchronus time
> series?. SAS, Stata, eViews...?

Re: R vs SAS and Revolution R

Brian Ripley
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010, Joshua Wiley wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Bogaso Christofer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When the version 2.12 is issued? Is it available for download (windows
>> version)? Currently I am using the version 2.11.1
>
> It is still in development, but you can get the development version
> for windows here:
>

> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html
>
> or 64-bit here:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows64/base/rdevel.html
And note that those two pages have the same content: only for the
2.11.x series are there separate 32- and 64-bit distributions of
Windows R (simply because there was not enough time for the planned
integration).